GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Anybody changed their oil after the first 1500 miles?
Just went over the 1500 mile mark today. :D
DBAF24D0-2908-44A7-8FC8-D4F7E684F8E0.jpeg
B2491E48-D07C-4412-9EC3-5A1F42F36EAF.jpeg
46E90B58-E57E-4E1D-99AB-80D52C46AEF1.jpeg
Sponsored

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
800 mikes here, But I change my own oil.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'll ask as well. I got 530 miles on my 17 GT.. decided to leave the oil in till spring.
Guess I should change it before start up, correct? TIA

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Your oil will be fine at 530 miles. You'd think that oil should have an expiration date on the bottle the way people talk about it. Changing it in the spring is still overkill, but if it makes you feel better...

No, you don't need to change it before you start it. The oil is fine. Will probably look brand new when you take it out of the car.

Sponsored

Quarter Horse

Deathstroke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium
I work for a specialty chemical company where we do a lot of testing both bench and mechanical for the OEM's. It is strongly recommended to get the break-in oil out and fresh oil in if the car is going to be stored, if you have been cycling the engine. I cant say yes or no you need to change the oil at 530 miles..........but on the recommendation of the formulators and engineers from work I drained all 10 quarts of factory fill oil last night and added in Full Synthetic Mobil 1. I have 1192 miles on the OD. Car will be going into storage today or tomorrow and will be in until around April.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
My understanding was that there is no such thing as break in oil from an OEM anymore. The car is filled with the same Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend at the factory as you'd purchase at the dealer for an oil change. 530 miles even if driven pretty hard isn't even 10% of the useful life of the oil.

Brand new rebuilt race engine? Totally different story.

Quarter Horse

Deathstroke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
You're welcome to believe that there is no difference but I see data everyday that we generate for the OEM's and I will assure you that there is different oil in the car from the factory than what you would get anywhere else.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

My understanding was that there is no such thing as break in oil from an OEM anymore. The car is filled with the same Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend at the factory as you'd purchase at the dealer for an oil change. 530 miles even if driven pretty hard isn't even 10% of the useful life of the oil.

Brand new rebuilt race engine? Totally different story.
For the guys that change their oil at 100 miles, do you guys treat your wife or husband that good? Sheesh :lol:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1192 miles on the OD. Car will be going into storage today or tomorrow and will be in until around April.
Not related to the topic entirely, but do you feel it was worth the $1-3k premium you likely paid to get your car for 8 days now plus having to deal with storing it over winter instead of just buying it in April? I'm not sure I'd have it in me to do that personally.

Sponsored

Quarter Horse

Deathstroke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Not related to the topic entirely, but do you feel it was worth the $1-3k premium you likely paid to get your car for 8 days now plus having to deal with storing it over winter instead of just buying it in April? I'm not sure I'd have it in me to do that personally.

For me it was. I had an expiring private cash offer from Ford $750, $500 first responder discount that expired in January (although Im sure this would still be available), $500 Ford incentive, A-Plan discount, and 2.7% Holiday interest from my credit union. I don't know what would be available in April and originally ordered the car at the beginning of August thinking delivery would be late September. I'm happy with my decision. Plus the last few years here the snow comes and goes over winter, so if it does this year I'll have opportunities to drive it.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I changed mine at 3000. It doesn't really matter. Tons of Mustang get their first oil change at 10000 miles.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You're welcome to believe that there is no difference but I see data everyday that we generate for the OEM's and I will assure you that there is different oil in the car from the factory than what you would get anywhere else.
There is NO difference in the actual oil fill. The difference is in the assembly lube and other materials used during engine assembly, that end up IN the original fill of oil. Not to mention bits of metal and other initial wear material (Bearings etc) that ends up in the oil on first fire up.

Let me clarify - as of a couple of years ago, when a certain new domestic sports car was built - the factory fill was Mobil 1. No different from the oil you can buy in stores, except it was in bulk of course.

Engine assembly lube - RTV / Silicone / gasket bits etc. All that is in the initial fill of oil once the engine starts running.

I changed my oil at 2K miles. It was NOT low on oil. As I always do, I change the oil after running the engine enough to get it to operating temp -in this case in the time it took me to drive to Walmart to pick up the Mobil 1 5w-20 and come back to the garage and get it up on jack stands.

I can tell you the engine ran noticeably quieter with the new fill of oil. I've noticed this on more than one new car on its initial oil change.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Factory fill usually gets dirty and break down faster than the second oil change due to exhaust gas passing the rings as well as tight bearings and stuff.
Should start to slow down after 2nd or 3rd oil changes.
Sponsored