Sponsored

Bad paint job

ISSA V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 Custom body hottie
I recently had a paint job 2 weeks ago on my 2016 orange v6 (Cervinis hood/Gt350 front bumper/Premium rear), and upon initial inspection it seemed to be a pretty solid job. I get the car paint corrected and ceramic coated and the paint starts peeling on the hood and rear bumper after the fact.

Now the paint comes with a lifetime warranty. In my mind, if I'm having these issues only 2 weeks later, I don't to know what might happen months/years down the road. If I have them repaint the pieces, would they then be responsible for reimbursing me what I wasted on the ceramic pro package? Obviously the coatings would have to be buffed off.

Thoughts?

Edit: I paid for the paint job with a credit card. If the paint shop refuses to pay for a recoat, would I be wrong to chargeback a partial amount equal to the cost of getting the coats redone on any worked panels? What would you do?
Sponsored

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
give the paint more time to completely cure as well. its still gonna be soft. if you can try and wait almost a month. definitely sounds like they did not prep properly though.

OP
OP
ISSA V6

ISSA V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 Custom body hottie
And the second part of the question, would it be reasonable to have them reimburse me the cost of recoating the panels in ceramic.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
What is peeling? Is it the clear, the base under the clear, or the sealer under the base? If its the clear, they waited to long to apply the clear. Same goes for base over the sealer if its coming up. If its the sealer then they didnt prep(sand) it properly. Regardless of which it is their process is not correct. If you are having an issue now, it will only get worse in the future. Unfortunately there is no way to correct it without sanding it down and starting over. There is no easy remedy for peeling paint.

Sponsored

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
And the second part of the question, would it be reasonable to have them reimburse me the cost of recoating the panels in ceramic.
Of course they should re-reimburse you for the ceramic coating, their shoddy job shouldn't screw you over, unless they specifically stated in writing not to do paint correction and ceramic coating until after a certain amount of time to let the paint cure. Sounds like you got it done pretty quick

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
90 days before applying wax, but I don't know about ceramic coating. You have to give the paint time for the solvents to dry in the paint.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Ceramic is like an extreme, rigid version of a wax so, yeah, he definitely did it way too early. Based on my experience with people's ability to follow instructions with medications I'm sure they warned him. With no pics there's no way to know where the problem is, and it may be with the color or clear, but they owe you nothing on the ceramic coating.

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Ceramic is like an extreme, rigid version of a wax so, yeah, he definitely did it way too early. Based on my experience with people's ability to follow instructions with medications I'm sure they warned him. With no pics there's no way to know where the problem is, and it may be with the color or clear, but they owe you nothing on the ceramic coating.
I agree. If they didn't tell you DONT WAX THIS FOR A MONTH (or 2) then yeah go ahead and get after them, but I'm nearly positive they would've told you that. You can have them respray it and ask about the ceramic coat reimbursement. As a company they should do it just for a good image and ask for a good review but honestly they dont owe it to you.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yea you should have probably waited for at least 30 days for the paint to gas out become rigid.
The ceramic coating might have done some molecular reaction to the paint causing it to lift.
Coating might also cause the new paint to unable to breath so all that gas is building under the paint lifting it from the metal.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
90 days after painting before sealing it in. Still waiting on my dads Fairlane to completely cure before I throw the black fire to it.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Depending on their policy they might not even repaint it, because you don't touch new paint for at least 30 days. If they do repaint I highly doubt they will reimburse you for the coating.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Id have it all repainted and not say a damn word about tje coating your going to eat that cost ornask for trouble bringing it up.

X2 on them prolly not scuffing the panels enough before primer and base coat clear coat.

Just my 2 cents

As for not touching new paint for 30 days ANY quality shop should be UV baking paint these days if they dont step 1 is find a new shop! LOL

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
even if you bake it , it does'nt matter still have to wait to use wax or sealant you should'nt even use car wash on the new paint for least 20 days ..as for the coating that stuff is no joke on new paint cause its made to go down into the clear coat.. id be willing to bet that's what made the clear peel. if its base coat peeling then thats a crap job of prepping. i've been painting for 10 yrs, and never had a come back ever .so its either the shop didnt prep right or the coating ate to far into the clear coat

just to be clear its not the shop fault the paint is peeling .now it would be if you didnt get it coated and it started peeling then there on the hook for a redo.. im willing to bet 100% it was the coating..and buffing it opens up the clear so it can flatten out with the heat of the compound and pad .so that coating etched itself even deeper into the clear..

i mean do what you need to do . but dont blame the shop for bad paint unless you know they screwed up. im speaking from a painters point of view of course.. nothing worse then a job that you know is done right come back cause the customer did something they shouldnt have ..makes us painters look bad

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Clarify. You are saying a peeling paint job is not the shops fault? Stating buffing and the coating caused it? What kind of clear do you use? If the mil thickness is so thin that buffing(color sanding) opened it up to the point it failed, that’s on the shop. Now if the clear discolored before properly being cured, that’s a different story. Baking helps the process but it does not fully cure the substrates on a paint job. Only time for proper outgassing will do that. Without a few good photo’s this is all little more then guessing and conjecture. Regardless of the cause it is all one hundred percent on the shop. They should have at the very least given the op a list of what and what not to do for x amount of time.

even if you bake it , it does'nt matter still have to wait to use wax or sealant you should'nt even use car wash on the new paint for least 20 days ..as for the coating that stuff is no joke on new paint cause its made to go down into the clear coat.. id be willing to bet that's what made the clear peel. if its base coat peeling then thats a crap job of prepping. i've been painting for 10 yrs, and never had a come back ever .so its either the shop didnt prep right or the coating ate to far into the clear coat

just to be clear its not the shop fault the paint is peeling .now it would be if you didnt get it coated and it started peeling then there on the hook for a redo.. im willing to bet 100% it was the coating..and buffing it opens up the clear so it can flatten out with the heat of the compound and pad .so that coating etched itself even deeper into the clear..

i mean do what you need to do . but dont blame the shop for bad paint unless you know they screwed up. im speaking from a painters point of view of course.. nothing worse then a job that you know is done right come back cause the customer did something they shouldnt have ..makes us painters look bad
Sponsored