Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Wider than 255?

I'd like to run 255/45/18's and save money for power adders or more suspension goodies but are 255's wide enough for track/road performance in a sticky tire? Sure the wider 10" wheels and tires look better but tell me about performance.
tn_20171031_074535.jpg

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'd like to run 255/45/18's and save money for power adders or more suspension goodies but are 255's wide enough for track/road performance in a sticky tire? Sure the wider 10" wheels and tires look better but tell me about performance.
I think the answer to your question is simple, the bigger and stickier the tire the better. Any size tire will be fun at a track day, but the smaller your tire the slower you will be. I did my first track day on bone stock all seasons, and still had a great weekend.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Short answer is yes. ;) Wider and stickier are better but they won't make you a better drover. Learn to get all the tires will give you, then you can add size and compound.

Peter

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I'm still trying to understand what the staggered set up Ford did with my 2015 GT/PP and what it does other than make rotating tires impossible :) Then again, I am also looking for an affordable daily driver tire that performs well and sits nicely on a set of 6GR wheels. I'm really partial to the Firehawk Indy 500's I have on now from a daily driver, price, and performance point of view. They just don't have a larger selection of 19" tires and I'm pretty ignorant of what size changes do to the RPM / Speedo reporting.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I'm still trying to understand what the staggered set up Ford did with my 2015 GT/PP and what it does other than make rotating tires impossible :) Then again, I am also looking for an affordable daily driver tire that performs well and sits nicely on a set of 6GR wheels. I'm really partial to the Firehawk Indy 500's I have on now from a daily driver, price, and performance point of view. They just don't have a larger selection of 19" tires and I'm pretty ignorant of what size changes do to the RPM / Speedo reporting.
We run a 285-35-19 square and the error is not even noticeable. Ability to turn in and rotate tires...very noticeable.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm still trying to understand what the staggered set up Ford did with my 2015 GT/PP and what it does other than make rotating tires impossible :)
Caters to the appearance preferences of people more interested in engine power and rowdy street behavior than in things like crisp turn-in response and precise steering at autocross, on the big tracks, or through the canyons..

Adds a little limit understeer, which might make life a little easier for the AdvanceTrac.

I'm pretty ignorant of what size changes do to the RPM / Speedo reporting.
RPMs are still reported correctly regardless of tire size. It's the speedometer & odometer that pick up a little error, though with shorter than OE drive tires the error tends to give you a little extra 'cushion' against having to sit through some unplanned roadside interview.

If you change the relationship between front and rear tire diameters (revs per mile) too much, ABS behavior can be adversely affected. But squaring up from PP sizes shouldn't be a problem (if anything, ABS would be a tiny bit more likely to be keeping the rear tires from locking).

Norm

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Norm - thank you. That was informative. I am not looking for anything out of the ordinary but would like a nice balanced squared setup. I plan on taking the car out to at least one or two track sessions next summer and hoping to find a size I can grow into yet allows a reasonable price for daily driving. I'm pretty sure the stock GT/PP with Firehawks I currently have exceed my skill level but having a rotatable option may extend the life a bit more. A little more contact wouldn't hurt or look bad either.

Thank you all again.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Road Atlanta

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 Ford Mustang GT/PP
Track/Course: Road Atlanta
Best Lap Time: 1:37.42
Virtual Best Lap Time: 1:37.30
Brake Pads: XP20f XP12r
Tires (Size & Model): Very tired Pirelli slicks 305/680/18 square
Suspension: RideTech Coilovers
Other Mods:GT350r wing, 3" Front Splitter, Headers and custom exhaust

Improved a little over my last time but on a fresh set of Pirelli slicks and with better track conditions there is a 1:35.xx in the car. The track was treacherous both Sat and Sun, very green, cold weather, and even with tires up to temp and late into each session turn 7 was nothing more than a coast to track out, any attempt to get back on the power would lead to a loss of traction event. After spinning once at turn 7 I backed it down a lot in that corner the rest of the weekend. Had a few issues with the GoPro, but got some video just not all of the sessions. Could not get the GoPro to trigger at all on Saturday, Sunday it worked fine.

Dave

[ame]
IMG_4754.jpg

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=20846]ddozier[/MENTION] - nice video. That Dodge just ran amuck it looks like - so much downforce I'd wager among other things. You did an amazing job with the 2015 GT/PP and drove it well. I'm not sure how you use the car but did have a question about that long straight away there and the stock engine? I didn't hear the rev limiter so maybe not an issue but have you thought about adding the power pack 3 to increase the RPM range a bit and higher power band? Or do you think you will get more out of the tires and conditions like you said?

Fun to watch especially has a 2015 GT/PP owner albeit stock all things being equal.

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
[MENTION=20846]ddozier[/MENTION] - nice video. That Dodge just ran amuck it looks like - so much downforce I'd wager among other things. You did an amazing job with the 2015 GT/PP and drove it well. I'm not sure how you use the car but did have a question about that long straight away there and the stock engine? I didn't hear the rev limiter so maybe not an issue but have you thought about adding the power pack 3 to increase the RPM range a bit and higher power band? Or do you think you will get more out of the tires and conditions like you said?

Fun to watch especially has a 2015 GT/PP owner albeit stock all things being equal.
I have a GT350 Intake Manifold and am tuned for 7900rpm, I have to restrain myself every time I take the car to the track because it is For Sale and I am trying to be nice to the engine and keep it out of the 7000+ rpms. Should the new owner decide to run it up there it is ready but for now I only use the extended rpm range to avoid a shift between corners.

The Viper was very fast and well driven, it was funny because after that session the driver came over to my pit area and said "For a Mustang that car was well driven, most Mustangs are not" I was sort of shocked by his statement then I realized it was certainly meant as a compliment as he would not have taken his time to come find me if he did not see something he liked. It is funny to me that most track guys do not realize what Ford has done with the S550 and summarily dismiss them as a slow platform. Even at stock power levels with minimal bolt ons these cars are quick. They just need another 75-100whp to deal with the straights. There was a trio of Camaro ZL1/1LE cars in my run group, all of them on R7s and none of them could muster a pass, even on the long back straight.

Good Time to be a Mustang owner.

Dave

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have a GT350 Intake Manifold and am tuned for 7900rpm, I have to restrain myself every time I take the car to the track because it is For Sale and I am trying to be nice to the engine and keep it out of the 7000+ rpms. Should the new owner decide to run it up there it is ready but for now I only use the extended rpm range to avoid a shift between corners.

The Viper was very fast and well driven, it was funny because after that session the driver came over to my pit area and said "For a Mustang that car was well driven, most Mustangs are not" I was sort of shocked by his statement then I realized it was certainly meant as a compliment as he would not have taken his time to come find me if he did not see something he liked. It is funny to me that most track guys do not realize what Ford has done with the S550 and summarily dismiss them as a slow platform. Even at stock power levels with minimal bolt ons these cars are quick. They just need another 75-100whp to deal with the straights. There was a trio of Camaro ZL1/1LE cars in my run group, all of them on R7s and none of them could muster a pass, even on the long back straight.

Dave
Few questions. What wheel dimensions? I'm using same slicks on 18x10s. What are you selling it for?

I've received that same comment each time I've been on track this year. "You were flying, usually don't have to let mustangs by me." Car is great just needs fortified a bit and can rip some serious times, and is a blast to drive.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Few questions. What wheel dimensions? I'm using same slicks on 18x10s. What are you selling it for?

I've received that same comment each time I've been on track this year. "You were flying, usually don't have to let mustangs by me." Car is great just needs fortified a bit and can rip some serious times, and is a blast to drive.
I run 18 x 10 Apex wheels square with 305/680/18.

This car was our test build to find out what needed to be addressed to make the car fast, safe, and reliable. All the info about the car and the others being built are on our website www.trackcarbuilds.com

I should have two (Silver and Black) more identical builds ready for sale by January unless someone wants to buy one and make a lot of changes prior to them being ready.

Dave

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic 5.0 PP Recaros
2015 mustang gt base PP
Wildhorse Pass Main Track Fast layout
1:10:712
PowerStop z26 padds front and rear
PP wheels with 25mm spacers, Hankook ventus v12 evo2 255/40/19 front 275/40/19 rear
eibach sportline lowering springs
borla cat back exhaust
everything else stock

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dave
Thanks. To sort of put it into perspective did you drive the car at all on the track before it became your test mule? I mean I'm judging by the video, job, and what not you are clearly an advanced driver so just wondering what you thought of the base GT/PP. I am guessing you already had a benchmark so to speak but figured I'd ask. More out of curiosity.

Pretty slick again and thanks for sharing. I enjoy watching you guys/gals running the cars on the track. I need to make an effort to find a beginner track session in '18 just to watch or even run a session.
Sponsored