Sponsored

Excessive miles after dealership service

Hawk296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT PP
I'm a technician (not Ford) When you say you have a rattle don't be surprised if you have a lot of miles on it when you get it back. Its hard to pin point a rattle and we have to drive it a lot to figure out where its coming from and also if we fixed the rattle.
Pretty much this. When I was in high school I worked as a porter for a high end car dealership (lotus, panoz, etc). If any of the cars went on a "joy ride" or driven aggressively it was a dealership owned car whether a demo or a car from the used lot, and typically by a salesman taking it to lunch.

There were many times cars went on extended test drives. To find an intermittent problem, a rattle that had no real description from the customer ect. If it needed to be tested at higher speeds it was almost 5 miles each way to get to a suitable expressway.

There were also several cases where techs took cars home with them, usually something like a cold start issue where it needed to sit out all night and then be diagnosed on first start. Of course the customer was notified ahead of time, but that could easily have meant 40 miles round trip

Heck there was even a track prepped 993 911 that came in for a check engine light in the morning that had to be put on the trailer that evening to go to a track event. The owner made it clear that the problem had to be completely resolved. After a few hours of work I was given the keys and told to take it for a half hour test drive and told it's a race car, drive it like one, make sure nothing goes wrong and bring it back. That doesn't mean abuse it, but it did mean harder acceleration, higher rpms and increased operating temps as much as possible on the street. Everything worked great, car came back for a final inspection and on the trail or it went.

There were also many times we gave a complimentary tank of gas or a car wash after service, didn't mean they were trying to hide anything, just good customer service.

On the other hand, I witnessed at least 3 cars damaged or destroyed by techs or porters who were simply careless or didn't know how to drive. an Audi was severely over revved when the porter downshifted instead of up shifted. But overall those cases were not the norm.
Sponsored

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm a technician (not Ford) When you say you have a rattle don't be surprised if you have a lot of miles on it when you get it back. Its hard to pin point a rattle and we have to drive it a lot to figure out where its coming from and also if we fixed the rattle.

Guy with the 18 min video, They chewed your gum and blew your horn who cares. Wasted 18 min of my life thinking they were doing burn outs or beating the shit out of your car.
Well no shit they have to drive the car lol but 200 miles is a bit excessive. The dealership should've called or told me, prior to taking the car, that they will add all these miles to find the source of the rattle. I Would've told them "never mind, I'll just do it myself". Funny part about all this is they havnt fixed the rattles, "couldn't locate the source" dealerships are a joke. lol

Mike Delo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP European specs
mine took mine for a joyride in the parking lot. audio required.

This is fantastic and could be a great advertising for ford, if I were an advertising executive I'd take this video on Ford official tube...and gave a good discount on a Mustang for it!!
Made my day!

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
he didnt see it. i reviewed the entire visit. he was just the porter. the tech that did my oil change may have, but only once he needed to back the car up.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
This is what they did with my 2012 Mustang
what was it in for. Why did 10 different dudes have to drive your car.

And I am pretty sure that horn is not legal. Just saying.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
what was it in for. Why did 10 different dudes have to drive your car.

And I am pretty sure that horn is not legal. Just saying.
Driver's footwell flooding, trunk flooding, driver's door holding water, rear passenger side weather stripping coming loose, driver's side convertible latch handle rattle, and rear suspension squeak which they actually did fix by replacing the swar bar

Guy with the 18 min video, They chewed your gum and blew your horn who cares. Wasted 18 min of my life thinking they were doing burn outs or beating the shit out of your car.
It's just showing exactly what happens at the service center
It's not meant to be MINDBLOWING

Last edited:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
this is fin halarious

What cams are you all using? I need this before i go in lol ...but really
mine's a mobius dashcam, on a cruisecam headrest mount.

i have a front facing and a rear facing cam, both on magnet mounts.

Sponsored

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
mine's a mobius dashcam, on a cruisecam headrest mount.

i have a front facing and a rear facing cam, both on magnet mounts.
Do you have a picture of your mount ? The ones I'm seeing look way to bulky and obvious.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a picture of your mount ? The ones I'm seeing look way to bulky and obvious.
USB cables are going into the armrest and into a 3 USB auto charger. I have an apple lightning cable for my phone in the 3rd socket.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_62b8.jpg

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Found more pics from before I added the rear facing cam
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5fca.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5fc8.jpg

JohnDoe