Sponsored

G2179's Big brother.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
After nearly two years with my 2016 Tech I picked up HR923 this past weekend. Back in August 15 when I put in my order I didn't once think of pursing an R. After a year of ownership and a little softening of ADMs I realized I wanted to locate one. My dealer sold a 17 R at MSRP (they didn't even have an r for 16) which was the icing on the cake to start my hunt. I was able to locate exactly what I wanted and lock in a very fair price at an amazing dealership (Planet Ford, Spring TX).

My initial impression is wow, what a car! I love my 16, the R just steps it up a notch! Here are a few thoughts on the differences.

Seats - the seats are super comfortable (6'4" 205) but after stepping out after an hour drive I thought my hips were bruised! They are snug but feel great after getting used to them.

Stereo - the 17 stereo is big improvement over the 16, better sound stage, mids, highs, etc. Even Sirius sounds better. I see no reason to upgrade compared to the 16.

Stripes - one of my favorite parts. The Matte stripes not only look great but they are way easier to clean. Not nearly as concerned about micro marring as the non-r stripes.

Wheels - they looks great and are way easier to while down than the aluminum wheels. The stance is also quite different with my wife actually saying "the tires look way bigger from the back". For those R owners out there what are you using to clean the wheels?

Sound - Wow I thought my 16 Tech was loud! I haven't noticed near. As much popping but overall the exhaust is just glorious. My daughter twice said "show off" when starting the car by doing nothing more but hitting the button.

Quality - the fit and finish is also better overall than my 16. Very minimal drips on the hood and trunk and only a couple specs I'm certain will polish out. Less orange peel and the rear bumper fitment is way cleaner.

Performance - with only 300 miles over the weekend I don't have enough seat time to say but it certainly has better turn in and slightly tighter suspension. The Cup2s feel completely different and as every states love to throw rocks. The R feels like it pulls slightly harder but that could just be the placebo effect.

I look forward to driving my 16 tomorrow to get a better feel of the difference. The sad part is the R is staying in TX (at least for now) so it's tucked away till our next trip back which of course can't come soon enough! I didn't have a chance to get any great pictures but these will have to do for now.

Not sure what the issue with photobucket...I'll have to resize an upload here.
20171120_141939_HDR_zps8v4oi1rv.jpg
20171120_141931_HDR_zpskbuicgxx.jpg
20171118_174955_HDR_zps5scvvolb.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
The sad part is the R is staying in TX (at least for now) so it's tucked away till our next trip back which of course can't come soon enough! I didn't have a chance to get any great pictures but these will have to do for now.
Sooo... does that mean "we" won't get to see it in person anytime soon? :(:(

Love it by the way!!! :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Sooo... does that mean "we" won't get to see it in person anytime soon? :(:(

Love it by the way!!! :cheers:
We will see come spring time. If I had garage space I'd ship it out but with no plans to get rid of my tech I just don't have the space!

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Congrats! The reason why you might feel the R pulls harder is the loss in rotational mass. Takes less energy to spin the wheels. Quicker steering response as well. Additionally while the 3.73 gear in the rear remains the same the shorter tire actually makes the effective ratio about 3.87 due to the shorter OD of the R rear tires.

R definitely feels like a level up. Enjoy it! If you don't want to sand blast your underbody and sides of the car consider a street wheel/tire combo too

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Triple yellow is one of those rarer colors that you don't see much. That and avalanche grey are two of the best IMHO. Nice score!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Congrats! The reason why you might feel the R pulls harder is the loss in rotational mass. Takes less energy to spin the wheels. Quicker steering response as well. Additionally while the 3.73 gear in the rear remains the same the shorter tire actually makes the effective ratio about 3.87 due to the shorter OD of the R rear tires.

R definitely feels like a level up. Enjoy it! If you don't want to sand blast your underbody and sides of the car consider a street wheel/tire combo too
Agree. When my car is fitted with the Forgeline rims and 30 series tires I notice a difference.

Congrats OP.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Congrats bro! Looks great! You gonna keep the 16 too or you planning on selling it?

Sponsored

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
Sonax Wheel cleaner works well for me.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I love how in the shadows Triple Yellow looks more like the old Zinc Yellow. I miss that shade.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Enjoy your new ride. You should know that you have one of the very last Rs for 2017, which ended with GR942. :ford:

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Love the color. Congrats.:thumbsup:
Sponsored