SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I swapped to sync 3 from base with a premium ACM now volume is lower.

Anyone know what to change on the ACM to bring it back up to normal ?
Give the ACM change I posted here a shot: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1811217&postcount=1300

If that doesn't work, take a look at my more in-depth post on the differences between base and premium ACM as-built, and see if you find inspiration: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1810550&postcount=1292

Then let us know what works!
Sponsored

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
If you are updated to 2.2 then you already have android auto. You have to enable it in the settings on the radio, then make sure AA is downloaded and updated on your device. Plug your phone into the front USB port and it should automatically pop up once it pairs with your phone. I just recently went through this with my stepdads 17 Fusion Hybrid as when I first plugged my phone into his car it wouldnt launch AA.
I enabled the AA on the radio, and AA is downloaded and updated on my phone. When I connected my phone to the USB port, nothing popped up on the screen... I tried using Nexus 5x as well, but nothing happened... :(:frusty:

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I didn't have to enable AA. It was there after I did the update and two different Samsung phones have used it without issue.

As far as alternate install methods I didn't address them for a specific reason, if you have the equipment installed in a manner that doesn't replicate what Ford did it becomes a crap shoot as to what works and what doesn't. Yes, I know people have AA running on the base hub (which, again, is NOT a hub) but the pieces to do this are relatively cheap and I would encourage people to do it right the first time. The same goes for the wiring, without access to Ford internal schematics I can't reliably state what the data lines between terminal 6 & 19 on the ACM and 51 & 52 on the APIM do or don't do.

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I didn't have to enable AA. It was there after I did the update and two different Samsung phones have used it without issue.

As far as alternate install methods I didn't address them for a specific reason, if you have the equipment installed in a manner that doesn't replicate what Ford did it becomes a crap shoot as to what works and what doesn't. Yes, I know people have AA running on the base hub (which, again, is NOT a hub) but the pieces to do this are relatively cheap and I would encourage people to do it right the first time. The same goes for the wiring, without access to Ford internal schematics I can't reliably state what the data lines between terminal 6 & 19 on the ACM and 51 & 52 on the APIM do or don't do.
I will install everything that you mentioned. I have a question about the hub wiring. I bought a connector (WPT-1239) from Ford, and it has 4 wires, which are about 6-inch long. Do I just need to remove two wires (#2 and #3) from the connector, and extend wires (#1 and #4) to APIM?

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yes, exactly. Pin 1 on the hub is 12v connect it to pin 8 on APIM pin 4 is ground, remove the wire present in terminal 38 on the APIM, tape it back and add that wire from the hub. For anyone else doing this swap before you pay $20 for WPT-1239 look at the part numbers I provide or PM if you need something made. I am out of town until next Sunday but will try to respond.

Sponsored

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base with PP
** UPDATED 6/28/2017**

SAT/HD have a black and curry Fakra on the rear, the SDARS ID and a disclaimer about HD printed on the label

SAT/HD begin with M i.e FR3T-19C107-MJ or i.e FR3T-19C107-MA
Base cars mainly have J and S suffixes.
My advice is not to purchase anything without pictures.
This is such good scoop to have. I wanted to add that it seems as if Ford has cycled the part numbers from F to G on these ACM head units. I have one on hand now that is GR3T-19C107-CA, built in December, 2015. It has both the black and the curry Fakra on the rear and it has the HD Radio language on the label. So, an HD/Sirius unit may now also have a C suffix if its part number begins with GR3T.

Bswor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 coupe, 06 saleen clone, 15 gt
Where did you guys mount the aftermarket gps antenna? Does it have to be exposed or can it be hidden away.

I am going from mft to sync3 tomorrow and I don't use the USB hub that's in the console. Do I still need to change wiring for the hub if I'm only interested in Android auto? I usually only use the front USB located below the AC controls for charging my phone, will that USB still be functional?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Where did you guys mount the aftermarket gps antenna? Does it have to be exposed or can it be hidden away.

I am going from mft to sync3 tomorrow and I don't use the USB hub that's in the console. Do I still need to change wiring for the hub if I'm only interested in Android auto? I usually only use the front USB located below the AC controls for charging my phone, will that USB still be functional?
When you remove the trim that is in the center of the dash, you'll see the GPSM module, if you carefully peel the GPSM module off of its metal mounting bracket you can attach your new antenna to that.

The hub that you need (HU5Z) is mentioned in the thread. The hub that is in your car now will cause problems with Sync 3. You can not use Android Auto with your current USB routing. What you need is the hub adapter harness that's pictured, the hub and either the USB cables I some way to adapt your old cables.

I'll just put this out there, several people have informed that without the HU5Z hub they had issues with Android Auto.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This is such good scoop to have. I wanted to add that it seems as if Ford has cycled the part numbers from F to G on these ACM head units. I have one on hand now that is GR3T-19C107-CA, built in December, 2015. It has both the black and the curry Fakra on the rear and it has the HD Radio language on the label. So, an HD/Sirius unit may now also have a C suffix if its part number begins with GR3T.
There are actually a dozen different suffixes. I listed the most popular. But yes the C series of suffix are SAT and HD, they're just a bit rarer in Mustang.

DeepImpactGTny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Deep Impact Blue MT PP
To confirm, if I have a MY15 MFT Premium(with touch screen) Looks like all I need is the APIM + Screen, the usb hub, and the 15 dollar gps antenna? Or does this scenario need pin/wiring work as well in relation to the APIM?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
To confirm, if I have a MY15 MFT Premium(with touch screen) Looks like all I need is the APIM + Screen, the usb hub, and the 15 dollar gps antenna? Or does this scenario need pin/wiring work as well in relation to the APIM?
No APIM work needed. You will need to buy or build the wiring adapter for the Hub and you will need to adapt your USB cables so that they mimic what the HU5Z and Sync 3 cables do. You can PM me.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
So I have a 2015 premium GT with Sync, Sat radio, non-nav.

What is required for me to upgrade to Sync 3 + NAV and keep Sat Radio?

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT

New Screen and Apim...Sat is is the ACM which you wont need to change.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert

4Dtech has an excellent install video for upgrading from sync 2 to sync 3. Their website has the info about what you need. They sell a complete upgrade kit. It is pricey, but even includes an adapter for the hub replacement.
If you want Nav (doesn't matter if you already have it) they add $500. Total comes to $2099 with free shipping. They also have dash removal tools and the correct nut driver for removing your apim, for sale.

That is a lot of money, but they preprogram the unit to your vin and CarPlay/Android auto are already installed.

Whether you buy from them or not, the install video is excellent and goes from dash removal through dash reinstall.

I ordered the kit. Includes 1 year warranty and ships in one week, free.

I will let you guys know how it goes. It is very plug and play. Oh also, they have you install the new gps antenna under the top dash speaker grill. That seems like a better location than under the dash, as some have recommended. Infotainment sells the same kit for the same price (but no hub adapter-not really a big deal as wiring there is minimal). Both sites say that all your factory controls will be maintained...climate, steering wheel, sat radio, etc.

We will see. :headbonk:

here's the link https://www.4dtech.com/2015-ford-mustang-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/ video at bottom of the page.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
LMFAO $2099 for an APIM, a harness and FORSCan programming you can do yourself?!?!? 4Dtech is the biggest bunch of rip off artists out there. You can do everything they do for 1/4 of that $2099. I make that hub adapter for $10, the same thing they charge $50 f'n dollars for. This thread is for people that aren't interested in taking it in the a$$
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.