Official Performance Pack Level 2

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Basis? You are possibly correct, but everything seems to be a bit ambiguous. If PP2 doesn't come with Recaros that will be something the 1LE will have over it. I sat in a 1LE, the Recaros are nice, not strictly "race" and the faux suede was very grabby.
I disagree, Recaros absolutely should be an option. Big guys like me don't fit well in race seats but still like to race. This gives us the option to have a comfy seat and still get the track focused car. Forcing Recaros will eliminate a lot of buyers as not many people want to buy a car and have the first mod be to replace the front seats. So while yes I see your point, I would say the better/ more fair thing would be to make it a $0 option on this package so if u want them get them if not then don't.
Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Cloth Recaros are a no-cost option on the '18 301A PP2. Leather Recaros are a $1695 option on the '18 401A PP2.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
They are somewhat dangerous in the rain when new...and at that width, will be deadly in the rain.
What? Deadly in the rain?

Man I think back to all those times I died on track when doing HPDE in the wet on Rcomps, or on a motorcycle on the street in the rain.

Oh wait.....

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Hmm, I wonder if I'll be able to grab a PP2 rear sway bar for my car.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Is this going to show up on the Ford build site?

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Cloth Recaros are a no-cost option on the '18 301A PP2. Leather Recaros are a $1695 option on the '18 401A PP2.
Could be wrong and we'll find out, but not sure that will be the case. PP2 will be $2500 more than PP1. The cost of the Recaro's and Magnaride as options are over $3000 by themselves and that doesn't include the other PP2 upgrades. I believe PP2 is to match sticker and narrow the performance gap of to the 1LE. However, I believe that like the active exhaust, Recaro's will be optional. In addition, it would make PP1 obsolete if you added any options. From a financial perspective, I just don't see it.

Either way, the release is vague when it refers to the Recaro's. All it says is PP2 customers will have a "unique opportunity to specify cloth or leather" I believe it is a carefully worded statement that say what makes it unique, is for PP1 you can only specify leather, but they are still optional.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
What? Deadly in the rain?

Man I think back to all those times I died on track when doing HPDE in the wet on Rcomps, or on a motorcycle on the street in the rain.

Oh wait.....
For most people, on puddled public roads with half-bald rcomps that are 305mm wide in the front, it’s going to be a problem. Acting ignorant doesn’t help anyone.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
For most people, on puddled public roads with half-bald rcomps that are 305mm wide in the front, it’s going to be a problem. Acting ignorant doesn’t help anyone.
They probably should have done like the Focus RS and given people the choice of street tires vs rcomps on the package. Oh well, hopefully there are enough explainers for those who buy it 'for the nice wheels' and don't know what they're getting into.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
They probably should have done like the Focus RS and given people the choice of street tires vs rcomps on the package. Oh well, hopefully there are enough explainers for those who buy it 'for the nice wheels' and don't know what they're getting into.
I would like this option. I love the wheels and the tire size, but rain comes down like a waterfall here on the coast. I will have to take it easy if I go with PP2.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You could probably unload a fresh set of Cup2s with 10 miles on them and put MPSS's on the car.

MPSS is still a killer tire and you could probably make $100 in the process if you don't want the cups.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I would like this option. I love the wheels and the tire size, but rain comes down like a waterfall here on the coast. I will have to take it easy if I go with PP2.
What could go wrong with 5.5/32's new tread depth on a fast wearing tire?:D

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Well in theory this PP2 MY18 should equal or slightly out perform a base GT 350, due to wearing stickier cup 2 tyre, whereas base 350 was on MPSS.

So if a base 350 was competing with Camaro then an MY18 PP2 should also be. :)
It will be slightly slower as to not mess up the marketing ($$ price point) ecosystem. They don't want to lose their cash cow GT350.

Ecoboost < Ecoboost PP < GT < GT PP1 < GT PP2 < GT350

I'm surprised how fast they are passing BOSS and GT350 performance now.

The Mach1 was 2nd only to the Terminator until the 5.0 came out. That was about 6-7yrs? The v3 4.6 was close but weight + a bit less top end flow made it stay just behind it.

The BOSS 302 and GT350 seem to have been passed 1-2yrs later after their release. It's starting to make those cars feel less "special" when their performance is so quickly over taken by a lower priced GT with a package option on it.

Same issue with the King Of Road GT500. Like the next year, or year after ALL the parts that made the KOR GT500 special were suddenly standard.

It's really starting to feel that the top end Mustangs are just "next revisions performance, now". They didn't used to be like that.
Actually, most manufacturers do that. They use a special model as the testing platform for the next model. They often either reuse parts or knowledge learned from those performance models on the next version. Just like SOME of the Boss 302 engine internals were used on the 2015 GT. So the 2013 Boss 302 was the performance target for the 2015 GT. 2012 Cayman R (special "track" edition) was the performance target for the 2013 Cayman S.

Where'd you get that quote?

If this GTPP 2 does match the GT350 you're going to see some butthurt in the GT350 subsection. I can see the excuses now.

"Yea but FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC!"

"Yea but resale reaale resale!"

"Yea but the '18 is still ugly!"

"Gt350 sounds better, is more rare,, has a Shelby badge, revs to 8250 RPM."

PP2 with Auto would surpass the GT350. Marketing had to make it manual only, so it wouldn't kill the GT350 in straight line performance and road course performance. Its ok if the regular GT could do better in 0-60 b/c the GT350 was faster on the track. With the wider tires, and all the GT350 suspension, plus 460hp way and more torque, the GT PP2 would be faster all around. And it just won't happen until they discontinue or improve the GT350.

Why do they need to have different front and back wheels, if they are just 0.5" different in width and have the same tire size?

That just prevents tire rotation front to rear, which is so important to extend Cup2 tire life on track.

I was almost sure I'd order a 1LE for the spring, but this now gives me pause. I'll have to wait for some tests (like a Randy lap time or so) before I decide.

Oh, also, why is Ford so resistant to putting a Brembo caliper in the rear. Even the base Camaro SS and the V61LE has them?!!! It makes it such a pain in the ass to change rear pads on track (removing calipers, vs punching two pins and sliding new pads in).
I'm sure it has to do with proper offsets needed for the front to clear struts, have the right poke, etc.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Agree - I wonder how much the OE wheels will be.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It will be slightly slower as to not mess up the marketing ($$ price point) ecosystem. They don't want to lose their cash cow GT350.

Ecoboost < Ecoboost PP < GT < GT PP1 < GT PP2 < GT350

Actually, most manufacturers do that. They use a special model as the testing platform for the next model. They often either reuse parts or knowledge learned from those performance models on the next version. Just like SOME of the Boss 302 engine internals were used on the 2015 GT. So the 2013 Boss 302 was the performance target for the 2015 GT. 2012 Cayman R (special "track" edition) was the performance target for the 2013 Cayman S.

PP2 with Auto would surpass the GT350. Marketing had to make it manual only, so it wouldn't kill the GT350 in straight line performance and road course performance. Its ok if the regular GT could do better in 0-60 b/c the GT350 was faster on the track. With the wider tires, and all the GT350 suspension, plus 460hp way and more torque, the GT PP2 would be faster all around. And it just won't happen until they discontinue or improve the GT350.

I'm sure it has to do with proper offsets needed for the front to clear struts, have the right poke, etc.
You know that the suspension isn't the same as the GT350, right?

How many laps are you going to do before you burn up the trans and diff?
Sponsored