Sponsored

Proteccting our Mustangs from rust- Question

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Hi guys. I just want to know what is better for a brand new Mustang with only 150 Miles on it Yes only 150 under 1000 miles) Essentially fresh from the factory 2017 yellow Mustang V6 Convertible, to oil spray rustproof or undercoating (thick tar goop that dries) then oil spraying that every year. what would prevent the most corrosion and rust after say 10 years?:)
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Lizard Skin makes two systems, one for noise control and the other for heat. Neither are a rust preventative.

If you live in an area that they salt the roads in the winter there is not much you can do to stop the rust. If you don't there is no need to do anything other than through a coat of paint on the under carriage items that aren't painted from the factory.

There is a reason that the Rusty Jones and Ziebarts that used to be on every other corner are all gone. It's not needed.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do not do undercoating unless the shop knows what they are doing...

Tar or rubber undercoating can be detrimental or worse if when the indefiarong was applied there was moisture trapped OR the undercoating did not permeate all porous areas of the floor pan, chassis etc. If undercoated and there were porous areas not treated properly, water or moisture will sit in those areas OR be settled between the undercoating and sheet metal causing rust/cancer.

Today’s vehicles, the body shell is zinc dipped (submerged) prior to any body, prep, primer or paint work. The process is far superior to any undercoating.

Undercoating is only a $$$ maker to the selling entity.

Go to you tube and watch the video called “How a Car is Built”, which was a 2-Part series on the build process of the 94-95 Mustang. It starts with a roll of flat steel... really great vid to get a general idea of how a car is built from nearly nothing but raw materials and it goes through the prep process.

Sure, it’s the year 2017, but the processes outlined in the vid have only improved over time.

Personally, I would never apply any type of undercoating.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Buy the spray on rust proofing goop in the cans they attach to the sprayer. Before it is thinned down for the sprayer these jars of goop are painted on the underside by you and you cover most everything that is not engine, exhaust, trans,driveshaft. Then you take the consumer stuff in the spray cans and spray in the doors trunk and fenders even in the fronts that are aluminium. Spray between the fender rear liners as high as you can then use the goop around the inside edges of the wheel wells. Spray some rustproofing oil inside the hood just in case. All my suspension bits are coated and this car is ready for winter. The car will rust if you don’t. Even the trunk lip will rust, trust me it will. I don’t trust the companies to do it anymore, they just go through the motions and the oil just washes away. I use Rustcheck BTW.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Are you gonna keep it that long is the question.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Are you gonna keep it that long is the question.

Last 5.0 Mustang went 18 years and 375,000 klms. When I sold it to a restorer (Mustangs Alley) it was in almost perfect unrusted condition. He replaced the engine and tranny and sold it again. The car this one replaced was 23 years old. I’ll drive this baby till the wheels fall off. For my 60th Birthday I want a 7.0 GT500 (Ford shit or get off the pot on his already!) or C7 as I can’t stand the idea of a mid-engine Corvette. But the V6 is a perfect daily driver. That is every day and in the snow.

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
I plan to keep this mustang for as long as I can. It is such a nice driving car this 2017 v6 Yellow Mustang convertible. I'm itching to see what the next gen mustang will look like but that's 3-4 years away and who knows maybe it wont be something I like compared to the 15-17. Already the 18 I'm having a hard time liking the lights in the front.
I definitely want to keep this for a long time as much as I can.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Go to Krown Rust Control. www.krown.com Product/system is designed for Canadian winters. Been going annually for years with all my cars and never seen any rust. I usually keep my vehicles for up to 10 years. Just had my 17 GT done after I got it a couple of months ago. Application is about $120/year.
Sponsored