Sponsored

Self Maintenance Noobie Help!!

Guard 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So I just started doing my own regular maintenance on my '15 GT. The car is at 30k miles. The car has been previously maintained by the dealer with the last multipoint inspection/oil change being performed at 25k. I have a fairly new K&N engine air filter so I won't clean that just yet.

So far I did the following:

1. Oil change
  2. Oil filter
  3. Tire rotation
  4. Cabin air filter

What would you all recommend as far as the other stuff that comes with services performed by a dealer? (I.e. Lubricating joints, multipoint inspection, etc.) my plan was to bring it into the dealer around 35k, 55k etc. pretty much before various levels of warranty run out.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's in the manual.
There is not much you do nowadays on modern cars. Most of the joints and stuff are sealed so you don't need to lubricate them anymore.
As far as inspection, looks at the fluids and brake pads that's all.
My 2013 FJ Cruiser still has nipples on the driveshafts I have to grease every 10000 miles.

OP
OP
Guard 5.0

Guard 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's in the manual.
There is not much you do nowadays on modern cars. Most of the joints and stuff are sealed so you don't need to lubricate them anymore.
As far as inspection, looks at the fluids and brake pads that's all.
My 2013 FJ Cruiser still has nipples on the driveshafts I have to grease every 10000 miles.
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking one more question. I've tried searching online but haven't found much info. When I change the tranny fluid for the auto GT, is there anything I need to do beyond removing the pan and letting the Fluid drain out?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking one more question. I've tried searching online but haven't found much info. When I change the tranny fluid for the auto GT, is there anything I need to do beyond removing the pan and letting the Fluid drain out?
You might have to it a couple of times to get all the fluids out which is a pain in the ass.
For transmissions with no drain and fill plug I recommend just flush it.
Why are you worrying about automatic transmission fluid so early?

OP
OP
Guard 5.0

Guard 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You might have to it a couple of times to get all the fluids out which is a pain in the ass.
For transmissions with no drain and fill plug I recommend just flush it.
Why are you worrying about automatic transmission fluid so early?
Well between having a tune and also how hard the car is driven I figure it would be beneficial to change it out sooner rather than later.

I think I've figured it out for the most part but I can't find much on how to make sure all the oil is drained out after I remove the bottom pan. I already bought 5 quarts of royal purple ATF!! D:

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well between having a tune and also how hard the car is driven I figure it would be beneficial to change it out sooner rather than later.

I think I've figured it out for the most part but I can't find much on how to make sure all the oil is drained out after I remove the bottom pan. I already bought 5 quarts of royal purple ATF!! D:
You can't. You have to use a machine to flush it in order to get everything out.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
You can be anal and Mityvac the pan and fill it with new fluid. Or be really anal and let the converter pump the old fluid out of itself.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
What? No drain plug?
Can't the dipstick hole be used to fill it?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
That is how you fill it but to drain you have to drop the pan.
Thanks for that info. I don't believe in 'lifetime' factory fills and have drained and filled the fluid from my other vehicles, even changed the filters. I always find very dark fluid and usually find particles on magnets, etc. Just did my wife's optima and found this.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Guard 5.0

Guard 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks for that info. I don't believe in 'lifetime' factory fills and have drained and filled the fluid from my other vehicles, even changed the filters. I always find very dark fluid and usually find particles on magnets, etc. Just did my wife's optima and found this.
After some digging around I think I may just go to a tranny shop to just get a flush/fill. Did you do yours yourself in the past?

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Changing the transmission fluid is the one thing I don't do anymore and I'm one that usually does all my maintenance. It's just a pain and time consuming and with some vehicles like my '98 Chev 1500, there are different variations of filters that it was easy to put the wrong filter in it. It's not that expensive and with the intervals, I may only get it done once in the lifetime I own it.

If your concerned, I would have it changed at 50k intervals. I don't plan on changing mine till its five years old which by then it may only have 30-40k miles, even though it's well below the mileage interval. I'm more concerned with moisture from our humid weather.

OP
OP
Guard 5.0

Guard 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Changing the transmission fluid is the one thing I don't do anymore and I'm one that usually does all my maintenance. It's just a pain and time consuming and with some vehicles like my '98 Chev 1500, there are different variations of filters that it was easy to put the wrong filter in it. It's not that expensive and with the intervals, I may only get it done once in the lifetime I own it.

If your concerned, I would have it changed at 50k intervals. I don't plan on changing mine till its five years old which by then it may only have 30-40k miles, even though it's well below the mileage interval. I'm more concerned with moisture from our humid weather.
Slightly off topic but now you mention the your chevy. I'm looking into a 02 1500 LT HD with 78k miles. I'm thinking $11k. It's posted for 13.8k. Figured you may have a better idea being a chevy owner. It has 2 owners 1 accident but otherwise regular maintenance and a clean car fax.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
After some digging around I think I may just go to a tranny shop to just get a flush/fill. Did you do yours yourself in the past?
I've always done my own drain and fills in the past. With less than 10k on my CS, not too concerned yet, just looking ahead.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Slightly off topic but now you mention the your chevy. I'm looking into a 02 1500 LT HD with 78k miles. I'm thinking $11k. It's posted for 13.8k. Figured you may have a better idea being a chevy owner. It has 2 owners 1 accident but otherwise regular maintenance and a clean car fax.
My '98 was the only GM truck I've owned and it was a solid truck. I just sold it a couple of months ago. My daughter got an '06 after high school and there was a big difference in quality compared to the previous generation. I really couldn't say bout an '02.
Sponsored