LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base, Automatic Transmision
This is my first post and I hope you forgive a new member to come in right away with a question, but I have seen very knowledgeable comments in this forum and hope there is someone who can help with experience.

I installed a Flowmaster American Thunder axleback on my 2015 Mustang GT two weeks ago. I thought I had done my homework and researched many hours before I selected this exhaust for its deep classy sound. But I obviously missed one important point: my car has an automatic transmission. The problem is a nerve wrecking drone at 1250 - 1500 rpm from the mufflers.
There are many threads here that cover the topic of exhaust drone, but it appears that the traditional V8 drone issue is around 2000 rpm and most comments and manufacturer's statements about "little or no drone" seem to refer to that engine speed.
With automatic transmission the problem is between 1250-1500rpm, as the programming frequently shifts the V8 right into that area and holds it there with the torque converter when in city or suburban driving. The only way to avoid this, is to paddle shift constantly, to keep the engine above 1500 rpm and not to shift into 6th gear at all.
I am ready to replace the Flowmasters with something else. The Borla Touring catback was my first thought, but also for that one I ran into comments about a drone at 1500rpm.
I am looking for input from members with an automatic transmission and first hand experience, which exhaust works with minimal or no drone in that low rpm range under light acceleration.
Sponsored

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
I have an Auto and the drone can get irritating. I currently have Catless headers with a MBRP street catback. The catback seems to be breaking in more and more and getting deeper and little quieter. My car partial throttle in 6th gear is almost unnoticeable. I'd recommend something with a H pipe and nice mufflers. AWE exhaust video are done on a Auto car so that might give you better idea.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first post and I hope you forgive a new member to come in right away with a question, but I have seen very knowledgeable comments in this forum and hope there is someone who can help with experience.

I installed a Flowmaster American Thunder axleback on my 2015 Mustang GT two weeks ago. I thought I had done my homework and researched many hours before I selected this exhaust for its deep classy sound. But I obviously missed one important point: my car has an automatic transmission. The problem is a nerve wrecking drone at 1250 - 1500 rpm from the mufflers.
There are many threads here that cover the topic of exhaust drone, but it appears that the traditional V8 drone issue is around 2000 rpm and most comments and manufacturer's statements about "little or no drone" seem to refer to that engine speed.
With automatic transmission the problem is between 1250-1500rpm, as the programming frequently shifts the V8 right into that area and holds it there with the torque converter when in city or suburban driving. The only way to avoid this, is to paddle shift constantly, to keep the engine above 1500 rpm and not to shift into 6th gear at all.
I am ready to replace the Flowmasters with something else. The Borla Touring catback was my first thought, but also for that one I ran into comments about a drone at 1500rpm.
I am looking for input from members with an automatic transmission and first hand experience, which exhaust works with minimal or no drone in that low rpm range under light acceleration.
There's your problem.

Go Corsa Touring, Borla S-type, FRPP Touring, or AWE Touring axlebacks and be happy. Roush would work too but it might be too loud for what you want. Any of these would be pretty mild but sound great.

OP
OP
LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base, Automatic Transmision
I have an Auto and the drone can get irritating. I currently have Catless headers with a MBRP street catback. The catback seems to be breaking in more and more and getting deeper and little quieter. My car partial throttle in 6th gear is almost unnoticeable. I'd recommend something with a H pipe and nice mufflers. AWE exhaust video are done on a Auto car so that might give you better idea.
Thanks for your input. I watched the video of the AWE touring edition catback. Great sound and a pleasure to watch. Indeed, it is rare to see an AUTO as a demo. Unfortunately the driver floors it right away and never lets it drop below 2000 rpm. My Flowmasters could get away with that, too. But my 12 miles daily commute is suburbs, occasional traffic lights and never over 55mph. I know, not the best application for a 430hp car. :)

Josh/AWE

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost, GT
Thanks for your input. I watched the video of the AWE touring edition catback. Great sound and a pleasure to watch. Indeed, it is rare to see an AUTO as a demo. Unfortunately the driver floors it right away and never lets it drop below 2000 rpm. :)
Thanks for the kind words!

I am a bit confused, though. There's a solid 20 seconds of driving at 2k rpm and below :shrug:

Simulation of highway driving starts at the :54 mark.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]GB-eTPs2mWs[/MEDIA]"]

A fun fact: we intentionally develop all of our systems on AT-equipped cars to make sure what you're currently experiencing doesn't happen with our exhausts. Drone zones are much more prominent, accessible, and apparent with autos. We find the hot spots, analyze frequencies, fine-tune the configuration, then decimate them with 180 Technology® :paddle: :)

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Coyotes and Drownmaster mufflers don't play nice together.

I'd vote for Corsa Touring, Borla S-Type or AWE Touring as well. All excellent, high quality choices.

RNstanger

V8 Goodness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have an Auto with the Solo Axle backs. Been on for almost a year. They sound excellent. Deep growl but quiet when cruising. Absolutely no drone anywhere in the power band. You might want to look into those.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
I know what you are describing. I have it with my Roush AB. Sending you a pm

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
The Pypes Street Pro axel-back gives that deep rumble but it had zero drone on my auto with 3.15

I currently have the Corsa extreme and also get zero drone at any RPM. Totally different sound than what you're looking​ for though.

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I also have the Pypes Street Pro axle back mufflers on an otherwise stock exhaust on my 2015 GT. Mine is an auto with 3.15 gears. No drone in mine, just a deep muscle car sound and no rasp. I've had several Fox body Mustangs and wanted something that somewhat sounded like the deep, rich muscle car sound I enjoyed in those cars. I'm very satisfied with the Pypes. Not stupid loud, and no drone or rasp.

Sponsored

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Yep I totally get what you're saying about the exhaust drone and automatics. I have a Roush AB with an X-pipe and I am getting drone about ~1200rpms and I'm thinking of switching to Borla ATAKs or Corsa Xtremes.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Giving you some impartial advice, both the Corsa Sport and AWE touring will tick the box of no drone.

Out of the two, the AWE will give you a rich V8 tone that is addictive to the ears.
The Corsa is higher pitched, with a unique wail, so it boils down to what sound your prefer.

My car is also an auto, and have the AWE touring catback and couldn't be any more pleased with the set up.

Best of luck :)

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Flow masters.. damn it sucks when you miss important detail before purchase. Corsas definitely don't drone.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
like others have said the auto has nothing to do with drone...I have catless headers and boral ataks and while it is louder that anything else around, I do not have drone. All in the mufflers.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yep I totally get what you're saying about the exhaust drone and automatics. I have a Roush AB with an X-pipe and I am getting drone about ~1200rpms and I'm thinking of switching to Borla ATAKs or Corsa Xtremes.
The drone and rattling started when I added an X-pipe. Does anyone make a light weight resonated X-pipe?
Sponsored