Sponsored

What ever you do, dont be like this guy!

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Don't let it stop you from enjoying your car. Big difference between his boosted Mustang and a stock or close to stock PP GT. If I let bad videos scare me out of doing stuff, I would never fly, drive, eat, shoot guns, etc. Life would just suck.
I'm boosted at 675ish whp on 20" drag radials. so this does make me worry some.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Moral of the story most "Mustang Meme" is a result of the driver not letting off soon enough. The slightest movement sideways, or noticing it not pulling is tire spin. GENTLY ease out of the throttle, and make any countercorrection needed. Too many people just don't have that out of control instinct. To be fair they never learned it growing up driving. Myself and anyone who successfully gets out of tire spin grew up in some beater first car powersliding(some 150 or less hp POS) dirt roads, or rain/ice and that instinct is there. I had a racer buddy one time say to a group of us standing around that we all learned more from $1,500 turds than any drag car can teach us. Spot on he was.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I'm boosted at 675ish whp on 20" drag radials. so this does make me worry some.
Just be careful. =)

Here we have a local county airport that hosts drags about once a month through the summer. If you run off, there are no walls to hit. Maybe you could find something like that where you wouldn't have to worry as much.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just be careful. =)

Here we have a local county airport that hosts drags about once a month through the summer. If you run off, there are no walls to hit. Maybe you could find something like that where you wouldn't have to worry as much.
Man! That would have been nice to know about. I lived in Oakdale for about 10 months, I have been gone less than a year.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Moral of the story most "Mustang Meme" is a result of the driver not letting off soon enough. The slightest movement sideways, or noticing it not pulling is tire spin. GENTLY ease out of the throttle, and make any countercorrection needed. Too many people just don't have that out of control instinct. To be fair they never learned it growing up driving. Myself and anyone who successfully gets out of tire spin grew up in some beater first car powersliding(some 150 or less hp POS) dirt roads, or rain/ice and that instinct is there. I had a racer buddy one time say to a group of us standing around that we all learned more from $1,500 turds than any drag car can teach us. Spot on he was.
I have plenty of experience dealing with spinning and been in rain several times with my drag radials so I know the feeling and respond properly in those conditions. I just didn't know if on a prepped track with low tire pressure if the response was any different.

On a side night, since I have never been to the strip.... I think I need a helmet, can you rent these at the drag strip or do I need to purchase one if I want to race? Any thing else I need to think about ahead of time?

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Stick shift will still probably decide to get squirly at the track. You need to buy a helmet. get a new one so the certification lasts the longest. nothing special, just snell 2015 cert. On drag radials with a stick shift on a track with highish hp I wouldn't launch very hard, or shift extremely hard or your half shafts will part ways with you.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Stick shift will still probably decide to get squirly at the track. You need to buy a helmet. get a new one so the certification lasts the longest. nothing special, just snell 2015 cert. On drag radials with a stick shift on a track with highish hp I wouldn't launch very hard, or shift extremely hard or your half shafts will part ways with you.
Half shafts parted ways with me a while ago due to wheel hop. I have DSS aluminum driveshaft and DSS 1400 hp axles. I also have a built MT82. Hopefully nothing else will decide to break if I track it!
Thanks for the info on the helmet, I will look into that!

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Man! That would have been nice to know about. I lived in Oakdale for about 10 months, I have been gone less than a year.
Yup, they do it in Waynesburg. Pretty cool how they do it. I will be taking the Mustang there soon. =)

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
This sounds good but if it happens to you in a hi-horsepower car you'll find it's not quite that easy.All cars get a bit squirrelly when the tires are slipping and you hate to let up and lose.So your instincts are to try and ride it out. The losing control part happens extremely fast.All the drivers in all the multitude of videos are trying to do the right thing. Its not easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but in this spin a better driver would have been able to a avoid the wall. Better to lose the race then lose the car or much worst your life!

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Yeah but in this spin a better driver would have been able to a avoid the wall. Better to lose the race then lose the car or much worst your life!
To add insult to injury he jumps on the brakes mid slide, which is pretty much the worst possible thing you could do. He corrected the first spin ok, but the second one stayed in it way too long...

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
One thing i will say is its a big difference being out playing around drifting your car or truck around.I use ti play around and see how far i could keep car sideways going down the street.But when u have a high hp fast car things happen very quickly.I bet that guy was 60/70 mph in that liitle time and alls it takes is one tiny mistake and your just along for the ride,even if your Von Gitten Jr lol.I have had my car jump out sideways on me when i was not expecting it,let out but it was already too late,hardest thing to do is to get back into the throttle to straighten the car back out,especially when tree's are heading your way.But getting back into the throttle is the only way to stop a crash sometimes,and sometimes theirs nothing u can do because of the speed and space u have at the time u lose control.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
It was a NO PREP event and that was his one and only problem.

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
16 Premium GT, 17 Laramie Cummins
His one and only problem was not knowing how to drive.

OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
His opponent didn't have an issue!!