Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/ Jeep Rubicon HR/ RC-F
Misread your post! I'm in a jeep in the Mojave right now so everything is bumpy on my little iPhone. Oil has a huge component on right seal, viscosity index, additives, base stocks. For example, esters cling to metal, which is why you see oils like Motul use ester based base oils. This greatly reduces wear and fuel dilution. Viscosity index is the oils ability to stay in grade as it heats up. Lots of technical factors that have big effects.

As proof my RC F went from 3.5% fuel dilution with Mobil 1, to 1% with BioSyn. That's huge if it did nothing else. I did extensive dyno testing in a climate controlled and the oils not only had a power difference, the high quality oils changed the way the power was produced. It was bizarre to say the least. The way the lines were so much smoother and steadier was interesting. Explains why Amsoil has its own dyno facility with top notch stuff.
Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
But agreed gas is much better but no where near where it should be. Unregulated field that needs regulation as higher octane fuels would greatly help.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Wait......

JP: Do all engines suffer from valve gunk over time?

GB: All engines will accumulate some build-up, but the amount is dependent upon a wide variety of factors, including the geometry of the engine, the type of engine oil used, and operating conditions including engine load and drive cycles.

Doesn't your own article prove what I've been saying? Thanks for the article too, never saw it.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
"Shell fuels advises that use of a quality gasoline can indirectly reduce valve gunk deposits, even in a DI engine where that fuel is never exposed to the intake valves.

The gist? A quality fuel keeps other engine components, like fuel injectors, cleaner, supporting a cleaner combustion process and reduced likelihood of contaminants re-entering the intake system."
Per article.
Back to the air filter, cleaner combustion process less deposits.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Wait......

JP: Do all engines suffer from valve gunk over time?

GB: All engines will accumulate some build-up, but the amount is dependent upon a wide variety of factors, including the geometry of the engine, the type of engine oil used, and operating conditions including engine load and drive cycles.

Doesn't your own article prove what I've been saying? Thanks for the article too, never saw it.
Yes, but it and the other link also proves what I've been saying about how the quality of gasoline itself is a big factor ... guess we're both right to some degree.

I can see how a more volatile oil that vaporizes easier due to heat could increase valve deposits due to more blow-by vapors getting routed back through the intake via the PCV system, and how some oils might get past rings and valve guide seals more than another under extreme use conditions.

Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Oh well that I completely agree with! The Oil + Fuel can create a post combustion cleanse that dissolves the residuals without leaving deposits. The two biggest factors we can control. Plus using a good filtration system to allow clean burn.

In the future as EV begin to take over, a push for better fuels will arise. Hopefully.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Never tested their oil. Those guys and Penn Grade are on my list here pretty soon.
For my first oil change I went with Quaker State Ultimate Durability and I would love to know what your test results are when you finish with it.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
If you just change your oil at 3 to 5K, any oil that meets grade and spec will be fine for the life of your car. I think some folks overthink this. I've not heard of a lubrication failure in any car in a LONG time.

OPG's are another story.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
If you just change your oil at 3 to 5K, any oil that meets grade and spec will be fine for the life of your car. I think some folks overthink this. I've not heard of a lubrication failure in any car in a LONG time.

OPG's are another story.
It's not about failure it's about wear and some of us here are running, plan on running single digits car. Like myself im looking to run 7s. It's even more important for folks like myself.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Lost, have you seen the valve deposits on modern cars? Many failures from all makes and models, just most people don't realize they're oil related and not "lubrication" related.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Lost, have you seen the valve deposits on modern cars? Many failures from all makes and models, just most people don't realize they're oil related and not "lubrication" related.
Fuel quality?

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Fuel quality is 40% of the issue. Oil quality is 40%. Long proven with break downs on Audi 4.2L using "Audi approved" oil and then using non approved Audi oil. Audi oil gunked up the engine while the non approved didn't.

Also the whole spec thing is BS. More about getting $$$$ then good criteria.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
I pulled 6whp and 4lbs. Switching from Amsoil to BioSyn. The more interesting part was how much smoother the dyno line graphed on the BioSyn.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
I pulled 6whp and 4lbs. Switching from Amsoil to BioSyn. The more interesting part was how much smoother the dyno line graphed on the BioSyn.
Did you do the dyno pulls within the same day at the same place without moving the car? Was the car the same tempuature with both pulls?

If the answer is no to either of these... You can not conclusively say you picked up 6rwhp and 4ftlbs.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
For clarification, the 40 dyno pulls using different combos of things were done within a temperature and humidity controlled environment. One of the best dyno facilities in the US. Air intake temps measured the same, block temps and all other variables were the same.
Sponsored