Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Honestly, I think the MY2018 Mustang w/magneride will be a better canyon carver and all around performer, then the M2. We will see comparison reviews of each shortly, but nothing in the BMW M2 was impressive, except the brakes.

BMW's M-Division is not what it use to be. I am moving my weekend hobby'ing to Ford Performance Racing (FPR).
The question is if it's on par with the M4, beating the M2 with nearly 100hp less should not be the benchmark :D
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
OK this has to be one of the best review video's I've seen yet, guessing he owns the car as it looks like he customised the digital dash with his own colours.

Also skip to 16 minutes and look how quick and responsive it is on the paddles when the car is correctly in S mode, that looks pretty responsive to me on both upshift and downshift.

Car in auto seems a bit odd, but not overly fussed by that as I love paddle shifters.

He also does a track apps 0-60 run, gets 4s flat and I think he might be changing gear manually even though its in drag mode, but not sure:

[ame]

Not bad as the car does not have recaro, forged wheels or mag ride, so those optioned out cars will be even quicker. :D

He says its quicker than 350 and feels quicker then the Vette too, this gen3 Coyote seems a lot more potent, then combined with A10 its a bit of a performance king it seems.

Cannot wait to see what these things do with a tune on them, gonna be in the 11's at over 120mph for sure on street tyre. :)

Quarter Horse

Deathstroke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium
OK this has to be one of the best review video's I've seen yet, guessing he owns the car as it looks like he customised the digital dash with his own colours.
Man. I watched that video earlier and got goose bumps thinking about that 0-60.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
He also does a track apps 0-60 run, gets 4s flat and I think he might be changing gear manually even though its in drag mode, but not sure
He missed to actually stop the time for his run. I tried to cut it in a video program and it's about 4.3s from let loose the brake until he hits 60, not 4s flat

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Good video. One thing he did mention was that when in drag mode, it softens the rear suspension for a better launch. Obviously, he was wrong as this car (as he mentioned) does not have Magneride. Just imagine the 0-60 times with Magneride :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
[ame]

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
"But the transmission falls to pieces when faced with more power. My first outing in the 2018 Mustang was behind the wheel of a GT with the 10-speed automatic and aside from a pre-dawn sprint to Point Dume Beach on day two of the program, I never touched it again. The 10-speed auto is recalcitrant in the V-8-powered Mustang GT, constantly unsure of which gear is right for the occasion. With 10 to choose from, at one point I saw the gear indicator go from seven to five to three after going from steady-state cruising to half throttle—what followed was an unnecessary and annoying surge from under the hood as the transmission suddenly called most of the Mustang's 460 hp to action. Manual mode didn't solve the problem, either. Unless I was caning the 5.0-liter V-8, the 10-speed just wasn’t willing to cooperate."
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1113762_2018-ford-mustang-first-drive-review-getting-serious

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the 10 speed auto....

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
"But the transmission falls to pieces when faced with more power. My first outing in the 2018 Mustang was behind the wheel of a GT with the 10-speed automatic and aside from a pre-dawn sprint to Point Dume Beach on day two of the program, I never touched it again. The 10-speed auto is recalcitrant in the V-8-powered Mustang GT, constantly unsure of which gear is right for the occasion. With 10 to choose from, at one point I saw the gear indicator go from seven to five to three after going from steady-state cruising to half throttle—what followed was an unnecessary and annoying surge from under the hood as the transmission suddenly called most of the Mustang's 460 hp to action. Manual mode didn't solve the problem, either. Unless I was caning the 5.0-liter V-8, the 10-speed just wasn’t willing to cooperate."
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1113762_2018-ford-mustang-first-drive-review-getting-serious

It's a 10 speed automatic transmission everyone uses the throttle differently and everyone drives differently there is no way you can program the 10 speed to always be perfect for everyone. This is evident from one review making the AT look amazing while other videos creates some doubt.

But what most of these reviewers - us included - fail to realise is that with more experience and a little adapting to the 10 speed it'll prolly do exactly what you want when you want it.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

LOL It can describe my CVT that acts the same way after "spirited" driving. It seems to no longer know what ratio to go for when I go back to driving around town again.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
I test drove a gt premium today with 10 speed auto, pp, 3.55, and active exhaust.

In the sport+ setting the transmission was noticeably awkward on slow speed starts almost akin to a manual trans with a poor driver. Did the exact same take off under the other settings (normal, track, drag strip) and it was much smoother.

Also noticed when coming to spirited stops the trans definitely blipped down the gears as it stopped which was pretty cool but might get old. Much more aggressive in sport+ on these as well.

Those that want a quiet exhaust (or have significant others that like it) will be very pleased with the quiet exhaust setting.

Car is super fun to drive with the new 10 speed.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Test drove an 18 GT yesterday. Vehicle had PP, 401A, Active Exhaust. Here are my impressions
1) The cluster is simply amazing, i think this is the best part of the 18 upgrades. Any of the pics or videos saw online don't do it any justice. You have to see it in person. It's definitely not a gimmick. It was bright, colorful and looks sharp.
2) The exhaust was good, in sport and track it was loud and rumbly in the cabin. I felt a bit of drone occasionally but Quiet mode resolves it.
3) Front end looked fine in person, and from the driver's seat now the hood is flat. While it improves visibility, i like the old hood better from inside the cabin.
4) The leather on steering wheel has been changed, it's more soft and feels much better. I think since this vehicle is equipped with 401A it has the heated steering wheel.
5) The clutch feels much improved than the one in 15-17 cars
6) The ride is much more stable and planted now, and i didn't observe the bounciness feeling of the suspension that was in 15-17 cars

I will be upgrading to 18 for sure but i don't know how to get rid of my current 16 V6. Trade in offers are ridiculously low.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I would love the see how the digital cluster handles at night. I have the digital cockpit in my audi and while it's pretty cool with map view in the cluster and stuff like that, for night driving you just can't set it up dark enough for my taste. It is still bright in the lowest settings, so it's a bit of exhausting in the dark

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Test drove an 18 GT yesterday. Vehicle had PP, 401A, Active Exhaust. Here are my impressions
1) The cluster is simply amazing, i think this is the best part of the 18 upgrades. Any of the pics or videos saw online don't do it any justice. You have to see it in person. It's definitely not a gimmick. It was bright, colorful and looks sharp.
2) The exhaust was good, in sport and track it was loud and rumbly in the cabin. I felt a bit of drone occasionally but Quiet mode resolves it.
3) Front end looked fine in person, and from the driver's seat now the hood is flat. While it improves visibility, i like the old hood better from inside the cabin.
4) The leather on steering wheel has been changed, it's more soft and feels much better. I think since this vehicle is equipped with 401A it has the heated steering wheel.
5) The clutch feels much improved than the one in 15-17 cars
6) The ride is much more stable and planted now, and i didn't observe the bounciness feeling of the suspension that was in 15-17 cars

I will be upgrading to 18 for sure but i don't know how to get rid of my current 16 V6. Trade in offers are ridiculously low.

Of course the trade in offers are low at the dealer. They are in business to make money. Take a deep breath and understand those two years were the biggest hits for depreciation and now you want to buy the most desirable version weeks after a major refresh. I would suggest you step away from all the internet hype and think it through. First of all there will be some problems with the engine and transmission as both are basically new. I’m still not crazy about the plasma coating for one, but why be a test subject when you can wait a bit. Plus it is winter here so few are interested in buying used Mustangs now. I’d wait till the spring and you would at least know some of the problems with the refresh and hopefully resolved and get a better price on your current car. At least you can pick you moment to buy. When my last car crapped out on me I had like one day to buy my current ride. Anyway that is what I would do.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Finally a good picture of the digital dash showing navigation info between the main dials:
indicator1000.jpg
Sponsored