Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My update:

Finished with the S550 vibe. As you all know, I have extensive documentation, emails, records etc. Over the course of the last month or so, I have been working with my current Ford CSR. She had elevated my dissatisfaction with the whole “new car experience”, the extensive warranty work and the fact that the vibe has yet again returned just as bad, even after being previously “fixed” (no BS). I’m now in contact with Ford RAV who has approved the replacement. Paperwork has been started; my 2016 will be getting replaced with a 2018.

The aforementioned replacement process is a process in itself; once I have been made whole - I’ll provide more info.

One thing I want to bring up for those who have had their vehicle in the shop for this issue and have not had 100% complete satisfaction:

Think of the detrimental effects a driveline vibration has on ALL associated components of rotating mass (ie: engine, transmission and rear diff) when driving daily at prolonged constant speeds of 55mph+... no joking matter.

Sure, there’s ways to bandaid the problem (SSM hose clamps, balancing bands/weights, etc) so it subsides, but it does not correct the underlying problem nor does it correct any internal damage that has already occurred - especially on vehicles where the problem returns or is a persistent issue.
Sponsored

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
You need to know your tire "Revolutions Per Mile". More or less the same for all factory S550 Mustangs, it shouldn't matter if you are running 18, 19 or 20" wheels) All of the factory sizes are within 1% or so.

For example I Googled the Revolutions Per Mile of a 255/40/19
It turns 746 Rev's Per Mile.

DS speed= tire Revs Per Mile x MPH/60 x Diff Gear Ratio /60

So for me, 746 x 68.3MPH/60 x 3.31 /60 = 46.85 Rev's Per Second.

My vibration app showed a loud sound at 48 Hz. (ie. something is vibrating 48 times per second) Given that my iPad is not likely a precise sound device and a host of other small errors, those numbers looked like a match to me.

The wheels were turning 746 x 68.3 / 60 /60 = 14.15 Revs Per Second So that was not a match at all.

In case you are wondering about the 68.3 Mph speed, I was actually going 110 Kph (in Canada) so I converted to Mph for this example.
I just looked up my 235/50/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 - 766 rev per mile. I found the info at tirerack.com. My vibration/noise is pretty strong at 55 mph so using your math, my DS should be running at 39 revolutions per second. I'm gonna download the app you used and see if I get similar results.:cheers:

CtheProducer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium | 3.55 rear |
Well good news on this front, I took the car in this morning to have the engineer from Ford look at it, and had the car back by 5pm vibration free. Guess I really did need to try that second hose clamp.... They used the vibe tool, balanced and bam, no more vibe. Two hose clamps installed.

You can still somewhat hear this deeper rumble. But it never changes, especially at speeds 80+. (Prior DIY attempts with one hose clamp only solved things at the 50 to 70ish range). And there is no more steering wheel / window / rear mirror / radar detector vibrations going on, so thats a huge plus.

Overall everyone was very helpful and nice about it. I was given a new 18' F-150 as a loaner, and am really enjoying the vibe free car. I would say if your looking to get your mustang fixed by Ford, but the dealership is not doing anything about it, call BBB Auto line, open a case about driveline vibrations and things start to move a lot quicker.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Well good news on this front, I took the car in this morning to have the engineer from Ford look at it, and had the car back by 5pm vibration free. Guess I really did need to try that second hose clamp.... They used the vibe tool, balanced and bam, no more vibe. Two hose clamps installed.

People are reporting the vibes coming back sometimes, you should take a paint pen and draw a line across the clamps and driveshaft to see if they ever move out of position.

CtheProducer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium | 3.55 rear |
People are reporting the vibes coming back sometimes, you should take a paint pen and draw a line across the clamps and driveshaft to see if they ever move out of position.
I was actually just thinking drawing the line would be a good idea if the vibes ever came back. I did see where some guys went another 1,000 or so miles and it returned.

I drive highway to work everyday, so will not take long to get some time on these little clamps at speed.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Its pretty sad these days that you have to get into their arses to get something done! Unfortunately thats the state of most dealerships!! Hoping it stays good for the life your car!

Last edited:

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
I just looked up my 235/50/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 - 766 rev per mile. I found the info at tirerack.com. My vibration/noise is pretty strong at 55 mph so using your math, my DS should be running at 39 revolutions per second. I'm gonna download the app you used and see if I get similar results.:cheers:
Downloaded a vibration analysis app, attached my phone to the steering wheel and whaddya know - it picked up a 1st order vibration at 38-39hz while running at 55mph. I've been dealing with the service manager at my dealer. Let's see what he says about this Monday morning when I drop the car off for an already scheduled service appt.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i will tell you what most of them say" its within spec"!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I'm due to receive my drive shaft balance masters part today, it requires that you disconnect the ds in order to put it on. It mounts 6 inches up from the end of the driveshaft. You can put it on the front or the back of the ds. I'm choosing the back! I think this is going to work well . Right now my vibes are minumal its about 95% vibe free this product should do the rest! Will keep you posted!!

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Update: I'm due to receive my drive shaft balance masters part today, it requires that you disconnect the ds in order to put it on. It mounts 6 inches up from the end of the driveshaft. You can put it on the front or the back of the ds. I'm choosing the back! I think this is going to work well . Right now my vibes are minumal its about 95% vibe free this product should do the rest! Will keep you posted!!

Interesting. Looked to me like it's split and you didn't have to remove the DS. Eager to hear how well it works.

What size did you buy?

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Looked to me like it's split and you didn't have to remove the DS. Eager to hear how well it works.

What size did you buy?
no the part that splits is the mount that clamps on top of it and to the ds. the unit is rubber filled with liquid silver it can be stretched!!! size is 3.5 "

Last edited:

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
no the part that splits is the mount that clamps on top of it and to the ds. the unit is rubber filled with liquid silver it can be stretched!!! size is 3.5 "
Can't wait to hear how it works. Mine got dropped off at Ford this morning. Downloaded a NVH app over the weekend. Detected a 34 hz driveline vibration in the steering wheel at 52 MPH. I printed the plots and gave them to Ford. Hate doing their work for them but don't want to keep bringing it back. The dealer is 45 mins away.

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
Here's an update: Ford authorized a replacement complete differential assy. Parts scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned.....

Dominant1, were you able to get the balance masters balancer installed?

Last edited:

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Here's an update: Ford authorized a replacement complete differential assy. Parts scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned.....

Dominant1, were you able to get the balance masters balancer installed?
They tried that with mine as they found shavings in the differential and it didnt help

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
They tried that with mine as they found shavings in the differential and it didnt help
Did you ever get it resolved or are you just living with the vib?
Sponsored