Sponsored

Red dots in the paint and windshield?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
My car is only 5 days off the dealer lot, I saw this stuff when I picked it up but I thought it was just junk accumulated from sitting on the lot. Upon trying to clay bar it today I realized the stuff is etched into the paint and windshield.

Does anyone know what it is? Its straight through the clear coat as well. I tried to get come pics but its really hard for the camera to pick up, the whole entire car is covered in it.

Sponsored

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
could be rail dust. If its eaten through the clear coat you have a real issue on your hands.

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
could be rail dust. If its eaten through the clear coat you have a real issue on your hands.
Thanks, I had never heard of such a thing so I'll look it up. Hopefully there is a solution that doesn't require a repaint.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Iron-x if it's rail dust. Kinda looks like paint overspray tho... polish that shit out.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I take it back... zooming in it does not look like paint. I agree with rail dust.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I take it back... zooming in it does not look like paint. I agree with rail dust.
Some of it on the surface does look just like someone sprinkled little dots of rust, but others go straight through the paint and clear, the camera can't see it very well for me to put a picture but some are pinhead size blobs of red that go all the way down to the metal.

I got a lot of it off with running the clay bar over the car a couple times (spent 4 hours with the bar today) but some of them are underneath and smooth on top.

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
Acidic rain? You are in an area (NE) that is known for that kind of fallout...maybe?

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Acidic rain? You are in an area (NE) that is known for that kind of fallout...maybe?
I don't think so, never heard of it around here. I think rail dust is the right idea, I'm going to take it by the dealer this week and see what they say about it.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I dont like that its a little red dot with the white circle around it and the bar wont touch it. It looks like little spots where it may have embedded into the clear and may have affected the top coat. If you have a good detail shop around you it may be worth it to console with them as well, chances are they may have seen this before.
On a color like that it woukd annoy the hell out of me.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Rail dust for sure. ironx, then clay bar and see the remaining damage.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
btw does the dealer know about any of this. the longer you keep it the more they may try to say its your own doing.
Sponsored