Sponsored

DIY LED Shift Light: CAN Bus Hack

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Question: Why can't we just buy the GT350 part and retrofit it into the GT?
Sponsored

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Question: Why can't we just buy the GT350 part and retrofit it into the GT?
I have no idea? Has someone done that already? The purpose of this is DIY, though. That and it could potentially do much more than just shift lights if you wanted it to. There are pros and cons to everything.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I have no idea? Has someone done that already? The purpose of this is DIY, though. That and it could potentially do much more than just shift lights if you wanted it to. There are pros and cons to everything.
I know. I was thinking that, maybe, the GT350 would not be plug-and-play, but only because the code wouldn't work. The dashboard slot is essentially the same, however, across all 'stangs.

So, instead of having to print a durable plastic part, we could recycle the OEM led strip (which would fit perfectly) and just handle the software side.

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
I know. I was thinking that, maybe, the GT350 would not be plug-and-play, but only because the code wouldn't work. The dashboard slot is essentially the same, however, across all 'stangs.

So, instead of having to print a durable plastic part, we could recycle the OEM led strip (which would fit perfectly) and just handle the software side.
Oh, gotcha there. Interesting idea. Will have to do some research on that part. :thumbsup:

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Oh, gotcha there. Interesting idea. Will have to do some research on that part. :thumbsup:
I emailed levittown asking whether the GT350 part is available for purchase. I couldn't find the part on the website though. Will update once they reply.

Sponsored

RiseUpBears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Finally got around to messing around with this. Used an Arduino Pro Mini (5v) and a Freematics OBD2 UART adapter. I used a small OLED display for testing. Tested engine RPM and speed and worked great. Should be really easy to hook up an RGB LED strip and control it based on RPM. Stay tuned
It would be cool to see if this can be used as a HUD for your speed as well as shift lights.

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
It would be cool to see if this can be used as a HUD for your speed as well as shift lights.
Should be pretty easy. Dealing with roof work on my house or i'd have something more done by now. :headbonk:

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Should be pretty easy. Dealing with roof work on my house or i'd have something more done by now. :headbonk:
Priorities, priorties...so you may get a flooded basement, mouldy dry-wall, thousands of dollars of repairs and a divorce... But you'll be the single guy who has a flooded cellar, toxic walls and no money that developed a cost-effective HUD system for the masses. That makes a difference. Think about it! We all have to make sacrifices for greatness!
:hail::hail::hail:
:cheers:

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Priorities, priorties...so you may get a flooded basement, mouldy dry-wall, thousands of dollars of repairs and a divorce... But you'll be the single guy who has a flooded cellar, toxic walls and no money that developed a cost-effective HUD system for the masses. That makes a difference. Think about it! We all have to make sacrifices for greatness!
:hail::hail::hail:
:cheers:
Lol. I don't think it's anything too special. Pretty much basic Arduino stuff and the Neopixel libraries make it ultra easy to control the LED strips. I'm sure it's been done already, but the process of doing it yourself is the fun part. I ordered a rotary encoder so I can make the shift point an adjustable setting that can be saved to EEPROM. :cheers:

Sponsored

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
When I added adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning to my car I had to replace the defroster grille piece with the one that has the cutout for the HUD. After I wired in the HUD and programmed it I saw that you could probably make it have the factory shift lights like on the gt350 if you programmed the as built data in the IPC from a gt350. The wiring is the same for the HUD for both uses so I don't see why a little as built data changing couldn't make it work.. I just never got around to messing with it after I added the HUD for adaptive cruise.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
So is this mod being discussed different than the tach flashing red as my 2015 manual does already? Right around 6k the entire background lighting turns red from my preset white color.

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
google a gt350 shift light, this is the shift light on the gt350 all mustangs even my automatic have the tach gauge flash red at the red line

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
google a gt350 shift light, this is the shift light on the gt350 all mustangs even my automatic have the tach gauge flash red at the red line
Not base models.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Check out my thread for those interested. It is a little different than what is being asked for here but could be relevant to some of you guys if you want to put in your own 12V LED array and control it outside of the CANBUS system....http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90852
Sponsored