2018 Performance Pack - A big step BACKWARDS

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I'm a big Mustang guy, yet I was considering a deal on a Camaro SS 1LE last night and decided to wait for Mustang pricing. Looks like I can get the better deal with some rebates right now on the Camaro, instead of waiting 6 months for a car no one has driven. Which may or may not top the 1LE in performance.

A 1LE is about 45k while a comparably equipped Mustang is going to be $50k. The 1LE will likely hold its value better as well because it is a somewhat limited run car.

Seriously considering the Camaro SS 1LE now. And I was so excited for the '18 Mustang :frusty:
Here in the Chicago area 1le's go for 39 grand brand new. The new GTPP most likely won't exceed the 1le performance, especially with the 275's and 255's. However it should exceed the performance of a regular camaro ss. It also has cool features, tech, and the 10 speed auto. Chevy will most likely use the 10 speed auto for the 2019 year refreshed camaros. Maybe 1le gets the 10 speed auto as well.
Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
FYI a friend just got an SS 1LE for $40k which is a screaming deal for the performance it offers. I don't think the interior is any better or worse then the Stang but the visibility out the rear is pretty bad.

Peter

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I used to think Camaro and Corvette packaging was a mess until I saw the new packaging system for the '18 Mustang. I'm beyond confused.
It's milking 101...:ford::paddle: I love having paid 29.5 k for loaded 15 with 8k on the clock right now Imagine what I could make this car into for what they're charging for my car in 2018.

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Honesty I don't understand what they were thinking.

If you're in the market for a fully loaded GT you are in new GT350 territory or slightly (less than 600 KM) used Stingray/Grand Sport territory.

Also a proper tune with an CAI and headers and an BMR alignment with summer tires and the performance is virtually identical to an 18. Like I said in the previous thread is a few tenths of a second worth 10 grand?

Sponsored

Mustang1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Honesty I don't understand what they were thinking.

If you're in the market for a fully loaded GT you are in new GT350 territory or slightly (less than 600 KM) used Stingray/Grand Sport territory.

Also a proper tune with an CAI and headers and an BMR alignment with summer tires and the performance is virtually identical to an 18. Like I said in the previous thread is a few tenths of a second worth 10 grand?
Well it still won't have the 10-speed auto. After all day of reading, the performance package and magneride isn't worth it to me. I'm not going to race it on a track. I did a build with everything I like. Premium w/ 10-speed auto, black accent package(for the rims), and 3.55 for $40,923 net. That's about $17k below the starting price of a gt350. The price will probably go down when it hits the dealerships. That said, today I have seen the prices of new premium 2017s go down in price seeing a lot that are $31-33 for auto. Idk about the manual, but those are probably even cheaper.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I have a question:
How much does the Brembo brakes cost to replace? I really want the magneride but I have to have the PP to have it :(
Think hes asking about just upgrading to PP brakes and skipping the entire PP.
Its about $1200-1400 for rotors, calipers, pads and lines. Ford Performance sells a kit and you can buy it from Ford White Bear Lake or Tasca the cheapest.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
Ford dealers hate their customers, i just looked at a focus and an escape for the GF and with xcode they wouldn't budge with any deals. I've never seen a company so pretentious. I can get her e a VW for like 12$/month VS 400$ for a ford. It kinda makes me sad ford dealers don't take care of people who have owned 6-7 of their cars anymore. I know i'm just being angry right now, but what a horrible money grab on this 2018!

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
there is a compelling argument to forgo it and get a lot of it after, especially considering lots of people are going to lower their cars and switch up springs/bars anyway.
Not to mention replace those aweful PP wheels. Unless you keep it original the $3,000 Performance Pack already was lousy value, the new one makes no sense whatsoever anymore. $4K for a set of upgraded brakes. Gimme a break.

Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
I'm a big Mustang guy, yet I was considering a deal on a Camaro SS 1LE last night and decided to wait for Mustang pricing. Looks like I can get the better deal with some rebates right now on the Camaro, instead of waiting 6 months for a car no one has driven. Which may or may not top the 1LE in performance.

A 1LE is about 45k while a comparably equipped Mustang is going to be $50k. The 1LE will likely hold its value better as well because it is a somewhat limited run car.

Seriously considering the Camaro SS 1LE now. And I was so excited for the '18 Mustang :frusty:
If I was in the market, it would be Camaro hands down.

Camaro has more torque, lighter/better chassis and a far better trans, on top of everything else mentioned above

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The Pony Car Market has officially moved up stream a level. Camaro started the trend, now Ford has followed along. When I was shopping I looked at the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger. Mustang was by far the best bang for the buck. Camaro was a very nice car, but almost 7-8k more same with the Challenger 392. Ford had a winner price wise in the S550, be interesting to see how sales go a year from now when all 3 are on similar footing price wise.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
The Camaro is the better car - I just can't deal with the styling.
What a dumb statement!

The camaro certainly performs better than the current mustang (performance numbers, not day to day live ability)but how can you make that statement to the yet unknown performance of the new mustang?
What if the new mustang spanks the camaro? What will you say then?

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I don't think it will. It's still heavier than the camaro. It will probably be similar weight to the GT350's since it has the magride and other things too now, which is heavier than a regular GT. So you're telling me a 100-150lb heavier car, with the same HP, 40 less tq, with less torque under the curve than a pushrod LT1, will be faster? At best it's the same. A8 camaros have been clocking 3.8-3.9 all day long stock 0-60. The manual who knows on the mustang. I also don't think it will handle better. The 2SS camaro I built out with magride is 4500 cheaper than an 18 mustang gt premium pp with magride. With the sales on camaros PLUS their conquest cash they're doing, it's almost 10k cheaper than what you would pay ordering an 18. It's a better deal hands down no question asked. If I'm wrong I'll eat crow, but I just don't see it. I bet the sales numbers will be reversed again with the camaro picking up steam now that the mustang is the more expensive option.

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
FYI a friend just got an SS 1LE for $40k which is a screaming deal for the performance it offers. I don't think the interior is any better or worse then the Stang but the visibility out the rear is pretty bad.

Peter
I'm with you. I MUCH prefer the layout and ergonomics of the Mustang's interior but the interior plastics are just as bad. The door panels, center console and lower dash are all hard and brittle and they scratch easily. Not to mention the quality issues so many here have had. I bought my car for the performance so I don't really care, but let's be real here.
Sponsored