Sponsored

Aussie S550 Twin Turbo 9.3@148

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
:lol: I'm going to rip my hair out trying to figure out what trans I should use. Glide or th400. Wish I had it all figured out like you. Fml.
If I had to choose between the two I would go with the glide, less ratio easier to control wheel speed. It may be harder to get a good 60 ft due to less ratio but that can be solved with leaving with more power. If you are running on the street the Th 400 may be better for roll racing as you can drop down from 3 rd to 2 nd depending on the speed you are going at least you have it narrowed down to the 2. I still have the TR 6060 on that list.:doh:
Sponsored

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
If I had to choose between the two I would go with the glide, less ratio easier to control wheel speed.
can you explain this further?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
If I had to choose between the two I would go with the glide, less ratio easier to control wheel speed. It may be harder to get a good 60 ft due to less ratio but that can be solved with leaving with more power. If you are running on the street the Th 400 may be better for roll racing as you can drop down from 3 rd to 2 nd depending on the speed you are going at least you have it narrowed down to the 2. I still have the TR 6060 on that list.:doh:
If I wasn't such a greedy mother fucker and stuck with my original plan of 8.80s in the low 150s I could survive on that tr6060 which was original idea. Im personally going large single, watson racings rear end kit so the 9 inch gear options are plentiful. 3600-3700 with driver. While I want 7.80s low 170s my Nmra and Nhra days are over. I'll mostly be racing dig and rolls on the street. Hustle the kids :D. Still suggest the Glide? I considered the th400 with the 2.10s

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
This also will be my first built auto. I've always rowed gears into the 8.4s and was fairly consistent within 2 tenths. I

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
can you explain this further?
I will give you an example from my own personal experience, I had a pro street mustang that ran 6.50's @ 210 mph it weighed 2450 with driver and it ran a Procharger F3 on a 417 ci small block ford. I had a Rossler 3 speed TH 400 with a Neal Chance bolt together converter and I was going 1.03 - 1.05 60 fts I had a full Race Pack which allowed me to read all kinds of data points including a G meter and wheel speed. The Th 400 had a 210 first gear and I would leave at 4800 - 5000 rpm on a 2 step at 14 - 15 psi boost the best 60 ft I got was a 1.02 with that set up with no other change other than switching to a powerglide with a 180 first gear and I used the same converter I was able to leave at 5400 rpm at 20 psi and the car went a best of a .983 60 ft. I had both the TH 400 and the glide at the track and ran both back to back and it went faster with the glide. Many pro mods run the TH 400 but they turn it into a 2 speed with a 1.53 1st gear and 2nd is 1-1.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This also will be my first built auto. I've always rowed gears into the 8.4s and was fairly consistent within 2 tenths. I
Rowing gears is fun the issue with a boosted application be it a turbo or supercharger you fall out of boost every time you grab the next gear that is if you aren't WOT while you are shifting. PD blowers aren't as bad as they recover boost instantly but a centri will drop boost and have to make it back up with rpm, the other issue with the manual trans is the chassis gets upset every time you shift which makes it more difficult to drive the car. Auto on the other hand once you go WOT it will stay under full boost and the chassis will be much more stable as the car is loaded the entire time even during the gear changes.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I will give you an example from my own personal experience, I had a pro street mustang that ran 6.50's @ 210 mph it weighed 2450 with driver and it ran a Procharger F3 on a 417 ci small block ford. I had a Rossler 3 speed TH 400 with a Neal Chance bolt together converter and I was going 1.03 - 1.05 60 fts I had a full Race Pack which allowed me to read all kinds of data points including a G meter and wheel speed. The Th 400 had a 210 first gear and I would leave at 4800 - 5000 rpm on a 2 step at 14 - 15 psi boost the best 60 ft I got was a 1.02 with that set up with no other change other than switching to a powerglide with a 180 first gear and I used the same converter I was able to leave at 5400 rpm at 20 psi and the car went a best of a .983 60 ft. I had both the TH 400 and the glide at the track and ran both back to back and it went faster with the glide. Many pro mods run the TH 400 but they turn it into a 2 speed with a 1.53 1st gear and 2nd is 1-1.
I considered the 2spd th400 option as well. Did you drive either on the street? I'm good with 1.1 to 1.2 60fts.
I just kept reading try and make adjustments to rear end gears, converters and tires. That just wasn't cutting it for me. it's like hey I'm not spending 6500-7000 on a trans to take a hit and switch and spend money on various gears and tires. I want to get this right on the first time.

Ps that's fast as fuck. I'm not sure I have balls for more than mid 7s. I'm a bitch I suppose. I'm oddly okay with that.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I considered the 2spd th400 option as well. Did you drive either on the street? I'm good with 1.1 to 1.2 60fts.
I just kept reading try and make adjustments to rear end gears, converters and tires. That just wasn't cutting it for me. it's like hey I'm not spending 6500-7000 on a trans to take a hit and switch and spend money on various gears and tires. I want to get this right on the first time.

Ps that's fast as fuck. I'm not sure I have balls for more than mid 7s. I'm a bitch I suppose. I'm oddly okay with that.
I've had mustangs all my life I bought a strawberry red coupe back in 1990 and slowly started modding it well before I knew it I went from 14.20's to 7.84 @ 180 mph. When the car was running high 8's I did drive it on the street and it had a powrglide with a 1.80 first gear and a 3.89 rear gear, and I tell you it was FUN even though you only clicked 1 gear it also had slicks on it all the time.:headbang:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Once you get used to the power it's becomes boring very quickly and you always want more, anyone can do it the only difference is that a seasoned driver can react better when a car gets out of shape due to tire shake or simply over powering the track and he or she would have a better chance of recovery than a novice driver. The only way to learn is to do it and by doing it is the only way to gain experience.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
To the OP I'm sorry that I got this OFF TRACK but I thought I'd share my experience with both transmissions.:thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
:lol: I'm going to rip my hair out trying to figure out what trans I should use. Glide or th400. Wish I had it all figured out like you. Fml.
honestly, you won't make a mistake using either, both boxes can be made to work, if you see what this car does in top gear and how quick it just fries the tyres you might get a shock, the converter is the critical thing here.

none of the barra motors got 6r80s?
nah they use the ZF 6HP26 which is basically what Ford copied with the 6R80, multiple parts are interchangeable, Ford has done a better job than the Germans on this box :ford:

On a good track and leaving with more boost it will hit the 8's for sure, not sure if it has been mentioned but is there any massaging of the tunnel to fit the glide and if so where and how much ? Pic's would be great if you have some to share.:cheers:
let's hope, a mid 1.3 60' and another psi or 2 will get there, on the 9.26 pass, she only went a 1.50, if we can get a 8psi+ launch, im confident of a 1.3 60'

theres pics on the shop Facebook page. my photobucket has been capped or something, it wasn't a bad swap, the shifter was the hardest part

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It looks like you will need a bit more power to get into the 8's.
Power is there just needs to leave with more boost to drop the 60' and the 330' lower et will follow.

OP
OP

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It looks like you will need a bit more power to get into the 8's.
what pro 5.0 said is pretty much on the money, the power to get it into the 8's should already be there as it is. if we get the launch it may be there. would have been good to know what the mph was on the 2 passes in Melbourne, the car was showing .5-.8psi or so more than Sydney, a customer with his 300C went 10.60@132 down there then 2 weeks later took it to Sydney and went 10.30@132, so possibly the track wasn't as good as we first thought, on the 9.35 pass, looks to me like the car is possibly spinning a little as it's going down the track. we did try a 7psi transbrake launch down there but the thing just went 90-degrees off the line and up in smoke :frusty:

OP
OP

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
we threw the Unicorn up on the dyno and put 100% duty cycle into the wastegate solenoid, we have maxed out the 7psi spring all we could get was 15.5psi, made 730rwhp then backed it up right after with 732rwhp, yes, the number seems low but our Aussie dyno's tend to read on the low side vs the US. we hope this is enough to get the 8 and run 150mph+, she is showing around 1050hp @ the motor average over the 1/4 mile. unfortunately my photobucket won't allow more pics, so no dyno sheet :doh:
Sponsored