Sponsored

2018 Dyno discussion

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I think they would be more in line if they were just redone at another shop. This week.
Dyno testing at another shop wouldn't prove or disprove anything. A dyno test only shows how a particular vehicle did on a particular day, on that particular dyno. If you test the same vehicle on a different dyno, then comparing those results is less informative than comparing two of the same vehicles on the same dyno.

For example, if you took a bone stock 2018 GT and tested it on Dyno A and tested the same vehicle on Dyno B, then comparing the results is less useful than using Dyno A to compare a red 2018 GT to a blue 2018 GT.
Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Honestly I'm tired of stock dyno's, results are good but now let's see some tuned dyno's numbers. I especially can't wait to see a dyno actually hit the 7400 rpm limiter vs the 6800 due to the speed limiter. Hell let's see a few stock cars with the speed limiter turned off so we cN see true hp numbers. Could be another 5 to 10 hp hiding in that last 600 rpm.
Yes ! Ok with the stock stuff. Its making yada yada yada power. Lets see some tuned, and mods. Need to see how it responds and lets get some runs in !

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Dyno testing at another shop wouldn't prove or disprove anything. A dyno test only shows how a particular vehicle did on a particular day, on that particular dyno. If you test the same vehicle on a different dyno, then comparing those results is less informative than comparing two of the same vehicles on the same dyno.

For example, if you took a bone stock 2018 GT and tested it on Dyno A and tested the same vehicle on Dyno B, then comparing the results is less useful than using Dyno A to compare a red 2018 GT to a blue 2018 GT.
It would prove someone could probably use a calculator a little better. 17% drive train loss is 1970 math. That's the point you missed. look into a few of the other dyno threads to get up to speed. What I'm trying to convey is the guy that thought he was making 500hp was given bad info.

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm still waiting for a same day same time same dyno test for a stock 2015-2017 5.0 vs a 2018 5.0
Unless they have similar miles it may not be very exact either. Most 18's aren't broken in yet.

bunk22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
On a different car than I have now (my old 2003 Cobra), I've used the exact same type of dynojet, one in Virgina, one in California and using the SAE correction, the lines on the graph were practically identical. Using the same formula is my guess. Matter of fact, a third dynojet in SoCal put out almost exactly the same results from the Cobra. Why there is that correction I suppose. But this is all dyno racing, whose dyno is faster?

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
A 35 HP bump is not gonna give you a 7 MPH increase in the 1\4 mile. I ran the numbers for a 4000lb car to go 112 mph and 119 mph on several different calculators. The most modest one calculated 436 hp for 112 mph and 491 hp for 119 mph. Math doesn't lie. When I run the 1\4 mile my et can vary a half second do to traction\launch but my mph will stay with in 1 mph range through out all the runs. Mph is the best way to measure hp. And yes weather affects your mph because you will make less or more hp because of it.

Last edited:

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
This whole argument falls apart when you try and apply the above logic to the peak torque figures.

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
A 35 HP bump is not gonna give you a 7 MPH increase in the 1\4 mile. I ran the numbers for a 4000lb car to go 112 mph and 119 mph on several different calculators. The most modest one calculated 436 hp for 112 mph and 491 hp for 119 mph. Math doesn't lie. When I run the 1\4 mile my et can vary a half second do to traction\launch but my mph will stay with in 1 mph range through out all the runs. Mph is the best way to measure hp. And yes weather affects your mph because you will make less or more hp because of it.
Most of the hp calculators assume a normal shaped hp graph. The GEN III Coyote has an unusually flat and long hp curve at the top end, resulting in more hp area under the curve compared to other engines making the same peak rwhp.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've been arguing with people on youtube who think the '18 is over 500 hp lmao. Man its like arguing with a brick wall, there all teaming up against me :lol:

Their argument is the gt350 traps a lower speed but has 526 HP. SO the '18 must have to be close to those specs lmao :doh:

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I've been arguing with people on youtube who think the '18 is over 500 hp lmao. Man its like arguing with a brick wall, there all teaming up against me :lol:

Their argument is the gt350 traps a lower speed but has 526 HP. SO the '18 must have to be close to those specs lmao :doh:
So their argument is that Ford was truthful on the GT350 numbers but lied on the gt numbers? Lol

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Because the 10 speed keeping the car in peak power band for the entire time coupled with the gen 3s flat power band at the top of the rpm curve could not have any effect on trap speed. Lol

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I thought we already covered trap speed?...:frusty:

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So their argument is that Ford was truthful on the GT350 numbers but lied on the gt numbers? Lol
Yup :lol:

They're saying that they need to protect the image of the GT350 so they're lying on the numbers of the GT.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The car is accelerated by the HP that the engine is making at that particular moment in time. If your transmission shifts quickly and keeps the engine near peak HP for more time, the car will be quicker through the quarter mile.

The 1/4 mile calculator you used isn't sophisticated enough to plug in tire diameter and all the gear ratios in the transmission, I assume. Just putting in peak HP doesn't give it enough information.

Obviously this is why the GT350 is relatively slow in the 1/4 mile. The gearing is set up for road course work. This means the engine is working at RPMs that aren't near peak HP for a lot of the time. Especially true at launch.
Sponsored