Sponsored

engine rattle after oil change

ace350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue racing strips
hello all,

this is my first time posting to a forum, so please bare with me!

I need help... I have a 2017 GT350 that has 5900 miles. I got it in July of 2016, so really I don't drive it that often. So the car is really a year old.

Anyways yesterday I had my second oil change, and today I went for a drive for about thirty minutes and when I got back my engine starting making a loud rattling noise. I turned the car off and as I restarted it there was a massage that the oil pressure is low, it flashed for few seconds as the car was starting. Again the rattling noise was there. I am not sure what is going on or happening but I did not have that noise before the oil change.

Please help! if anyone had the same issue please let me know what happened. I will be taking the car back to the dealer on Monday but I am really bothered and worried about my baby...

thank you all! :)
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
At what point did you check the dipstick yourself?

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
...oil pressure low warning....loud rattling noise coming from engine...

I can see where this is going and it involves a motor on a pallet.

OP
OP

ace350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I let the engine cool down and I checked the oil afterwards seems like it is full. Not sure what is going on. No engine check light and no massages showing of at all. I am wondering if the dealer did not tighten the oil filter to spec, and the drive is causing it to rattle...I am not sure what is going on...I will see what happens on Monday and I will update with whatever they tell me. I just wanted to see if anyone had any similar issues.

thank you!

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Sounds like oil pump went kablammo. Question is, did you hit the higher RPMs before allowing the temps to reach normal op?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ace350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no I never drive it before the engine gets to normal op. I have a steep driveway into my garage so I don't get out without getting the engine to temp.

thank you!

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
I let the engine cool down and I checked the oil afterwards seems like it is full. Not sure what is going on. No engine check light and no massages showing of at all. I am wondering if the dealer did not tighten the oil filter to spec, and the drive is causing it to rattle...I am not sure what is going on...I will see what happens on Monday and I will update with whatever they tell me. I just wanted to see if anyone had any similar issues.

thank you!
"Seems like its full" is not very conclusive. Either it is or it isn't.

Was the oil pressure gage indicating low pressure right after startup.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
no I never drive it before the engine gets to normal op. I have a steep driveway into my garage so I don't get out without getting the engine to temp.

thank you!
So are you stating you don't drive the car until it reaches normal op? So you sit there and let it idle? :shrug:

OP
OP

ace350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are you stating you don't drive the car until it reaches normal op? So you sit there and let it idle? :shrug:

yes...and yes...

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

yes...and yes...
That in of itself is an urban myth and bad practice in regards to letting the vehicle idle to warm up. You are breaking down the oil's ability to lubricate which will lead to increased wear.

Chances are this is not the issue in your case, but more than likely a loose filter or the oil pump.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Man these Voodoo's are made out of glass if all it takes is driving them before the oil reaches operating temperature to need a replacement.
Yeah driving a car while cold causes failures... :rolleyes:

Beating on a car while cold, excessive idling to warm it up, loose filters from poorly trained mechanics, etc are killing the engines. If you knew more about an engine with all forged internals, or one that was built to such tolerances to allow over 8000rpm capability, you would understand why these things can cause failures so easily in our "glass engines" that would be fine for the most part for your iron block.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Being an early 17, if the filter was loose (assuming new filter design with 2 o rings will tolerate a bit of loosening without leak better than original style), I would expect it to be leaking fluid onto the belly pan and the floor. He says its full. I assume if he had visible dripping he would have commented. Sounds more like an internal problem like the oil pump. Bummer. Sorry to say its dealer time. :doh::shrug:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

thank you!
What kind of rattle? Piston slap is normal. If it is more than that, you've got a problem.

As stated do not idle these motors for extended periods. Start the car, and start driving. Keep the RPM's low (<4000) until your oil is 190F.

Did you use the proper Oil? Was the filter torqued down to spec? Did you verify all of that as well as oil level (Oil to top hole on dipstick)?

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
Take it back to the dealer and let us all know what the issue was. All the speculation is killin me...:lol:

OP
OP

ace350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will... taking it back first thing Monday....

thank you!
Sponsored