Sponsored

Oil consumption got worse. Not sure what to do. Should I sell the car?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Leak down test is not something I want to go through. My concern now is if oil consumption goes back to normal now that catch can is removed, should I just live happily ever after OR the significant oil usage those 1800 miles it was installed on did damage to plugs/coils/cats or anything else? Leak down will only show me if there is leak. Lets assume there isnt. I am simply asking to check the plugs not to check for leaks but to see if they are screwed because they were soaked in oil. Does that make sense?

If there is a leak and oil consumption does not get back to normal, its sayanora. I already made an appointment for a GT3 test drive. They agreed to take the car for 50-52 in trade in principal. This is my backup.

All day today, I have realized how much I love this car. It has so much sentimental value for me. I ll never forget my wife spending 4 hours with me scratching the crap out of herself under the car installing MGW shifter with me as my birthday present or helping me with the borla exhaust and stock exhausr falling on her head and she yelling at me:). A lot of memories:(
probably one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. If oil consumption returns to normal, and there is no CEL. Then it's good enough.

But if you want to pull a spark plug, there is this:

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=8886
2016 Mustang and GT350 Service Manuals Now Available
The 2016 Mustang Service Information CD-ROM is now available for $177.

Or this:

http://repair.chiltondiy.com/Ford/Repair-Manual-Online
Chilton
2015 Ford Mustang Online Manual
Engine 2.3, 3.7, 5.0

Although reading might be boring. In which case, just collect the usual supplies of spark plug stuff ~ ratchet, spark plug socket, torque wrench, wire brush, spark plug oil / grease, etc.
Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
No need to remove any plugs. If there were any issues with plug fouling you'd get a cel. And even lacking that, you would be experiencing engine missing at idle. Take it out and run it up to redline once and your plugs will be nice and clean.

I'd be more concerned with the two color oil you mentioned. I've already mentioned it, change the oil and send out a sample for oil analysis. This will answer a lot of questions.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No need to remove any plugs. If there were any issues with plug fouling you'd get a cel. And even lacking that, you would be experiencing engine missing at idle. Take it out and run it up to redline once and your plugs will be nice and clean.

I'd be more concerned with the two color oil you mentioned. I've already mentioned it, change the oil and send out a sample for oil analysis. This will answer a lot of questions.
Thanks I will.

That being said, I just got home and rechecked the oil (car is cold, level, in garage, never started the engine) and unfortunately I had to add 1 qt of oil:( Unfortunately thats 189 miles before last oil fill up.

I will change the oil on Wednesday, send the sample to blackstone, and drive the car for another 500 miles. If by miracle things go back to normal, I'll celebrate but I doubt it. I think the car is going to have to go and this sour experience will never go away. This was my first american car purchase and I was really happy all along, but the disappointment of losing something so precious especially given the sentimental value of it more so than just losing a sports car, I'll just never forget it and probably stay angry at Ford until the universe ends:mad:

The reality is, they have this amazing idea with the FPC, they put the time and effort and R&D and everything, get the corporate buy in, but the execution is absolutely disaster. Building such a high revving exotic engine in the flat rock assembly without the right set of tools to ensure quality control is a recipe for disaster.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would really like to see a video of your revs on how you normally drive this car... 8000 rpms visits on every stop light will cause oil consumption. By design.

I also had to add 1/2 quart to after a track day and 2000 miles, but I change around 7000, never go over that. Got my shift light set to 7000.

So my previous oil change was mainly city driven, barely ever over 5000 rpms (nowhere to go on our potholes) and I wasn't missing any oil, it was at the top when I dropped it. That was about 3000 easy miles.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If you sell the car, you’ll have a duty to disclose a major problem like this. It’s also a moral duty.

If I was hell bent on selling, I’d give Ford the opportunity to fix it before selling.

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would really like to see a video of your revs on how you normally drive this car... 8000 rpms visits on every stop light will cause oil consumption. By design.

I also had to add 1/2 quart to after a track day and 2000 miles, but I change around 7000, never go over that. Got my shift light set to 7000.

So my previous oil change was mainly city driven, barely ever over 5000 rpms (nowhere to go on our potholes) and I wasn't missing any oil, it was at the top when I dropped it. That was about 3000 easy miles.
During these 189 miles, I have done several (probably about a dozen) redline pulls. Redline meaning 8250 rpm. Not 8000. My shift point is set to 8000 so when it beeps I wait a second or so and shift.

I do lots of engine braking by lots I mean usually 4000 rpm. I dont coast at 6000 rpm.

Majority of my driving is on the power band, thats 4000-6000 rpm (while i m on throttle).

And I disagree with you, a car should not burn oil like this. I know people who goes through an entire track day with an M3 or a GT3 who dont lose a teaspoon of oil. I always drive like this in every car I have owned and this is the only one I am having this issue with.

If I did track the car, as in bounce it off the rev limiter, it probably wouldnt make it through the track day without going through 3-4 quarts of oil. Can you imagine driving this car on nurburgring where you have several seconds of straights where the car stays on 6000 rpm for about a mile? What would happen if I drove my car there?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Avg MPG would be interesting. Below 10, or above 16 ?

disclaimer: speculating

Maybe the piston rings got fouled, and would respond to a treatment.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/233
Why Does My Engine Use Oil

"... Sometimes, stuck piston rings can be freed with a professional chemical treatment. This is a professionally administered combination of cleaners and solvents added to the engine oil, combustion chamber and through the intake. Over the counter oil additives will not work and may cause harm. Even with a professional treatment, if rings are worn, broken or severely stuck, the chemical treatment will not help.
oil_consumption_piston_rings b.jpg

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My mpg (whats on the monitor) is never below 14, even with my insanely aggressive (<sarcasm>) driving. If I do a lot of highway driving, its usually 15.4-15.8, but never 16.

That being said, if I drive on the 6th gear all the time and shift gears at 1800 rpm like my dad does (he really does), I get over 21 mpg and I'm sure the car will not use anywhere near this much oil

BUT

Thats useless, because I will never drive like that. My baseline is other performance cars. A Z06, a GT3, an M3, an M5, none of these cars go through this much oil. Some oil usage is fine, maybe a quart every 5000-6000 miles of spirited driving - and you know what being 60k and made in the same assembly line as ecoboost mustang, I'd even be willing to accept 1 qt per 1000 miles as much as unacceptable that is, but less than 200 miles is just not normal. Blame my driving all you want. There are people here who said early on they go on for 9000 miles without adding a drop of oil.

Sponsored

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
My mpg (whats on the monitor) is never below 14, even with my insanely aggressive (<sarcasm>) driving. If I do a lot of highway driving, its usually 15.4-15.8, but never 16.

That being said, if I drive on the 6th gear all the time and shift gears at 1800 rpm like my dad does (he really does), I get over 21 mpg and I'm sure the car will not use anywhere near this much oil

BUT

Thats useless, because I will never drive like that. My baseline is other performance cars. A Z06, a GT3, an M3, an M5, none of these cars go through this much oil. Some oil usage is fine, maybe a quart every 5000-6000 miles of spirited driving - and you know what being 60k and made in the same assembly line as ecoboost mustang, I'd even be willing to accept 1 qt per 1000 miles as much as unacceptable that is, but less than 200 miles is just not normal. Blame my driving all you want. There are people here who said early on they go on for 9000 miles without adding a drop of oil.

I do understand your frustration, but don't baseline one type of engine with another type. I mean if it goes through a lot more oil than other voodoos than you got a problem, thats if the conditions are all equal.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I do understand your frustration, but don't baseline one type of engine with another type. I mean if it goes through a lot more oil than other voodoos than you got a problem, thats if the conditions are all equal.
When I get the blackstone report back, I will post the report here and that'll be the end of it
Sponsored