Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
There is quite a bit of information floating around in various threads...
Thought I'd try to focus on retrofitting an OEM differential cooler from a Track Pack car to a Tech Pack car.

I have all the parts and I have installed everything. Adapters, hoses, cooler, pump, etc. etc. It's all there now.

I have enabled the axle temperature function on the display along with the transmission temperature.

As noted by others, there is no wiring/harness available to plug in the pump nor the sensor, so currently, it's all there, but useless.

Does anyone have access to the parts book/diagram to ascertain the following?

1) Is there a harness from a Track Pack that can plug into the existing main harness?

2) There seem to be several 'main harnesses' that go through the car depending on the options. Will the Tech Pack harness support the Track Pack diff cooler harness jumper/pigtail?

Based on what little I know, the diff cooler pump is a variable speed unit which is controlled by the PCM via PWM? (Pulse Width Modulation).

If the wiring addition supports it, I would guess that the sensor would show up without any changes once it is hooked into the wiring since I have the gauge 'enabled'. Might be wrong though....

Will the PCM automatically see the pump and control it?
I doubt it... I would guess the 'as built' programming would have to be modified to a Track Pack.

Any solid information would be appreciated.
If I find out anything more, I'll let y'all know.

Thanks,
Kirby
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for posting and getting this going. Can you post a list of the parts you bought so far?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks for posting this Kirby.

You're correct that there's been other threads but as [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION] asked, having a list of OEM parts would be excellent to have!

I commend you for getting as far as you have, my local parts guy was reluctant to give me any info on part numbers and such. Also, Isaac at FP has stated Tech packs do not support integration of the rear diff sensor info at the CANBUS...

Good luck and thanks for any additional info you can offer:cheers:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Great work so far. I am curious as well. Since the gauge software I hope the pump interface is there as well. I wonder if Ford says CANBUS cannot be supported because they don't want us messing around in there. I sure like my transmission temp gauge that wasn't supposed to be there.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Great work so far. I am curious as well. Since the gauge software I hope the pump interface is there as well. I wonder if Ford says CANBUS cannot be supported because they don't want us messing around in there. I sure like my transmission temp gauge that wasn't supposed to be there.
The blocking part on a diff kit is the OP's stopping point. The wiring harness is different so it will be very difficult to plug the hardware in. I can pretty much guarantee that there is an asbuilt value for "diff cooler installed", you just have to find it. But again, it won't matter unless the electrical connections to the PCM can be figured out.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The pump harness is separate from the rest. When I removed the IRS cradle from my track pack it was a plug that disconnected the harness from the pump harness. I'll see if it has a part number on the harness when I get home. You could easily find out if voltage and signal is coming from the Ecu by heating the diff temp sensor with a heat gun or hot boiling water and then check voltage or pump operation. Or if you have access to a scan tool you could control the pump on. I have a scan tool but that's no help to you.

OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting and getting this going. Can you post a list of the parts you bought so far?
I have attached a PDF with the part numbers I've been working with.
Please, I can't guarantee all this will work for you, if you decide to pull the trigger, but it is what I've ordered.

Please, please read the notes. I have one piece that's damned expensive and I don't need it! The bracket for the pump came with the pump, so I have an extra bracket. Don't know if I can return it or not...

I have only installed the differential cooler parts so far. It all went on as you would expect once you remember it's a mass produced car and should be simple...

Notes for the diff cooler install.

1) There is a black, plastic 'box' under the trunk. Look at this long and hard before you start. It has to be unbolted to proceed. It plays a part in mounting both the coil and the pump.

2) The forward most bolts holding the box on will not be long enough to mount the pump bracket. There are no bolts that fit in my list, so I just went and bought 6mm x 35mm bolts and used them instead.

3) The nut clips I have listed were 8mm. One of these worked perfectly in the back of the black box to mount the coil. 8mm is too big to mount the pump bracket, so I ended up drilling out the bushing to 8mm so I could put an 8mm bolt in. If you can find a 6mm clip, then use that!

4) If you're really good, you won't get too much oil down your arm and shirt when you pull the drain plug and replace it with the adapter. Remember that once you get the cooler and pump installed, you'll need more diff oil.

5) You will need to pull the two bolts and all the little retaining clips so that you can drop the diffuser down to gain access. I did not take it off completely. I just let it hang there while I installed everything.

That should do it.

Later,
Kirby

Attachments

OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting this Kirby.

You're correct that there's been other threads but as [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION] asked, having a list of OEM parts would be excellent to have!

I commend you for getting as far as you have, my local parts guy was reluctant to give me any info on part numbers and such. Also, Isaac at FP has stated Tech packs do not support integration of the rear diff sensor info at the CANBUS...

Good luck and thanks for any additional info you can offer:cheers:
Parts list posted.

According to some wiring diagrams I have, the sensor runs to a PCM.
The PCM triggers the diff pump relay located in the front.

I don't understand the comment about the CANBUS not supporting it.
CANBUS is a two wire bus with multiple masters.
As long as the wiring harness exists and the wires run to the PCM, then it's all software from there.
:):):):)

I'd LOVE to have the part number for the harness that goes to the pump and the one that goes to the sensor.

At the very least, I can hook it up to run manually like I plan to do with the transmission.

Later,
Kirby

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks Kirby :hail:
Pdf. is awesome :cheers: Appreciate the info and your notes. Very helpful!

Tried to understand and relay what Isaac at FP stated,,,glad you have a different take on it.

BTW, NICE collection you got going!

Last edited:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Here's the differential cooler pump harness from my 2016 GT350 track pack
image.jpg

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Another pic of same harness
image.jpg

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
4) If you're really good, you won't get too much oil down your arm and shirt when you pull the drain plug and replace it with the adapter. Remember that once you get the cooler and pump installed, you'll need more diff oil.
Just putting it out there that at that point would be a great time to drain and fill with 75w140 gear oil instead of the stock 75w85 fluid. It should hold up better under high temperatures and believe me, despite adding a cooler, it will still get plenty warm under high speeds and/or lots of acceleration. Even if you don't decide to change the weight, you should at least change the stock fluid after the first few thousand miles to get all the crud out.

OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
I fully understand.

Trouble is, without the pump being able to pump, there's no way to move the oil out of the diff and fill the cooler, etal.

I have the nice BG stuff coming, enough for the diff and pump and cooler, but haven't drained and refilled yet.

Just sayin'...

Thanks,
Kirby

Just putting it out there that at that point would be a great time to drain and fill with 75w140 gear oil instead of the stock 75w85 fluid. It should hold up better under high temperatures and believe me, despite adding a cooler, it will still get plenty warm under high speeds and/or lots of acceleration. Even if you don't decide to change the weight, you should at least change the stock fluid after the first few thousand miles to get all the crud out.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
To any '16 Track/R owners willing to help your Tech brethren/sistren out with attempting to figure out the 'as built' differences from Forscan and/or the wiring, please post here. Thanks in advance :cheers:
You don't need a track pack car to know what their As Built values are... just go to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt and plug-in a track pack car VIN, like 1FA6P8JZ7G5520586 for example.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853