Bigmac

Loud Noises
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
About to pull the trigger on headers. Trying to decide between Kooks and ARH. May do a full system from either. May end up with just the headers and then the Armytrix catback. I may supercharge in the future, but not 100% sure.

If you had to pick from these 2 brands, who would you pick and why?

With current plans to stay NA, but possible future plans to do a blower, which diameter (1 3/4, 1 7/8, or 2) would you select and why?

Other than price, is there any reason to consider any other brands out there? Not worried about the cost. I believe I've picked the best two brands to select from. But I'm open to input on why a different setup may be better.

-James
Sponsored

gsperaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Beefcake has kooks on sale, I just ordered kooks catted 1-3/4'' since I plan to stay N/A. From all my research under 600hp 1-3/4'' give plenty of room to breath.
Very little difference in power curve between the 2 with a N/A car.

OP
OP
Bigmac

Bigmac

Loud Noises
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a direct account with Kooks and ARH, so I've got the hookup angle covered.

I figured 1 3/4" would be the way to go if NA. I guess I'm curious if going 1 7/8" while still NA will have any adverse effects down low that would then force me to do a blower in the near future? I don't want to sacrifice low end just to get more mid and peak. I'd like to have a solid powerband all around. I know it's only a little over a 3mm difference overall, so minimal.

Did you select Kooks based solely on the sale price? Or is there something about their product that made you select it over ARH?

-James

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I dont think you can go wrong with either. I would personally lean towards ARH but they are local to me. My friend is going to do one of their catted header sets soonish so maybe then I can comment more on them.

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
I have a direct account with Kooks and ARH, so I've got the hookup angle covered.

I figured 1 3/4" would be the way to go if NA. I guess I'm curious if going 1 7/8" while still NA will have any adverse effects down low that would then force me to do a blower in the near future? I don't want to sacrifice low end just to get more mid and peak. I'd like to have a solid powerband all around. I know it's only a little over a 3mm difference overall, so minimal.

Did you select Kooks based solely on the sale price? Or is there something about their product that made you select it over ARH?

-James
I ran 1-7/8" ARH on my 12 GT. It was the first mod. No power loss down low. You should be good to go.

Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I am N/A for right now. I went with Kooks 1 7/8. I felt no power loss at all. Pro Charger is next for me.

OP
OP
Bigmac

Bigmac

Loud Noises
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am N/A for right now. I went with Kooks 1 7/8. I felt no power loss at all. Pro Charger is next for me.
Have you dyno'd at your current power level? If so, what was your baseline when stock and what is your power level now?

-James

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Running the Kooks setup. I went with Kooks because they use the "step-up" system on their headers. It is supposed to give you the down low tq, and the breath up top. Have to say I love the system. I have a catless mid pipe or X going to the OEM mufflers.

I plan on staying N/A and I been told many times my car sounds glorious getting in it. I dropped a Youtube of it in another thread, hopefully it will not get deleted or get me in trouble lol.

I had AR on my 11 Shelby. Loved it too, but I decided on Kooks this time around as people I spoke to said it had a better fit for the GT350's and heh I got a awesome deal from Beefcake.

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT
I personally went with the Kooks 1 7/8" catless headers based on their reputation, fitment, and quality. I currently am NA but will be going FI in the spring. With the headers, Corsa Xtreme Catback, JLT, and tune the car put down 430/405. Stock was 383/352. You can see the HUGE improvement over stock, 50+ TQ at about 41-4200 RPMS.
2017.09.06 15GT Dyno.jpg

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Sorry fellas, don't mean to hijack this thread but I am in the same boat as the OP, meaning I am between 1 7/8 Kooks vs ARH (both catted version) to prepare for my Procharger upgrade next year. I'd say my biggest concerns are low end torque (the blower won't do much until 3k rpm and I have an automatic) and fitment. I have a Corsa Sport catback installed right now and plan on keeping it. ARH offers longtubes that are specially designed to bolt up to the Corsa system but not sure if Kooks offers the same. I strongly prefer bolt-up vs welding. From the replies so far, it also seems like Kooks do more for the low end compared to ARH. Thanks!

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
if you def staying n/a i would go or the 1 3/4 or at the most or a stepped design,

people tend to overshoot on headers, and the 1 3/4 will be plenty

feel free to give me a ring with any q's you have on your build or setup

513-478-1965

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT
Sorry fellas, don't mean to hijack this thread but I am in the same boat as the OP, meaning I am between 1 7/8 Kooks vs ARH (both catted version) to prepare for my Procharger upgrade next year. I'd say my biggest concerns are low end torque (the blower won't do much until 3k rpm and I have an automatic) and fitment. I have a Corsa Sport catback installed right now and plan on keeping it. ARH offers longtubes that are specially designed to bolt up to the Corsa system but not sure if Kooks offers the same. I strongly prefer bolt-up vs welding. From the replies so far, it also seems like Kooks do more for the low end compared to ARH. Thanks!
Kooks are bolt ons as well, no welding necessary.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Dang...Kooks are $1,520 and ARH are $1,526...no clue what to do...does one create a deeper sound over the other?

OP
OP
Bigmac

Bigmac

Loud Noises
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Order placed! Went with the following:

1151H410 - "2015 + Mustang 5.0L 4V 1 7/8"" x 3"" Stainless Steel Headers w/Off Road OEM Connection Includes O2 Bungs"

11515111 - "2015 + Mustang 5.0L 4V Coupe or Convertible Full 3” Cat Back Exhaust that connects to Kooks Long Tubes. Includes 3” X-Pipe, 3” Mandrel Bent Tubes, 3” Oval Race Mufflers and 4” Double Wall Slash Cut Black Tips. No Cats."
Sponsored