2018 Challenger Scat Pack
told u guys.. its bearing related.
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
^ enough for me to dump this car. Mines not that bad but you mentioning its worse with the AC on is exactly my dilema. Too bad, car shopping next week!
This knock was the biggest reason I dumped mine. The dealer refused to acknowledge that it existed.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
I would bail ASAP too if this ever happened to me

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I am not sure if my car is in the same situation here. I just noticed lately that there is tick (clanking) noise coming from under my car while driving. This happens when I drive with very slow speed when I press the gas pedal. There is no noise while idling. And it seems like this happens only with the cold start. I cannot hear the noise when the windows are closed. But I can hear it clearly when I drive in the garage or next to the wall/building.

I changed the oil (Mobile one extended performance 5W-20) about 4000 miles ago. The noise is similar to the ones on the videos posted in this thread, but it is not constant tick sounds. The mods I have done to my car are Magnaflow street catback and drop-in green filter. No tune.

Should I change the oil to 5W-30 and see what will happen? Or should I just take my car to a dealership?

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I am not sure if my car is in the same situation here. I just noticed lately that there is tick (clanking) noise coming from under my car while driving. This happens when I drive with very slow speed when I press the gas pedal. There is no noise while idling. And it seems like this happens only with the cold start. I cannot hear the noise when the windows are closed. But I can hear it clearly when I drive in the garage or next to the wall/building.

I changed the oil (Mobile one extended performance 5W-20) about 4000 miles ago. The noise is similar to the ones on the videos posted in this thread, but it is not constant tick sounds. The mods I have done to my car are Magnaflow street catback and drop-in green filter. No tune.

Should I change the oil to 5W-30 and see what will happen? Or should I just take my car to a dealership?
Take it to the dealer and get the issue documented. That was my symptoms too. I could only hear it next to buildings and curbs. It sounded like metal going through heat cycles. It was definitely coming from the bottom of the car right around the oil pan area, however I can't rule out exhaust flex pipe fittings.

The reason I don't think it was exhaust related is because mine started after an oil change as well. I honestly think that it was the bearings. The dealer never acknowledged that there was a problem. Only the tech who I spoke to initially said he heard it. Then later that day, they said there was no noise.

It was like a coverup or something.

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
Take it to the dealer and get the issue documented. That was my symptoms too. I could only hear it next to buildings and curbs. It sounded like metal going through heat cycles. It was definitely coming from the bottom of the car right around the oil pan area, however I can't rule out exhaust flex pipe fittings.

The reason I don't think it was exhaust related is because mine started after an oil change as well. I honestly think that it was the bearings. The dealer never acknowledged that there was a problem. Only the tech who I spoke to initially said he heard it. Then later that day, they said there was no noise.

It was like a coverup or something.
Thanks for the reply. Were you able to fix the problem? Or you are still hearing it?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Thanks for the reply. Were you able to fix the problem? Or you are still hearing it?
I actually traded the car in after the dealership experience. Not to derail the thread, but my car was in the shop getting re-painted under warranty 4 times. They couldn't fix any of my problems and I was getting fed up with the ticking.

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I actually traded the car in after the dealership experience. Not to derail the thread, but my car was in the shop getting re painted under warranty 4 times. They couldn't fix any of my problems and I was getting fed up with the ticking.
I'm sorry to hear that... I had an ecoboost Mustang before and the engine blew. Now I have GT. Hope the problem my car has is fixable...

FRANKENSTANG

"Proudly" Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium
Exactly the same problem here. The car makes a horrible sound like maracas after the idle settles from a cold start. That lasts about 3-5 minutes until it’s completely warm, then it goes away. When driving near a wall or curb and sometimes even just taking off under light load I hear the exact same noise others describe here. It’s a ticking, clicking noise from the bottom end but not necessarily a knock. Seems to happen most often around 1500 - 2500 rpm.

The optimist in me hoped its a heatshield / exhaust issue but I no longer believe that’s the case. I can also hear the noise when revving the engine around the same range while parked like the previously posted video, it’s just not as frequent or severe. I’m trying to get in contact with a couple of dealerships but they don’t seem eager to help out.

I love my car but I hate that there’s potentially a catastrophic problem with less than 10k on the clock. I’m losing confidence in the quality of the coyote platform and Ford in general.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Anyone with this problem who has a full header back exhaust? That will rule out stock header/flex pipe and cats being the issue.

FRANKENSTANG

"Proudly" Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT Premium
My only mods are axlebacks, catch can and drop in air filter. The stake through the heart was Oscifer’s video. My sound is identical to his.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
My only mods are axlebacks, catch can and drop in air filter. The stake through the heart was Oscifer’s video. My sound is identical to his video.
Yea mine also sounded like that but maybe a tad less severe. It was definitely heartbreaking to have my 14k mile car sound like a clunker.

I'd get it into the dealer to start a trail. Whether it's heat shielding or actual engine damage, it needs to be addressed before warranty runs out.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
The fix is a new short block

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The fix is a new short block
The problem is that even if you had a mild tune on it, you've given them the absolute cause to void your warranty. Go and prove it was doing it before the tune.

Yea yea yea, I know the magnuson moss act. The truth is that they'll claim your tune put excessive pressure on the components and caused the wear and tear in the engine. There's a good chance the judge will agree.
Sponsored