2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I thought the explorer was rumored to be on the D6 platform. How would the mustang and explorer share a common platform?
I was just working off amk91's info: D6R could share many modules with D6 to amortize except that it'll be RWD. If we look at the trend in sales of the pony cars it makes economic sense to share as much as they can with other vehicles.

There are plenty of examples where sedans share platforms with SUVs, and sedan platforms have also been used to make coupes. It's why i also said the Mustang's proportions (of a long hood) could be lost with S650.

If such versatility will exist this will only be a good thing for the Ford range in general. They could have RWD sedans and 4 door coupes off this platform.
Sponsored

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
She's gonna be heavy but hopefully the power makes up for it

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
No one I know has heard of D6R

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
The Explorer is no longer a true SUV. It is by all means a Short wheel based station wagon that has a very stiff Chassis considering it's weight.

By the time the new platform comes out, it may well be just as low to the ground as the S550 is now and much stiffer.

Look at how the Holden Zeta platform evolved into the Alpha Platform for GM. This could be a good thing. :shrug:
True the Explorer is much more technically crossover/wagon. But Zeta and Alpha were at least designed with RWD first in mind.

Zeta and Alpha were both dedicated RWD architectures with AWD options.

D6 is Transverse FWD vs the Mustang's Longitudinal RWD setup. That's basic architecture, which unless fully modular, can't really be changed due to relationships of hard points like firewall positioning.
This ^ I mean if Ford had a chassis like Alpha that could underpin coupes and sedans I would be all for it. I don't want Mustang sharing a chassis with an Explorer

I will take your word for it!

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
The only benefit in Mustang not sharing it's platform is it will retain it's proportions. I can live with that... they'll need the extra space to fit the longer 7 litre.

Sponsored

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
D6R refers to rear wheel drive application. The D6 being modular, might be able to accommodate the Explorer.

Will this new Mustang be a revolution, as apparently Dave Pericak said back in 2013? He said the S550 was all-new and not just a heavy revision with different tophat and IRS. However, I have believed it is a heavily remade D2C from the S197 named "D5".

Also that the S550 was supposedly intended to be a bit smaller on an all-new platform, but maintained larger dimensions when some aspects of the S197 were going to be retained by mid-stage.

The S550 has been quietly referred to as a heavily redone S197 with IRS and new components, yet the closely named S650 will not be and be clean-sheet.

True the Explorer is much more technically crossover/wagon. But Zeta and Alpha were at least designed with RWD first in mind.

This ^ I mean if Ford had a chassis like Alpha that could underpin coupes and sedans I would be all for it. I don't want Mustang sharing a chassis with an Explorer

I will take your word for it!
The name is D6, but R might've been added on to designate rear wheel drive.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I just found out, that SOP for the S650 has been pushed back to December 1, 2020, so it looks like it will be a 2021.5 model in February 2021. Makes sense, seeing as how the 2018 refresh will barely be out in December. Can anyone confirm this though, as I believe it's accurate info?

Really looking forward to hearing any whispers from Dearborn and Cologne about the ongoing design process. The new Mustang will be on an all-new platform called "D6R", so I am really curious what it will bring.

The S550 was an excellent stepping stone, but the S650 will complete the transformation of the Mustang nameplate into a world-class 21st century pony car.
This is correct.

D6R will be a new global platform to be used/modified to underpin the S650 and next-gen Explorer, Lincoln MKZ, etc. 12/2020 is the currently scheduled SOP target I am aware of, which was established last year. To my knowledge it was not pushed back. Of course, it is still very early and many things can change.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is correct.

D6R will be a new global platform to be used/modified to underpin the S650 and next-gen Explorer, Lincoln MKZ, etc. 12/2020 is the currently scheduled SOP target I am aware of, which was established last year. To my knowledge it was not pushed back. Of course, it is still very early and many things can change.
I remember DEW98 and DEW98 lite mule which was just a couple inches cut out of the DEW98 chassis about centered over the rear passenger and then all welded back up. 1999? ..interesting drive.
We still ended up with D2C in addition to DEW98.

There was expense in going down the DEW98 lite rabbit hole and popping out at D2C, but hopefully that was knowledge gained.
The Lincoln LS was such a promising effort.

Platform engineering is so incredible. Does Ford now have a platform engineering historian to document all the knowledge gained?
A behind the scenes history of all the platforms would be so incredibly interesting: Fox, SN95, S197, S550, D2C,,... to D6/D6R, S650.

S650
front wheels further forward?
maybe enough room for 'other' front suspension geometries?

How will S650 fit into capturing customers in the entry level?
Or more of a level up from there?

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
This is correct.

Thank you for supporting that Jarstang, I wouldn't really make up information of that nature. The S650 SOP was once May 2020, so the tentative 12/2020 SOP period highlights a slight delay.

Similarly the S550 II or 1/2, was pushed back to mid-late Q4 2017 launch, 10/2 SOP from June 2017 SOP stated in late 2016/Q1 2017.

Styling work will likely be done in a few months, probably now down to 2-3 final proposals. The first mules might be seen next summer, with actual prototype builds spotted in 2019.

I remember DEW98 and DEW98 lite mule which was just a couple inches cut out of the DEW98 chassis about centered over the rear passenger and then all welded back up. 1999? ..interesting drive.
We still ended up with D2C in addition to DEW98.

There was expense in going down the DEW98 lite rabbit hole and popping out at D2C, but hopefully that was knowledge gained.
The Lincoln LS was such a promising effort.

Platform engineering is so incredible. Does Ford now have a platform engineering historian to document all the knowledge gained?
A behind the scenes history of all the platforms would be so incredibly interesting: Fox, SN95, S197, S550, D2C,,... to D6/D6R, S650.

S650
front wheels further forward?
maybe enough room for 'other' front suspension geometries?

How will S650 fit into capturing customers in the entry level?
Or more of a level up from there?

Don't forget the overbudget MN12, which cost some personnel their jobs back in early 1989, just weeks after launch on December 26, 1988 for the 1989 Thunderbird/Cougar.

Before the Fox-4 SN-95, there were plans for an MN12-based Mustang circa 1989. It was thrown out by the end of 1990 as an option, just like DEW98 circa 2001-02 for D2C.

I would also like to hear from someone who knows more than we would regarding Ford platform engineering through the past 45 years.

If Ford made a this new RWD platform to work with a sedan too I might be trading in my future 2018 Mustang for it lol. I wonder what they would call it? Crown Vic? New Taurus?
A new large Lincoln sedan is in development on D6 under CD714 for July 2020 SOP. Haven't heard much about it though. Let's hope nothing changes too much regarding any high points of D6.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
All-New Mustang Scheduled for 2021:

ALL-NEW MUSTANG SCHEDULED FOR 2021
In the automotive industry, most automakers generally design an all-new platform, give it a major refresh four years later, and then completely redesign it after 8 years. And that’s pretty much how Ford is managing the Mustang. The current generation Mustang went into production in 2014, and now Autoforecast Solutions is reporting the next generation Mustang will go into production in March of 2021 at Ford’s assembly plant in Flat Rock, Michigan. We expect to see a major refresh next year, but for all you suppliers in the audience who are on the lookout for future programs to bid on, here’s a 4-year heads-up on when Ford will completely re-do that car.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=50090

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I actually can't imagine the facelift will be build for 4 years, that's seems pretty much. Also it would kind of clash with with the 7th Gen Camaro coming out in late 2021 too as far as we know :shrug:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I guess they could do a (very) mild refresh for the '20MY, as that would be it's 55th Anniversary. No new sheet metal, but perhaps a few tweaks to bumpers/lights. That's complete speculation on my part, and only going by the fact the S197 received a final (and similar) tweak for the '13/'14MY.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it soldiers on unchanged for 4 years.

:)

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I actually can't imagine the facelift will be build for 4 years, that's seems pretty much. Also it would kind of clash with with the 7th Gen Camaro coming out in late 2021 too as far as we know :shrug:
7th gen war is coming. What i really want to see is a 7th gen mid engine corvette.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Confirmed:
D6R is the new platform for the S650 program
It will come 10 months later than previously reported.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.