Sponsored

The GT350s place in the 2018 Model Year

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Now that we know the 2018 GT has 460HP/420TQ and at least as fast in a straight line with the auto (sub 4 second 0-60), I'm a little concerned about the GT350s place in the Ford lineup for 2018.

Personally, I think it's going to be hard to sell a $60k GT350 when most likely a 2018 GT with the Performance Pack will be nipping at its heels on track. Buying a GT350 will be more because it's a "Shelby" than actual performance value. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
Stock for stock I think the 350 will still beat it around a track without much trouble. In a straight line with an A10 it sounds like the regular GT will be quicker.

The GT350 still has a very unique engine, and who even knows if the magneride system and suspension tweaks in the GT PP will be the same as the 350's.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Stock for stock I think the 350 will still beat it around a track without much trouble. In a straight line with an A10 it sounds like the regular GT will be quicker.

The GT350 still has a very unique engine, and who even knows if the magneride system and suspension tweaks in the GT PP will be the same as the 350's.
It will be interesting to see how close the Performance Pack GT goes after the 1LE Camaro performance wise. If it does then we're going to have a GT that's very close to non-R GT350 performance on track.

Now as for looks...Shelby wins easily.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Now that we know the 2018 GT has 460HP/420TQ and at least as fast in a straight line with the auto (sub 4 second 0-60), I'm a little concerned about the GT350s place in the Ford lineup for 2018.

Personally, I think it's going to be hard to sell a $60k GT350 when most likely a 2018 GT with the Performance Pack will be nipping at its heels on track. Buying a GT350 will be more because it's a "Shelby" than actual performance value. Thoughts?
I don't know how you think a small HP bump is going to have GT at the heels of a GT350 none the less an R.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I don't know how you think a small HP bump is going to have GT at the heels of a GT350 none the less an R.
It's not the power alone. It's the magnetic ride and whatever this mystery Performance Package Level 2 is. We may very well have a GT close in performance to the regular GT350 with a pretty substantial price difference. It's all hypothetical until we learn a little more about other improvements to the 2018, but pretty much confirms my belief that the GT350 was continued as is because Ford Performance was behind on their next Mustang.

Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Three things for me:

1. Flat plane crank and engine sounds
2. Handling and time around the track.
3. Looks. I think the GT350 is the best looking mustang in decades. The 2018 MY does not give me the warm and fuzzies just from looking at it.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'll save the $20k and get a '18 GTPP with magneride
Seems like the GT350 wasn't right for you in the first place. When the S650 Mustang GT comes out, itll probably knock the pants off the GT350. Thats how it usually goes in the automotive world. Next gens regular trims beat top of the line trims of the last gen. I

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Three things for me:

1. Flat plane crank and engine sounds
2. Handling and time around the track.
3. Looks. I think the GT350 is the best looking mustang in decades. The 2018 MY does not give me the warm and fuzzies just from looking at it.
I actually agree with you 100% on those points. With that said it makes it all the more disappointing that Ford didn't upgrade the GT350 a bit for 2018 to stay further ahead of the GT. It just seems more like the GT350 was a carry over to fill a whole for Ford Performance until their next Mustang is ready.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
No GT350 aluminum knuckle, weaker hub, no radial mount brake calipers, less optimized front suspension geometry.

Nope.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Exactly. The GT performance wise is actually a generation behind where it should be. The extra 30 bhp will bring it inline more with competitors. No way it will touch the 350/R.

Also the base Carrera will kill the GT on the track.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Exactly. The GT performance wise is actually a generation behind where it should be. The extra 30 bhp will bring it inline more with competitors. No way it will touch the 350/R.

Also the base Carrera will kill the GT on the track.
Fact, funny enough that they quote Porsche's times but everyone knows that Porsche is comically conservative... they're base 911 with 370hp has already been tested at 3.4s 0-60 and an 11.9s 1/4 mile stock... LOL

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-porsche-911-carrera-test-review

I don't see this being an issue for the 350 at all. I'm glad they are improving its performance, as it needed it against the Camaro. But it is only going to compete in a straight line. The R was like what, 15 seconds or more quicker at Lightning lap? The update will close the gap, but I expect the non-R to still be far faster on track, primarily due to stiffer suspension/tuning, more power and far more grip.

Plus there is the appeal of the GT350 nameplate and it's history. Then there is the FPC V8 that is ungodly... then there is the looks.

Yeah, I don't see the 350/R having any trouble selling in MY18 :lol:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Here's a few others:

Spray bore, deck plate honed light weight block with cross-bolted mains. Forged aluminum pistons with low tension rings, forged steel conn rods with fracture split caps. High flow, light weight CNC ported heads with sodium filled exhaust valves and hollow intake valves. Air to liquid Oil, Trans. and Diff. coolers. Heavy duty wheel bearings and half shafts. Torsen diff. with GT350 specific bias ratio. Tremec TR3160 light weight, high torque trans. Massive 2 piece directional vented brake rotors. Aluminum fenders and hood with integral venting. Comprehensive aero package, with brake cooling ducts and kick-ups for brake and diff. cooling, including a rear diffuser. That's all I can think of for the moment...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
It's not the power alone. It's the magnetic ride and whatever this mystery Performance Package Level 2 is. We may very well have a GT close in performance to the regular GT350 with a pretty substantial price difference. It's all hypothetical until we learn a little more about other improvements to the 2018, but pretty much confirms my belief that the GT350 was continued as is because Ford Performance was behind on their next Mustang.
Forget the power. How about weight!!!! My 2015 GT weighed a lil over 3800lbs and that is just the base GT with a performance package. Now factor in the additional weight of the magneride and you have a substantial weight gain. I also do not think the mag ride is available in a base GT so it is probably included in a package that most certainly will continue to add weight. And that my friends is the problem with the S550, weight!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Here's a few others:

Spray bore, deck plate honed light weight block with cross-bolted mains. Forged aluminum pistons with low tension rings, forged steel conn rods with fracture split caps. High flow, light weight CNC ported heads with sodium filled exhaust valves and hollow intake valves. Air to liquid Oil, Trans. and Diff. coolers. Heavy duty wheel bearings and half shafts. Torsen diff. with GT350 specific bias ratio. Tremec TR3160 light weight, high torque trans. Massive 2 piece directional vented brake rotors. Aluminum fenders and hood with integral venting. Comprehensive aero package, with brake cooling ducts and kick-ups for brake and diff. cooling, including a rear diffuser. That's all I can think of for the moment...
But wait!!! There is more!!! Aluminum bumper bar, composite radiator opening, less sound deadening material through out, etc, etc ,etc.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
LOL. But wait !

Anywho, the elevation of cars is how its should be. I am happy the GT will see performance gains. Its great. But touching a GT350 is not what these updates will allow a GT to do. noway, no how. If that was the case Ford would have truly update more than colours for the 18 350. It will do just fine IMO.
Sponsored