Sponsored

Jacking plates/rails

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Then you'd be a prime candidate for them if your changing your wheels every weekend.
Why ? They would make no difference other than add weight (I know - they're -relatively - light) - but why ?
Sponsored

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
All,
I plan to have all-weather or winter tires for my GT... I see there are several products such as the jackpads seen here https://zl1addons.com/collections/jackpads-magpads and rails by Steeda. Are these necessary for at-home DIY garage maintenance and activities such as changing wheels/tires? We can't just jack like in the old days? :shrug:

Maybe I'm a Neanderthal so help me understand why I need these, or are they just more bling for the garage "for the man who has everything..."

Thanks
Necessary? No. I used a routered out hockey puck many times without issue.

Regarding ZL1 addons bolt on lift pads, here's my write up. I've had them on my car ever since my write up and after using them for 5 months I actually like them and had no issues.

I place my jack directly on them to lift and then place jack stands underneath on the subframe.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1863968#post1863968

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Necessary? No. I used a routered out hockey puck many times without issue.

Regarding ZL1 addons bolt on lift pads, here's my write up. I've had them on my car ever since my write up and after using them for 5 months I actually like them and had no issues.

I place my jack directly on them to lift and then place jack stands underneath on the subframe.
I actually purchased these - but only reason I did that is because I routinely use Quickjack in my garage (regular jack outside though - which happens often) - and pinch welds being thin tear up rubber blocks that are using as contact points with Quickjack - these should distribute the load better.

But again - see absolutely no reason for rails (and they're illegal for Street class autocross anyway but this isn't a concern for most of people here).

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I have the Steeda rails, love them. As one who likes fiddling with his car, oil changes, tire rotations, new bolt-ons, they are indispensable and make getting the car up on stands a cinch. In a perfect world I'd have a lift in my garage.... but I get along fine with these.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I like the thicker BMR (1st gen) because the bottom surface is parallel to the ground. The race car was constantly being jacked up and the SCCA did not allow jacking plates or rails. The pinch seams and the surrounding metal was toast on the first car and I had to be real careful to keep it from happening on the second car. The S550 weights a lot more too. (3700 vs. 2200)

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have the ZL1 add ons and while they work and they are better than not having them, I probably should have gone with the rails.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I put jacking rails on my latest S550 and I love having them. I don’t have to worry about tearing up the pinch welds because they can and will bend and having the solid bar steel or aluminum as a jacking and jack stand support point is a nice piece of insurance when you’re wrenching underneath of 3800 pounds in your garage by yourself.

To each their own - but they add value to my vehicle for me. Wish I’d had them on my last S550!

I went with Steeda ones with my convertible after seeing bmr videos showing people having to widen the pre drilled holes to get them to fit on a couple cars online - it surprised me that was a thing. But the other BMR stuff I’ve had had been great - I’ve actually got another lockout kit coming for this car and their diff inserts to try out.
Sponsored

Last edited: