Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I replaced one of my rear tires this morning, I had replaced the other rear tire a month ago.

A few observations;

1. Always replace them in pairs. The car has felt terrible with one new tire and one 50% tire on the back.

2. Removing the old tire and installing the new tire on these black painted PP wheels is a real chore, and very difficult to do without scratching the rim.

I had learned here that these rims are reverse removal/mount rims, and the tire guys did the work that way. And it still took 3-4 people to get the old tire off and the new one on, and lots of hand towels to keep the rim from getting scratched.

Replacing one tire took close to 1.5 hours, and at one point all 4 guys in the shop were huddled around the tire mounting machine helping get the tire on.

Is there some crucial bit of info I'm missing about changing tires on these rims? Is there some special tire mounting machine my shop doesn't have that would make the process easier?
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I replaced one of my rear tires this morning, I had replaced the other rear tire a month ago.

A few observations;

1. Always replace them in pairs. The car has felt terrible with one new tire and one 50% tire on the back.

2. Removing the old tire and installing the new tire on these black painted PP wheels is a real chore, and very difficult to do without scratching the rim.

I had learned here that these rims are reverse removal/mount rims, and the tire guys did the work that way. And it still took 3-4 people to get the old tire off and the new one on, and lots of hand towels to keep the rim from getting scratched.

Replacing one tire took close to 1.5 hours, and at one point all 4 guys in the shop were huddled around the tire mounting machine helping get the tire on.

Is there some crucial bit of info I'm missing about changing tires on these rims? Is there some special tire mounting machine my shop doesn't have that would make the process easier?
Replacing tires in pairs is as old as sliced bread.

Find a new tire place lol. Sounds like you went to retard tire. 4 guys and an hour and a half for 1 tire? That's mental. Imagine you needed all 4 done? Umm sir that'll be 6 hours labour plus mounting and balancing cost!

I have 2 sets of 20" black rims for my fx35 and have had tires on and off numerous times. Took less than an hour each time and zero marks. That's for all 4 tires.

A tire machine shouldn't be touching any part of your rim with anything except the Teflon/rubber/plastic guide. This also should be changed pretty often or else your gonna get scratched rims.

Moral of this story. Don't go back to that place for tires. Seems like they don't know what they're doing. I've had rims ruined by a shop before and it isn't fun. Thankfully yours were spared! :cheers:

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I recently had a rear tire losing air pressure through a valve. They dismounted the tire, added a new valve, and I noticed my wheel had a very slight dent on the edge. This was at discount tire where these guys do really good work but this time they slightly missed the mark on perfection. Unless you're looking for it, you'll see it. What I'm trying to say is, Discount Tire does a good job, you just need to let them know how particular you are about your wheels after my experience.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP

A few observations;

Man thats nuts i had my rear tires replaced under 30mn both of them they had a machine with plastic parts so that the rims wouldnt get hurt and there was not one single scratch on them. You should go somewhere else.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
That's crazy.
I just had all four of mine replaced today AND a 2 wheel alignment, and it was done in an hour and a half.
I didnt scrutinize my wheels, but a quick look at all four and I didnt see anything wrong with any of them. I'll give them a closer look tomorrow when I wash the car.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
That's crazy.
I just had all four of mine replaced today AND a 2 wheel alignment, and it was done in an hour and a half.
I didnt scrutinize my wheels, but a quick look at all four and I didnt see anything wrong with any of them. I'll give them a closer look tomorrow when I wash the car.
I replace all four. It's nice to have new rubber on all four corners.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I replace all four. It's nice to have new rubber on all four corners.
Yes it is. It drives so much better now. Two of the P Zeros were bald and it was kinda sketchy going to work in the mornings when the temp was below 40 degrees.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you need a better tire place, perhaps somewhere that has better equipment and staff that know how to use it.

My PP wheels have seen tires dismounted and remounted 5 times already, and no drama or scratches yet, but I do tend to use race shops for the work instead of the usual high-turnover tire places.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Its an extremely poor shop that let you replace one tire on an axle which is one of the big no-no's in the tire world.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I'm more interest how you are at 50% on your rear that that was replaced last month....

ShadowS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
Where did you go to get your tires replaced so that I can completely avoid that place?
Sponsored