Sponsored

Rats

Maelstrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 V6
Not sure if this is in the right place of not, but it's definitely an issue.

I'm a commercial driver, so my car sits in the yard for long periods of time. I've only had her for about a month. Yesterday, my first day back from 17 days of work, I decided to pop the hood and a rats nest was sitting on top of my motor. Luckily, no wires where damaged, but the the foam over the fuel rail had been chewed on and the little jerk brought some additional bedding to add to it's nest. How can I keep these pest out from under my hood? I have heard of people using moth balls, but does this work?

I have had to use great restraint to not to use the words I wanted to use in this post.

Thanks
Sponsored

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If you have an outlet in your garage, set up a sound repellent device, a couple traps, and park over a bucket full moth balls. I heard you can also leave the hood open to avoid the dark and warm environment that rodents seek to build nests.

OP
OP
Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 V6
Unfortunately it doesn't sit in a garage. I have to leave it at the yard where I pick up my trucks. It is surrounded by fields on the south west side of San Antonio.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So do everything besides the sound repellent

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Unfortunately it doesn't sit in a garage. I have to leave it at the yard where I pick up my trucks. It is surrounded by fields on the south west side of San Antonio.
Can you leave it at home and take a cab to the yard?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 V6
I'm one of those people who are homeless by choice. When I realized I really like my new job, I got rid of most of what I own ( house, bike, furniture, etc). I originally planned on trading my 2014 Tundra in and getting a beater, but then I saw the Mustang on the lot. I then screwed up, opened the door, sat down and decided to take it for a test drive...

There's really not a good place for me to leave it other than the yard

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Put rat poison under the hood

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
try hanging a dead mouse from your bumper, they might get the hint and back off.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Put rat poison under the hood
This is exactly what I was going to say... kill them all.

If I was in the OP's situation, I'd get a garage nearby I can park the car in (if possible). But... other than these witchcraft solutions, not much you can do.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I park outside too and live in the mountains i have a rodent problem too. I've been using peppermint oil on the wheel wells and it seemed to have worked so far.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Get an outdoor cat! Or a pet snake!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the car will be sitting at periods of time in the open yard, I would sprinkle the rat poison around the perimeter of the vehicle.

Cayenne pepper works too, not just for rats but other pests.

There are some ultrasonic devices that can be installed under the hood too:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/P3-P7825...80854&wl11=online&wl12=25365500&wl13=&veh=sem

Here is a really good read too for those that need more info or ideas for outdoor pests interfering with your beloved rides:
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Mice-in-Your-Motor

Mvalenti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Competition Orange
Wow, who would think a rat would fit in the engine bay? what size? 396, 427, or 454? Sorry couldn't resist....

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Drape some clothes softener drier sheets on the engine, if you can remember to remove them when you are getting it out of storage. I have a RV that sits for quite awhile. I put sheets on the engine, air intake, and cabin air ducts. No critters living there or eating insulation.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Coincidentally, I was watching rat trap videos before this and I just remembered a trap that would be perfect for your situation.
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]6SIlYiiCGLI[/MEDIA]"]Rat Trap[/ame] (don't ask why, but these videos are interesting and pass time LOL)

You should honestly do that, inexpensive and works, along with everything else was recommended and I don't think you'll have problems!
Sponsored