Sponsored

Advice on purchasing used Ecoboost

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Hey folks, at this point I think a re-introduction is needed. Back in July of 15 I bought a new ecoboost mustang. I loved the car, had it tuned by unleashed and put a decent amount of miles on it with zero issues the short amount of time I owned it. In November of 2015 I traded it in on an ecoboost F150 (the 2.7 is a stout little engine)

I still have my truck with no intention of getting rid of it, but over the summer I acquired a 2010 Dodge challenger RT. It's a nice car, but not that fun to drive, it's got 107k miles on it, and it's an automatic, which really sucks on those cars.

I found a 2017 grabber blue ecoboost mustang. It is base model, manual transmission. Doesn't have any bells and whistles, it has 9,800 miles on it, it was registered to ford as the first owner, and now it's on a ford dealership lot for sale. I can get the car for $21400. To me that seems reasonable, but I wanted some opinions on pricing. The real kicker is, they're giving me about $1500 more on trade than most other dealerships I've talked to.

Sine I've been out of the game for a while, I've been trying to do some research on these engines to see how they're holding up. If you follow the ecoboost page on facebook, it seems like 5 a week blowing up. I highly doubt it's that bad. But I would like some opinions on that subject as well. I do plan to do some slight modding to the car, oil catch can, downpipe, FMIC, tune.

All insight is appreciated. Ideally l'd like to buy slightly used, and not take a huge hit. I had 12k miles on my last mustang and my trade in value was $7500 under MSRP.
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I had mine for 3 years before trading for my GT. The engine was fine, and I was happy with it overall.

$21400 is on the low end of the range on KBB, especially if it's a CPO. There's a chance you could find a new for that price or close as a leftover 2017 somewhere, but it's still a decent price, and a great color.
Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 8.11.40 PM.png

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
As far as engines blowing and the info on face book . Take that with a grain of salt ..

These engines are well built and have many safe guards written in the programs to adjust timing .
It is when the novice gets to happy moding to gain to much HP thinking these motors are supposed to stay together under extreme stresses they get into trouble ..play it safe and get the Ford performance tune ..
And read the threads ..

OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Thanks for the advice, I agree with you!

I think the 2.3 is a great platform.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 16 with a sept 2015 built Cleveland block, been very reliable I am at 42k right now, ran tunes, methanol and large turbo and so far so good.

Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Cleveland built would be for me!! The motor I would get , and I know there's some that say no difference .

I have thrown everything at this motor even a broken ivt22 plug

I have a 2016 made in August we're the average motor City worker seems to want to come to work. My point is never buy in winter months just a theroy ,but works for me!! I have 5 ford and no issue with my cars..:ford:

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
you can get a used ecboost for sub 20K. Done pay anything more than 19K. my friend fog

OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I'm seeing all kinds of 15's and 16's for under $20k with about 25k-40k miles on them, but I was wanting something a little less used than that.

Sponsored
OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
That's a good deal, my biggest variable is the trade in value of my challenger. I'm being offered anywhere from $9500-$12500 for it. This dealership is offering me the most. which weighs in on my decision as well. The good news is, I should have a decent amount of equity in the car when I buy one.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I got my 16 base auto New for $20,900.
As said before I would NOT go above 19-20k for a used one, and that to me is still absurdly high.

I got my 2017 Performance Pack EB 6MT for 21k brand new. Granted this took some searching, and was from a dealer in the middle of nowhere, that had a primary sales of trucks in the country, they can still be found!

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
As said before I would NOT go above 19-20k for a used one, and that to me is still absurdly high.

I got my 2017 Performance Pack EB 6MT for 21k brand new. Granted this took some searching, and was from a dealer in the middle of nowhere, that had a primary sales of trucks in the country, they can still be found!
I'd add a grand onto that for a PP car. Those are hard to come by ;) You can tell a Performance Pack car a mile away by the (stock) black wheels...I'd also pay another grand for Recaros :thumbsup:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Well, on the plus side for those trying to buy used cars, Ford has added so much to the 2018's that 2015-2017 values should drop like a rock...

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
I got mine for $18k. It was a lease return 15 Mustang Eco with Premium Package (no PP) with the 20in wheels and summer tires. It had 23k miles.

It also has the auto transmission and many bells and whistles. I would definitively not pay more than that for a similar one and since it also needed new tires I think I got a decent deal, not great but good enough for me.
Sponsored