Sponsored

Red lined in first

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Tonight the intersection I was at was dead, no one on the road. So for shits and giggles I took it well into the red in first and the RPM's rapidly dropped down to around 2k. I wanted to just do a quick start and then try shifting quick into second but that's not what happened. I'm guessing it's programmed to do this to prevent the engine from blowing up or overheating...right?

I don't plan on doing it again but does it do any real damage to the engine or trans?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Tonight the intersection I was at was dead, no one on the road. So for shits and giggles I took it well into the red in first and the RPM's rapidly dropped down to around 2k. I wanted to just do a quick start and then try shifting quick into second but that's not what happened. I'm guessing it's programmed to do this to prevent the engine from blowing up or overheating...right?

I don't plan on doing it again but does it do any real damage to the engine or trans?

Thanks

-Emt1581
I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but once in a while redline doesn't hurt anything.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but once in a while redline doesn't hurt anything.
Right, like I said, no plan to do it again. But killing the RPM's rapidly...programmed to do that to avoid damage or indicative of damage taking place?

Thanks

-Emt1581

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Never happened to me. It would just peg out at redline, you shift to next gear, it accelerates as normal.
It shouldn't go into protection mode just because hitting redline.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like launch control was turned on.
I think you have to actively turn that on right before doing it... no? I scrolled through the computer when I first for the car a month ago today and it said "track only" and it didn't look to be engaged.

The car drove fine ever since. Just wasn't sure what that was that made it drop the RPM's so rapidly.

Thanks

-Emt1581

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traction control can pull timing and cut fuel, so yes - it would. if the tires were spinning, that's what happened.
That's interesting. So maybe it had more to do with the tires spinning too much that killed the engine. Sounds like maybe a safety mechanism to prevent someone from plowing into a crowd and/or crashing if they are hot dogging....

...not that Mustangs ever do that.

-Emt1581

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That's interesting. So maybe it had more to do with the tires spinning too much that killed the engine. Sounds like maybe a safety mechanism to prevent someone from plowing into a crowd and/or crashing if they are hot dogging....

...not that Mustangs ever do that.

-Emt1581
Is yours automatic?
I don't see how can 1st gear redline and 2nd gear be around 2000 rpm without a lot of spinning.
Maybe you were just spinning in 1st gear to redline and when shifted into 2nd it gripped and brought down to 2000rpm which is how fast you were going given the gearing.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is yours automatic?
I don't see how can 1st gear redline and 2nd gear be around 2000 rpm without a lot of spinning.
Maybe you were just spinning in 1st gear to redline and when shifted into 2nd it gripped and brought down to 2000rpm which is how fast you were going given the gearing.
Manual.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
If it's spinning it will keep pulling power and slowing the engine until the spinning stops.

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
Same thing happened to me the other night when I was briefly testing out my new BMR parts. I was surprised it cut out so quickly as I didn't see the gauges turn red. I was in track mode, but didn't turn the nannies completely off.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Taken mine up to 6500 in first and got no wheel spin and it felt like past 4500 all I was doing was making noise with very little acceleration. I have 3.55s. Did you notice any of that op?
Sponsored