Sponsored

ID'ing Valencia Built Engine

Rarecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Been reading way too much about blown motors lately so I thought I'd check out my cars build date. My Stang has a 5/15 build date which seems to be the cutover date. Is there a way to identify details on the engine? Part numbers on the block? Visual clues?

I've got plans to add a catted hi flow downpipe and the FRPP tune and I'm really not interested in stressing a weak engine.
Sponsored

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Is there any definitive info on one engine vs another being blown? Lots of conflicting statements, people saying they were pushed too hard and heavily modified and other people saying they were just tooting along at normal speed when it happened.

kert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Premium
Should be a sticker on the front of the cam cover. At least there is on the two Cleavland motors I have. It has build date and location clearly printed. You will have to remove the engine beauty cover to see it.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
You cannot add a downpipe with the FP tune. The only mods you can do with that tune are CAI (which is provided), catback exhaust, and FMIC. Downpipes require additional tuning in order to run safely, which FP does not provide. Sorry for not answering teh original question, I am not sure how to tell, but just letting you know before you start modding. You should not worry about blowing your motor with just the FP tune. It has been heavily tested and comes with warranty. It is not the most aggressive tune, so there is wiggle room, especially on the early build motors.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Cleveland engines have started blowing as well, so I don't think the production plant is the guilty party in regards to Ecoboom. I would point at the tunes and say it's the tuners being too aggresive, but then we've got a fair amount of bone stock cars tossing rods as well, so I have no idea.

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
This topic is being beat to death. In the end, all we can do is speculate and base our own decisions on evidence others have posted. I think a while back, TheLion posted evidence, and even Adam posted photos and his thoughts on the rods of the early builds, and others as well have posted evidence. Some still refuse to believe it, some take it with a grain of salt. There are more stock Valencia motors blown than Cleveland that have been reported on the forums. Thats not up for discussion. But thats what warranty is for right? Luckily, the FP tune provides a warranty, and a dealership and Ford are probably more willing to honor the factory 5/60K warranty past the 3/36K FP warranty because the tune is FP, not some other 3rd party. And if it blows, then you get brand new rods like the later models. Not that 3rd party tunes are bad, they are great, just not for warranty purposes. So OP dont be afraid to go FP tune, you will love it.

OP
OP

Rarecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
You cannot add a downpipe with the FP tune. The only mods you can do with that tune are CAI (which is provided), catback exhaust, and FMIC. Downpipes require additional tuning in order to run safely, which FP does not provide. Sorry for not answering teh original question, I am not sure how to tell, but just letting you know before you start modding. You should not worry about blowing your motor with just the FP tune. It has been heavily tested and comes with warranty. It is not the most aggressive tune, so there is wiggle room, especially on the early build motors.
It seems like the jury is out on the downpipe requiring a tune. As an example, MRT says no tune needed, but would help maximize performance gains. I'm an old V8 NA guy so I'm all ears and all about doing it right...

OP
OP

Rarecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
This topic is being beat to death. In the end, all we can do is speculate and base our own decisions on evidence others have posted. I think a while back, TheLion posted evidence, and even Adam posted photos and his thoughts on the rods of the early builds, and others as well have posted evidence. Some still refuse to believe it, some take it with a grain of salt. There are more stock Valencia motors blown than Cleveland that have been reported on the forums. Thats not up for discussion. But thats what warranty is for right? Luckily, the FP tune provides a warranty, and a dealership and Ford are probably more willing to honor the factory 5/60K warranty past the 3/36K FP warranty because the tune is FP, not some other 3rd party. And if it blows, then you get brand new rods like the later models. Not that 3rd party tunes are bad, they are great, just not for warranty purposes. So OP dont be afraid to go FP tune, you will love it.

Wasn't trying to pulverize the dead horse but educate myself on my own car. I prefer calculated risk over saying f**k it and throwing caution to the wind. I've used FRPP tunes on my GT-500 with great results, I'm sure this one for the 2.3 will be a nice, safe upgrade

OP
OP

Rarecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Should be a sticker on the front of the cam cover. At least there is on the two Cleavland motors I have. It has build date and location clearly printed. You will have to remove the engine beauty cover to see it.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
There is a sticker on the front of the engine under the plastic cover that identifies the build plant. I have followed many ecoboom threads and can tell you that tuned Cleveland engines blow up just like tuned Valencia engines. There were at least 3 Cleveland engine failures a few months back. The magic combination appears to be bad gas and a tune. The vast majority of blown engines were tuned by a handful of tuners. Some tuners have very low failure rates while other tuners have a high failure rate. If an engine defect was present the failure rate between the tuners would be more evenly distributed over a 3 year period. Also, the current record holding EB is a Valencia engine build lot 678 just like mine.
_20161007_104945.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rarecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Turns out my engine is a Cleveland built 4/17/2015. Thanks Kert and Maggneto for pointing out the sticker location....

kert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Premium
Turns out my engine is a Cleveland built 4/17/2015. Thanks Kert and Maggneto for pointing out the sticker location....
Turns out I have your twin. She's at the machine shop right now after being in an Ecoflood, not an Ecoboom. Bought the engine for a swap into a different car and fell in love with the S550.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It seems like the jury is out on the downpipe requiring a tune. As an example, MRT says no tune needed, but would help maximize performance gains. I'm an old V8 NA guy so I'm all ears and all about doing it right...
Jury is out? Any real tuner or person with common knowledge will tell you that getting a downpipe without a tune is about the dumbest thing you can possibly do.

The car isn't going to automatically adjust to it perfectly hence why you need a tune.

I've been around turbo cars for over a decade. The kids who decide they don't need a tune are the same idiots wondering why their plugs fowl, car idles rough, blow spot out of their tail pipe and ruin their O2 sensors.

Take my advice, skip the downpipe unless you get a tune with it.

OP
OP

Rarecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Jury is out? Any real tuner or person with common knowledge will tell you that getting a downpipe without a tune is about the dumbest thing you can possibly do.

The car isn't going to automatically adjust to it perfectly hence why you need a tune.

I've been around turbo cars for over a decade. The kids who decide they don't need a tune are the same idiots wondering why their plugs fowl, car idles rough, blow spot out of their tail pipe and ruin their O2 sensors.

Take my advice, skip the downpipe unless you get a tune with it.
I'm 55 years old, this is my first turbo car and I'm not a tuner, the downpipe will get shelved. Thanks for the advise.
Sponsored

Last edited: