Sponsored

Wheel Studs

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Any good recommendations on changing to Wheel Studs instead of the stock lugs?

I have had the tires off numerous times to clean and check brakes after track sessions and one set of lugs are starting to worry me for getting socket on and off. The chrome on the lugs is starting to deform and getting harder to put socket on lug.
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Another thing to be concerned about, particularly if you are regularly retorquing them during track days is "galling." That is where the threads on the stud or the lugnut distort and eventually fail, causing the lug to be so tight that it strips the stud when you try to remove it.

Inspect the studs and lugnuts frequently and apply just a tiny amount of copper anti-seize to avoid having a lug stuck on a stud. Don't apply too much of the copper, though, as it can cause you to over-torque the nuts.

OP
OP
16Kobra

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to be concerned about, particularly if you are regularly retorquing them during track days is "galling." That is where the threads on the stud or the lugnut distort and eventually fail, causing the lug to be so tight that it strips the stud when you try to remove it.

Inspect the studs and lugnuts frequently and apply just a tiny amount of copper anti-seize to avoid having a lug stuck on a stud. Don't apply too much of the copper, though, as it can cause you to over-torque the nuts.
Thanks for the advice:headbang:

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car

I would use Nickle based antiseez instead of copper to reduce the chances of galvanic corrosion. Also do not torque hot studs as you will potentially have incorrect torque. In all my years if you torque your wheels correctly when cold you are good to go. The only Caveat is new wheels will take a couple of times to wear in the holes so re torquing is a good idea.

Peter
Sponsored