2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
I’m not even mad that Ford is trying to rip off someone else’s design. At least it’s a great looking design. I hope the next gen mustang looks at least somewhat close to this.
979F6745-6A85-410F-9268-4422DCBBC511.jpeg
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I hope not, Pony cars should stay true to their heritage with a more angular and strong appearance. We have more than enough rounded sport coupes

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
I hope not, Pony cars should stay true to their heritage with a more angular and strong appearance. We have more than enough rounded sport coupes
The mustang can’t be stock in the past forever. The next generation will be hybrid, that’s a whole new thing. Accordingly, it should also adopt a whole new design philosophy. We aren’t in the 70s and 80s anymore, it’s time to adapt and appeal to a more broader audience. One of the things I hate about the 18 mustang i its straight and angular facia design, they need to do away with that.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The mustang can’t be stock in the past forever. The next generation will be hybrid, that’s a whole new thing. Accordingly, it should also adopt a whole new design philosophy. We aren’t in the 70s and 80s anymore, it’s time to adapt and appeal to a more broader audience. One of the things I hate about the 18 mustang i its straight and angular facia design, they need to do away with that.
I think the 18 front already is going more into the modern sportscoupe and less into the muscular appearance, That's why it's looking worse than before imho. Flat hood, low frontend, very wide grille, sorry but that styling can others do way better than Ford - Saw the BMW Z4 and 8 Series concepts at IAA, absolutely stunning cars.

If Ford wants to build a car that has nothing in common with a Mustang, then maybe they should just give it a new name. But actually customers want the car they already have with a few tweaks instead of complete redesigns, which is why car makers usally don't risk a huge restyling anymore.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The heritage of the mustang is what sells it...and any design cues that allow it to maintain any semblance of the sort will continue. People have nearly always chosen the mustang over the competition despite it nearly always being slower. Let that sink in.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
The heritage of the mustang is what sells it...and any design cues that allow it to maintain any semblance of the sort will continue. People have nearly always chosen the mustang over the competition despite it nearly always being slower. Let that sink in.
Agreed.
I have always believed for the great majority of consumers, styling rather than performance has been the factor or variable that determines a vehicle purchase.
The history of Mustang styling has always incorporated some element of the iconic first generation design.
With that being said, I have a strong sense that the D6R based S650 may be a true game changer (for the Mustang) regarding engineering, technology, performance and design language.

Last edited:

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
This is based on the old assumption that the majority of Mustang buyers are still baby boomers in their 60s, but they are not. People buy the Mustang because it’s a cheap and affordable sporty car with brand recognition, not because it looks like some cars that were made when their parents were younger. Ford could redesign the Mustang tomorrow and make it look like a Ferrari and people would still buy it. The GT350 for an example looked like a proper sports car with rounder and more organic lines compared to the old GT500 of the S197, yet Ford had no problems selling them to people. If it looks good and performs well, people will buy.

The only true to form “muscle car” left is the challenger, the mustang and Camaro are not. Mustangs and Camaros are far more closer to BMWs and Audi sporty coupes In terms of asthetics nowadays than they are to the challenger. It’s time to advance the design.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
I think the 18 front already is going more into the modern sportscoupe and less into the muscular appearance, That's why it's looking worse than before imho. Flat hood, low frontend, very wide grille, sorry but that styling can others do way better than Ford - Saw the BMW Z4 and 8 Series concepts at IAA, absolutely stunning cars.

If Ford wants to build a car that has nothing in common with a Mustang, then maybe they should just give it a new name. But actually customers want the car they already have with a few tweaks instead of complete redesigns, which is why car makers usally don't risk a huge restyling anymore.
The 18 has more sharp angles and straight lines up front compared to the softer and rounded lines on the 15-17. The lines on the 18 do not flow well with the rest of the car. It tries to be overly agreesive and muscular but falls short.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
People still buy the Mustang because it's a car of style and substance, and very aggressively priced -- that's true if you're age 18, or 80. Some people feel comfortable buying one because of it's heritage, but the style and substance are definitely there.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This is based on the old assumption that the majority of Mustang buyers are still baby boomers in their 60s, but they are not. People buy the Mustang because it’s a cheap and affordable sporty car with brand recognition, not because it looks like some cars that were made when their parents were younger.
The majority of mustang buyers are most certainly not baby boomers…that assumption is totally false. Corvette buyers on the other hand…

I will agree, the mustang name sells itself…however, nostalgia is and always will be part of the mustang mystique. You can chose the deny it, but even the younger generations view the OG mustang as a timeless car.

Ford could redesign the Mustang tomorrow and make it look like a Ferrari and people would still buy it.
I disagree with you there. A good part of the mustangs form is due to its 2+2 seating as well as need for storage. Form follows function.

People seem to forget that Ford went down this road with the Probe in the 80’s and nearly killed the mustang off by doing so.

The GT350 for an example looked like a proper sports car with rounder and more organic lines compared to the old GT500 of the S197, yet Ford had no problems selling them to people. If it looks good and performs well, people will buy.
The GT350 sells because of one thing…the Voodoo engine.

The only true to form “muscle car” left is the challenger, the mustang and Camaro are not. Mustangs and Camaros are far more closer to BMWs and Audi sporty coupes In terms of asthetics nowadays than they are to the challenger. It’s time to advance the design.
You come across as wanting to make a change just to make a change…or that because somehow mustangs and camaros have a negative connotation to them…and that you would rather be driving an Audi or BMW at mustang pricing.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
People still buy the Mustang because it's a car of style and substance, and very aggressively priced -- that's true if you're age 18, or 80. Some people feel comfortable buying one because of it's heritage, but the style and substance are definitely there.
Let’s not confuse brand recognition/awareness with “heritage.” Same reason people know about Walmart is the same reason I’d say the vast majority of people know about the mustang, it’s popular and it has been around for a while. I’m sure a lot of people buy mustangs for the same reason as well. It could look however it wants to look, as long as it’s name remains a mustang.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Let’s not confuse brand recognition/awareness with “heritage.” Same reason people know about Walmart is the same reason I’d say the vast majority of people know about the mustang, it’s popular and it has been around for a while. I’m sure a lot of people buy mustangs for the same reason as well. It could look however it wants to look, as long as it’s name remains a mustang.
To a certain extent...maybe. If they had made the poor decision to make it FWD and look like a Ford Probe, the mustang would have been gone a long time ago. If you eliminate everything that makes a mustang a mustang...all you have is the name, which will only keep you afloat for so long.

There is a reason the mustang keeps it's original design cues. Let's not pretend it's not a reason people seek out the mustang. Even BMW has kept the same design cues for eons (hello kidney grill!).

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
If the Mustang doesn't have heritage, what the hell does?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.