Sponsored

Knock?

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Driving on the highway the other day, 5th gear, ~3krpm just tipped into the throttle (no more than half, probably more like 1/4), and I feel a major stumble. MAJOR. This is not the first time, but it never hit this hard before. Seems like these are probably knock events. The only power mod I have is catted TB exhaust, so I have no ability to data log. No CELs ever. I'll be pulling plugs to inspect this weekend, but in the meantime, two questions for the group:

1. If this is knock, what are the ramifications? Are things getting weakened, making it stupid to do power mods (which I was intending to do soon)?
2. Do these cars record events like knock such that the dealership could confirm?
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Have you ever cleaned your injectors? Might want to put a bottle of Chevron Techron+ Concentrate through it... make sure you buy the "treats 20 gallons" size and not the 12 gallon size.

And yes, the computer logs events, but only if the CEL comes on. It logged all the bloody details of when my cannister purge valve failed...

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Have you ever cleaned your injectors? Might want to put a bottle of Chevron Techron+ Concentrate through it... make sure you buy the "treats 20 gallons" size and not the 12 gallon size.
I have not. Car only has 18kmi; seems (seemed) unnecessary.

And yes, the computer logs events, but only if the CEL comes on. It logged all the bloody details of when my cannister purge valve failed...
So in my case, no log, right?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
I have not. Car only has 18kmi; seems (seemed) unnecessary.

So in my case, no log, right?
Can't say for sure on the logging, but if you have a bluetooth scan tool, you can certainly check for it. I have a Bosch bluetooth scan tool, which you have to download the app for from the appropriate marketplace (Google Play or App Store).

RE: Injector cleaning, it is a necessary thing to do in any fuel injected engine. I got kind of lax on it myself in my Mustang (figuring that the higher fuel pressures of a Direct Injection system negated the need), but I have noticed improvements after doing it every time (I've got 30,000 miles on my car). I've felt misfires/hesitation before, and after the last time I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it, and about 200 miles into the tank with the cleaner, things definitely improved. It's a $10 (potential) solution :thumbsup:

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Driving on the highway the other day, 5th gear, ~3krpm just tipped into the throttle (no more than half, probably more like 1/4), and I feel a major stumble. MAJOR. This is not the first time, but it never hit this hard before. Seems like these are probably knock events.
What about this event makes you think it's knock?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Pull the plugs out and re-gap them at 0.028". The stock gap is all over the place and inconsistent to say the least. You could be experiencing spark blowout. Knock won't necessarily make it stumble around like you've described and if it was bad enough to do that then you'd definitely be hearing it too. It will sound like pennies inside of a coffee can tumbling around. Again, check the plug gap. Stock gap should be around 0.030 from the factory. If it's much higher than that, you've probably found your issue.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I reset the gap to 0.028" a year ago. Mine were actually all exactly 0.030".

I have not heard noise; I can only feel it. I always have the stereo playing, though.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
Water in the gas tank maybe?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Maybe? I only buy from Top Tier vendors, but I realize that doesn't mean as much as they'd like us to believe it does.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Water is miscible in e10 (it will go into solution and won't collect in the bottom of the tank). Doesn't mean the engine will be happy about it. A new tank of gas should dilute the concentration of water in the tank by 90%...assuming that there's no water in the new gas.
Sponsored