Sponsored

PP Wheel Rims/Brake Dust

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
I'm in need of a wash, and plan on doing so in the morning...but my God, my wheels are horrifying. What is the best way to take care of those!? Brake dust is atrocious, the calipers look awful...it makes me want to cry.

What chemicals do you guys use!? Aggitators? Anything!?
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Most of your well-know wheel cleaners are gonna work great (Nextzett, Sonax, Adams, ect...). I use the EZ detail brush along with a Meguiars mf wash mitt. I wash my car frequently enough that it usually just takes shampoo to clean up the wheels, no designated wheel cleaner needed, but I also have the 4 piston brakes.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I tried using a mf mitt on my PP rims Monday when giving me car her first wash. It really sucked! Just didn't get into the smaller wedges/openings and it didn't get real deep to scrub the wall of the rim. Looked good at 3ft. but up close and using a finger tip... about 10% of the dust remained after spending a solid 45mins. cleaning just the rims.

Thinking about buying one of these...

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Easy_Reach_Wheel_And_Rim_Detailing_Brush_p/accs37.htm

There's that one and then a red/black one for "show cars" no clue what the difference is. There is a 20% off coupon code now until April 30th. EBFAPRIL

I'm looking at one of these brushes and then a wax/seal system...maybe even a Torq-X polisher... But I have a lot of digging to do tonight to make sure I get the best of the best for my car and there's a whole different obsessive world to car detailing...so it's not an easy/clear decision.

-Emt1581

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I tried using a mf mitt on my PP rims Monday when giving me car her first wash. It really sucked! Just didn't get into the smaller wedges/openings and it didn't get real deep to scrub the wall of the rim. Looked good at 3ft. but up close and using a finger tip... about 10% of the dust remained after spending a solid 45mins. cleaning just the rims.

Thinking about buying one of these...

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Easy_Reach_Wheel_And_Rim_Detailing_Brush_p/accs37.htm

-Emt1581
Obviously your mileage may vary based on wheel design, but it's pretty easy for me to use the thin Meg microfiber mitt on the face and around the spokes of my TSW wheels. I do all 4 in about 10 min. That Chemical Guys brush is just their version of the EZ brush I mentioned. The other option is a wheel woolie that Patrick linked.

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
armorall brake dust repellent works good

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
I have ceramic pro 9h on my wheels (everything actually). All I need is a wet rag and a dry one.

It's a little extensive of a way to keep things clean... But oh so easy

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I do find that the dust does wash off easily though with just a jet from the hose ... not as good as a proper clean but if you're in a rush ...

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
buy powerstop pads, similar brake feel to PP pads but a HELL of a lot less dust. Eliminate the problem at the source.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
buy powerstop pads, similar brake feel to PP pads but a HELL of a lot less dust. Eliminate the problem at the source.
Any specific model of powerstops?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

fast88fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT Premium PP
I had my PP wheels coated with ceramic pro and they are much easier to clean just using Croftgate wash spray (i forget the exact name of the product) using just a MF towel. I have to admit that it is easier to clean these PP wheels with that but they have so many spokes that they are still a pain to clean. I sold them and bought a set of Vertini wheels...much much quicker/easier to clean. Which is a shame because I really like the PP wheel design.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
I loved the look of the PP rims but what a pita to clean. Traded them for GT350 rims. Much easier.

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
They cleaned up well with regular car wash soap, hose and aggregator. Although it looks like the back driver side wheel chipped a bit. That pissed me off.

They don't shine or spark (the wheels). So, might have to look into a product that makes the wheels really stand out.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
High quality Wheel Woolies work well and make cleaning the PP wheels much easier/faster.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
As previously stated, once your wheels are clean, you can use a polymer to seal them.
I hit mine with Jet Seal, actually took them off to do the barrels as well.
dust just hoses off now.
Sponsored