Sponsored

Reverse Sensing

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
BLIS is designed to pick up cars NEXT to you or quickly coming up behind you on the sides that might be hidden in your blind spot and hits you with a warning light in your side mirrors. Entirely different purpose then the back up rear bumper alert sensors.

I have BLIS and like it (originally didn't think i would) but it is a tool and not and end in itself--you still need to 'look'- just a back up system to cover your 'blind spot'.
Solid advice but one thing needs further clarification. BLIS does not always pick up a vehicle moving at a high rate of speed that enters your blind spot. I read somewhere a car must be in your blind spot for 2 seconds before BLIS will detect it. Last week I started a lane change after checking both my mirrors on a stretch of what I thought was empty highway. I was immediately greeted by a horn blast from an Audi SUV that blew by me doing 90+. I never saw him in my mirrors and neither did BLIS. It wasn't a close call but I felt a little stupid for not making the effort to take a good look. Lesson learned, what you said needs repeating, BLIS is a good tool but don't rely on it.
Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Sensors are nice, I don't stare solely at my camera when backing up as I look around for other things such as if the nose of the car is going to clear as you turn and back out. The sensors will warn you if something pops up behind you during those other checks. Plus the way people drive, walk, etc nowadays the more tools I have to help the better.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I love mine. I have a school across the street and four others near by and find the sensors to be extra insurance backing out the driveway in the Escape or Mustang. Wouldn't be without them any longer.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
So a question for those that have it. I back in to driveways whenever possible. My dad taught me that you are usually in a hurry to leave, but not in a hurry when you get home. I back into my garage now with another car parked on the driver's side and storage shelf's on the passenger side. I back in close enough that my passenger side-view mirror is about 1/2 to 1/4 inch from a box, which puts the rest of the side of the car about 6-8" from the shelf.

Will it squeal at me continuously every time I back in?

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I was heasitant to order them and ultimately decided they were cheaper to add than a bumper respray. Our Keep Grand Cherokee has them and I find them helpful.

Sponsored

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Can the backup sensors (not the BLIS, I already have that) be added by the dealer to a car without them?

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Solid advice but one thing needs further clarification. BLIS does not always pick up a vehicle moving at a high rate of speed that enters your blind spot. I read somewhere a car must be in your blind spot for 2 seconds before BLIS will detect it. Last week I started a lane change after checking both my mirrors on a stretch of what I thought was empty highway. I was immediately greeted by a horn blast from an Audi SUV that blew by me doing 90+. I never saw him in my mirrors and neither did BLIS. It wasn't a close call but I felt a little stupid for not making the effort to take a good look. Lesson learned, what you said needs repeating, BLIS is a good tool but don't rely on it.
yes very true, but it has surprised me just how good it is, it even spots cyclists who just love to be in your blind spot, also for me being a Lefty in a RHD country, its very welcome, with the S197 was a lot of hassle but this makes it so much easier
Yes i do still look, but this is a big help and the Cross Traffic is just brilliant, the other day was pulling out had my eyes on the camera and suddenly the car screamed at me as there was a post office van not even seeing me as he cut across my back end, that could have been very nasty

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
So a question for those that have it. I back in to driveways whenever possible. My dad taught me that you are usually in a hurry to leave, but not in a hurry when you get home. I back into my garage now with another car parked on the driver's side and storage shelf's on the passenger side. I back in close enough that my passenger side-view mirror is about 1/2 to 1/4 inch from a box, which puts the rest of the side of the car about 6-8" from the shelf.

Will it squeal at me continuously every time I back in?
Yes, they go to a solid tone at around a foot away from an obstacle.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Yes, they go to a solid tone at around a foot away from an obstacle.
It reminds me of a heart rate monitor on medical TV show when the patient has flat-lined... it gets your attention.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I like my sensors as I have a tight driveway and it helps not backing into shrubs, snow banks, etc.

CVCashmere

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Well, that will be super annoying. I park with way less than a foot on the passenger side.
It's really easy to silence them for cases like that. It's just down, then OK on the steering wheel. Every time you shift in to reverse the screen goes to the on/off menu for the sensors, so you don't have to dig for them. Handy when you have a bike rack or pulling a trailer. (Our Explorer has the sensors as well).

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
I have BLIS and no sensors. Maybe because I dont have them, but I dont see a reason to have the sensors with the camera and BLIS.

When backing out of my driveway I have a rise to my left about 4 houses down (with pretty big yards in between) and as soon as a car crests it I get alerts. and this is almost a direct 90 degree shot.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have BLIS and no sensors. Maybe because I dont have them, but I dont see a reason to have the sensors with the camera and BLIS.

When backing out of my driveway I have a rise to my left about 4 houses down (with pretty big yards in between) and as soon as a car crests it I get alerts. and this is almost a direct 90 degree shot.
If you have BLIS, you have sensors....that is how it works. When you are backing out of your driveway, the cross trafic alert system is functioning. When you are driving down the road, the BLIS system is functioning. They are part of the same package. The fact that you haven't noticed that you have sensors shows just how much of a "no big deal" it is visually.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/safety/blis-with-cross-traffic-alert.html
Sponsored