Todd15Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
To add ... keep the TC & AH nannies turned on when street driving - too many unknown variables. Turn them off only at the track.
I was in sport mode while driving. It put it in rain/snow when it rained, no matter what.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I was in sport mode while driving. It put it in rain/snow when it rained, no matter what.
In Sport Mode the AdvanceTrac is still enabled with TC & Stability Control, but at a reduced level. Apparently it's reduced enough to get into trouble under certain conditions.

SynisterGT

Kooks + Corsa FTW!!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Mag/Redline
Glad to hear you are ok sir! Get well soon!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
In Sport Mode the AdvanceTrac is still enabled with TC & Stability Control, but at a reduced level. Apparently it's reduced enough to get into trouble under certain conditions.
If ambient temperatures are low enough (and your tires are temperature-sensitive enough) it won't matter if stability control is left at its most conservative setting. There won't be enough grip available for it to work with to cover many foreseeable situations including accident avoidance maneuvers.

Todd - I'm really sorry to hear about this and I hope you mend as quickly and completely as possible.

Norm

Sponsored

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
Sorry to hear about the wreck. I'm glad you walked away from it, looks like a hell of a crash! Good luck with your future projects.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Thanks folks!!

I was accelerating in 1st gear, not to Redline mind you, grabbed 2nd and the car just started to fishtail to the right, I corrected it back to the left as there was on coming traffic, car went back to the right then down a 2' deep drainage culvert, leaped over a driveway, got airborne and flew 20' in the air, landed on the right front passenger wheel/fender. Car then flipped up in the air and spun where my side hit a huge oak tree, missing the back of my head by 6-7". After the impact on the tree, the car remained airborne and flipped all the way over and came to rest on the roof.

There was some white paint on the road, that had dried but was slick as hell. When I hit 2nd, I was on the big patch of white paint and lost all traction. I was running about48-51 at the time the car jumped the driveway.
If only the car behind you had a dashcam. :doh:

Just curious, did you have the traction control off completely? Track mode? Sport mode? etc.

Sounds a lot like many other stories..... lost traction, (over) corrected one way, went the other and destroyed the car, and the coffee, and the spectators. Ford really needs to work on better cars&coffee, I mean traction control systems. (yes, I know there was no coffee.... THIS TIME)

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Ford really needs to work on better cars&coffee, I mean traction control systems. (yes, I know there was no coffee.... THIS TIME)
They already have!
It's called,.......leaving TC and/or "at least" Advance Trac enabled. :thumbsup:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
No, it's called driving normally outside of car shows and not showing off your Mustang...

It's a Mustang... not some exotic car people actually want to see do something cool.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If only the car behind you had a dashcam. :doh:

Just curious, did you have the traction control off completely? Track mode? Sport mode? etc.

Sounds a lot like many other stories..... lost traction, (over) corrected one way, went the other and destroyed the car, and the coffee, and the spectators. Ford really needs to work on better cars&coffee, I mean traction control systems. (yes, I know there was no coffee.... THIS TIME)
I've had the car step sideways on me shifting to 2nd on a newly damp road, all the systems on, and not accelerating all that hard. It can happen sometimes, even to very good drivers.

The biggest issue with the people made famous at cars and coffee is not so much the steering overcorrect, but the throttle. On the S197, which has a bit poorer pitch control, chopping the throttle once the tail starts coming around is very hard to save. You have to keep some throttle in it when counter steering so you don't transfer so much weight to the front. The other is just people that have no clue whatsoever and heads that barely fit in the car.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If ambient temperatures are low enough (and your tires are temperature-sensitive enough) it won't matter if stability control is left at its most conservative setting. There won't be enough grip available for it to work with to cover many foreseeable situations including accident avoidance maneuvers.
Thing is, TC should catch the wheels spinning and cut power to stop the traction loss if you're not already too far sideways. I've had TC kick in instantly as soon as it senses even a small amount of tire spin, and that stopped any rear end fish tailing out of control.

If in Sport Mode, it might be possible to get out of control before TC senses anything, and if the road is slippery stability control can't save it.

Like I said before, too many unknown variables on public roads to get real nuts with the car unless your on a road you totally know.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thing is, TC should catch the wheels spinning and cut power to stop the traction loss if you're not already too far sideways.
Thing is, there are conditions where the level of grip isn't good enough for even that to be a guaranteed 'save'. Conditions where there isn't enough grip to let briefly locked tires get up to full rolling speed again fast enough after the ABS releases brake line pressure (trust me on this one, I've been to the edges of it on the first session out lap on a cold track day).

What probably bothers me the most is the apparent belief by so many people these days that the nannies can and will save them in all situations before they go completely Tango Uniform. They can't and they won't.

Norm

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thing is, there are conditions where the level of grip isn't good enough for even that to be a guaranteed 'save'. Conditions where there isn't enough grip to let briefly locked tires get up to full rolling speed again fast enough after the ABS releases brake line pressure (trust me on this one, I've been to the edges of it on the first session out lap on a cold track day).
I'm talking specifically about TC, not SC/AH. If enabled, TC should cut engine power (not apply brakes like in SC/AH) when the system senses excessive wheel spin. The TC on my GT works well from what I've experience. If I nailed the throttle it's not going to let the rear end fish tail out of control, regardless of the road surface.

What probably bothers me the most is the apparent belief by so many people these days that the nannies can and will save them in all situations before they go completely Tango Uniform. They can't and they won't.
Of course these nannies aren't going to save you in ever situation. But it also depends on how well the system works. My C5 Vettes TC and AH worked very well and saved me quite a few times from losing it. If they were disables it probably would have ended up in a crash.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
This was a really dangerous situation that could have seriously injured or killed others, glad everything turned out ok for everyone. Threads with people losing control of these cars are all too common it seems.
Sponsored