Sponsored

big sleep / what if

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
I am truly enjoying loving my gt 350.i don't know what the future holds for high revving v8 rear drive manual trany that is affordable and badass in everyway. So what happens if I buy another new gt 350 and put it to sleep for 7 -10 years maybe more?. Can you store a new car that long what happens to tires seals , engine everything do you put it in one of those bags and zip it up. Or is it just a bad idea save the money and see what the future holds?
Sponsored

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No way I would buy a GT350 and put it away for an investment.

If you have 65K cash lying around to buy a 2nd GT350 then you should have some thoughts about investing your money in real asset classes like Real Estate/Stock Market.

Have you seen what the stock market has been doing?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
No way I would buy a GT350 and put it away for an investment.

If you have 65K cash lying around to buy a 2nd GT350 then you should have some thoughts about investing your money in real asset classes like Real Estate/Stock Market.

Have you seen what the stock market has been doing?
Bitcoin! I made 18K over the last 2yrs.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I see this question as more of a preservation issue rather than an investment issue. I could see wanting to unwrap and drive a new GT350 10 years from now. Especially if the electric car boondoggle continues. It might be hard to find fuel.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
GT350 isn’t rare enough. Maybe the R, but I doubt it will appreciate as much as you think.

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Looking only at the question of how to do the long term storage, I'd do the following:

1) Make sure the storage space is dry, free of rodents, and warm - at least 55 degrees all winter to avoid any condensation-based corrosion during the spring months.

2) Get some desiccant for the interior and trunk.

3) Wax the paint and treat all of the rubber - plan on re-application of the rubber treatment on a fairly regularly basis... maybe annually.

4) Get a car-jacket, one of those bags that completely enclose the car and use a good quality car cover before zipping it up tight.

5) Install a battery tender and leave it connected.

6) Consider pulling it out during warm weather and giving it a small amount of exercise - maybe a half hour, twice a summer, then pack it all away again.

7) Fuel preservation will be an issue - the ethanol-laced stuff in our area will want to break down quickly. Consider locating some lead-free race fuel or, at a minimum, make a run to Wisconsin for some of their good ol' premium that is ethanol free. Even so, add some form of stabilizer to the fuel and make sure to top it off each time you exercise it in the nice months.

8) Tires - consider putting some really hard tires on it - i.e., cheap ones that won't flat spot as quickly - and storing the original ones on a rack or on their side - again, somewhere warm and out of the way of harmful UV rays.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Looking only at the question of how to do the long term storage, I'd do the following:

1) Make sure the storage space is dry, free of rodents, and warm - at least 55 degrees all winter to avoid any condensation-based corrosion during the spring months.

2) Get some desiccant for the interior and trunk.

3) Wax the paint and treat all of the rubber - plan on re-application of the rubber treatment on a fairly regularly basis... maybe annually.

4) Get a car-jacket, one of those bags that completely enclose the car and use a good quality car cover before zipping it up tight.

5) Install a battery tender and leave it connected.

6) Consider pulling it out during warm weather and giving it a small amount of exercise - maybe a half hour, twice a summer, then pack it all away again.

7) Fuel preservation will be an issue - the ethanol-laced stuff in our area will want to break down quickly. Consider locating some lead-free race fuel or, at a minimum, make a run to Wisconsin for some of their good ol' premium that is ethanol free. Even so, add some form of stabilizer to the fuel and make sure to top it off each time you exercise it in the nice months.

8) Tires - consider putting some really hard tires on it - i.e., cheap ones that won't flat spot as quickly - and storing the original ones on a rack or on their side - again, somewhere warm and out of the way of harmful UV rays.
Whats the octane of that Wisconsin Premium?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Rubber will dry-rot almost regardless of what you do. To preserve tires, dismount them and vacuum-bag them in heavy plastic. Sacrificial storage wheels/tires as recommended above are not a bad idea. Another concern you'll have is the hygroscopic brake fluid; you'll want to flush out that system every few years. Coolant should be okay as it has anti-corrosives in it, but I'd pH test it every year or two also.

The main issue that is hard to defend against is dry rot of rubber in fuel lines, brake lines, suspension bushings (to the extent there is rubber in these cars), and coolant hoses. No real way around that other than to budget to replace all that stuff in 10 years. The best way to reduce dry rot is to make sure no ozone is present - no electric motors running in the storage space.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Boondoggle because electric cars have been forced on us by the government due to political corruption. Much the same was as diesels have been pushed on Europe. Diesel technology is a much better fit in the US and electric fits the EU better. Yet the technology is reversed. If electric cars were practical, the market would dictate their advance. Tesla would have been out of business years ago if it were not for massive infusions of federal cash. And yes I think it would be cool to unwrap a new GT350 10 or more years from now. Even if extra low octane is the norm if even available.

Sponsored

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
I saw a guy put a GTO up for sale on Ebay, one he bought and thought would go up in value. Ten years later he sold it for 10k less than he paid for it.

OP
OP

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
for those of you who understood my questions about storing the vehicle thank you. To the others I fully understand the value of money. It would be hard pressed to find any cars that truly appreciate in value when you factor in inflation the cost to store and maintain a vehicle and finally putting that money tied up in a car or cars to work for you. Still if properly invested and you have the where worth all you can still can expect a properly invested portfolio doubling every 7 to 8 years let alone the miracle of compound interest. I have cars for their enjoyment they have been a big part of life since my uncle let me drive at the age of 13 his 427 impala SS convertible canary yellow nothing like the sound of a big blocks secondary's opening up to hook you for life.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Engine internals don't survive a 10 year sit. Rings and other steel components will rust in time... I have seen a Porsche stored by the owner for about 6 years started.. Tons of blue smoke, compression lost on 2 out of 6 cylinders....

Not a good idea, unless you start it up every few months or so.

hell, I am even concerned the 3 months or so I keep my car stored for the winter ...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it would be better to run the car and then rebuild whatever needs to be rebuilt in 7-10 years. Have your fun with it now in order to hedge your bets and lower the risk that something will go wrong with the plan of keeping the car so long. Definitely take care of the car, do all the maintenance, etc. but don't shelve it and completely leave it alone. I have two Fords that are 14 and 18 years old, both with over 230,000 miles on them. Both work fine, don't burn or drip oil, etc. Who knows, you might not even have to do very much work at the end of 7-10 years. It might still be running fine. I sure hope mine will be.

So far I'm putting a little over 10,000 miles per year on my car. I've owned it 2 years. In another 5 years (total of 7) I expect to have 70-80,000 miles on it. IMO that is nothing for a modern car. Even 100-120,000 miles I expect the car to be fine.

G3NGO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'd say it would be easier just to drive it sparingly, like once or twice per month. Yes it will get some wear and tear, but it will be competing with other cars for sale with wear and tear too.

Since the OP already has one car, I think it's a better move to buy a good used one in a few years when the prices have bottomed out.

Then phase 3... profit. (South Park reference)
Sponsored