MT82 to 6R80 Swap

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I know there are a few threads discussing this but I just finished the swap and wanted to post a few things that I learned. I bought my transmission, converter, steering wheel and driveshaft used. The rest of the parts were purchased new. I spent 1700 for trans and converter, 90 for steering wheel and 85 for driveshaft. I spent 1100 on new parts. Please shoot me a PM if you have any additional questions.

1a. Return your car back to stock if using SCT Tuner to Unmarry tuner in case VIN changes.
1b. Must have access to dealer IDS code or someone certified with NASTAF to reset the PATS after flashing the new PCM. PATS can be reset on 2011-13 cars without dealer login but you still need ford software to program PCM.
2. I loaded AS-Built for 2015 Auto but input my manual vin when asked if VIN was correct
3. If converting car with performance pack gauges you must use AS-Built from a 50th anniversary or have your tuner change voltage for oil pressure switch
4. I used forscan to update all modules but the PCM
4a. You can view as built for any VIN here https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt
5. Manual instrument cluster will work but gear indicator at the bottom will not be there. It will show gears when in sport mode using paddle shifters. You can add gears to manual cluster on 2011-13.
6. I am using stock pedals and I plan to remove clutch pedal eventually
7. some part numbers are wrong in the list on the forum. use the zip file attached for parts
8. The cluster and harnesses will vary depending on when your car was built and if it is a performance pack car.
9. I am still getting a code stating my vehicle block ID is not correct. I think this is due to having auto as-built data with manual VIN. I am planning to get this fixed eventually. My car runs great with no check engine light or ABS light. All drive modes and line lock work great.
10. If using a stock auto drive shaft you have to change the yoke on the manual differential. You must use caution when changing this because it could upset the bearing preload. Another option is getting a new driveshaft with manual yoke. Shaftmasters is a great source for the hybrid auto manual driveshaft.
11. I am using stock master cylinder resevoir but I had to plug off the nipple going to the clutch master cylinder.
12. The manual battery harness will work but you will have two extra rear o2 sensor plugs and two manual transmission plugs. I currently have the tied out of the way. i may cut them in the future.
13. The manual says you need to reprogram keys after resetting PATS but I think you can get by without doing this.
14. When installing the trans cooler install the hoses on the cooler, then install it.
15.A 2011-up F150 transmission will work if you make a bracket for the shift cable. We may try this in the future because they can be had for 500 bucks or less. The bracket is made by performance automatic PN#PA68502
16. www.car-part.com is a great resource to find used parts
17. I ordered all my new parts from parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/
18. Some post say you need new bellhousing bolts but I reused my originals
19. I used procedure here to keep oginal VIN http://www.searchautoparts.com/moto...-repair/ford-pcm-programming-other-procedures
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I see an absolute ton of 6r80 from 3.7l mustangs out there. Do you think it's completely different?

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I think the case is different. If I wanted to save money i would go with a F150 transmission.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Sub'd for later use, thanks for posting this!

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I am just glad others are starting to use the information. It was tough to do the swap when I did it because some of the information was missing.

Sponsored

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
We just finished this swap over the weekend. On our shop car, wish I knew this was here. I would have been updating as I went.

Kcc basically did it exactly as we did, but we used IDS to do everything. Even with an IDS you need access to NASTAF for the keys. Thankfully I had a locksmith buddy that did the keys for us. A truck trans will work with the right shift lever and cable bracket.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
We just finished this swap over the weekend. On our shop car, wish I knew this was here. I would have been updating as I went.

Kcc basically did it exactly as we did, but we used IDS to do everything. Even with an IDS you need access to NASTAF for the keys. Thankfully I had a locksmith buddy that did the keys for us. A truck trans will work with the right shift lever and cable bracket.

Man that nice twin disc u put in their and now u swap to auto lol.

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I was wondering it you could use the shift cable from a f150 but the mustang shifter. i know you can make a bracket that bolts to the trans pan but i thought that might be another option. Were you able to keep manual VIN?

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Man that nice twin disc u put in their and now u swap to auto lol.
I loved our RAM Twin Disc, it was effortless and held whatever we threw at it. MT82 was the issue.

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
Performance Pack guy here, Question...

So - I used the harness in the parts list here.. Seem to have a plug for everything... great. haha..

What I'm seeing though is I believe i possibly have is some extra 02 plugs that are on the power harness ??? Am I seeing things ? They appear to be rear 02' and the manual trans harns.. Did you guys just ziptie these out of the way ? lol ?

Sponsored
OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Performance Pack guy here, Question...

So - I used the harness in the parts list here.. Seem to have a plug for everything... great. haha..

What I'm seeing though is I believe i possibly have is some extra 02 plugs that are on the power harness ??? Am I seeing things ? They appear to be rear 02' and the manual trans harns.. Did you guys just ziptie these out of the way ? lol ?
Yes I just tied the ones that were used when it was a manual car out of the way. the only way around this is to change out the harness that the feeds the starter and other things. My car is working fine with the tied out of the way.

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes I just tied the ones that were used when it was a manual car out of the way. the only way around this is to change out the harness that the feeds the starter and other things. My car is working fine with the tied out of the way.
Yup just ties the manual ones out of the way.

RYAN97812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Guys all factory options work after the swap? I.E. cruise control, line lock, drive modes etc

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
Thanks!

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Guys all factory options work after the swap? I.E. cruise control, line lock, drive modes etc
Everything works fine just like it came from the factory that way. The only thing I don't have is the gear indicator showing up on the cluster because I kept my stock manual one. It does show what gear it is in in sport mode using paddle shifters.
Sponsored