PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
OpenXC has it's own API to communicate with the Canbus. What stopped me was the offer that Patrick did to me to dev the Tesla HU. I like challenges and I see a lot of potential in the HU. Just need to tweak it around. I really like the way I managed to do my prototype (Probably one of the best I've made! I found an exploit in AA to run my phone in the car via wireless. Let me explain. Most of the custom HU that people build would love to control their phone via the tablet (Mostly the dial part of the phone. Which for now nobody was able to do at all. Other than just plug the phone in Jack or USB (Usb isn't that stable). The other way around was to buy a third party Bluetooth but still had some trouble with the tablet to control the phone part to dial a number. When I saw what AA could do and has a dev secret menu... I had to find an exploit to make believe the tablet was actually a real factory HU that you'll find in new cars and make my phone connect to it. From there I built an app on the tablet and run AA on the phone like you'd do if you have a car that support AA from factory. However I didn't like the USB part so I found another exploit to make it work via wireless and I'll use my usb on my lighter to charge my phone. My main goal was to keep the factory parts of the car without creating a big custom harness. Which I successfully did! I haven't posted much information about it because I moved to Tesla right after that... I also built a micro controller with Arduino. I wanted everything open source :p If you wanna know more let me know by PM. I don't wanna confuse people lol. I'm not even sure if all I said will make sense to you. sorry in advance :D
I talked to a guy named Jed over at the DriveMode Dev team, and explained our scenario. He said that it can be used to dial from the HU with a settings change in the "Labs" section. Although our current HU already does this, the DriveMode app is much cleaner looking. The only issue is, DriveMode doesn't like forced Portrait mode, but he said they are working on that as we speak.
Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
I talked to a guy named Jed over at the DriveMode Dev team, and explained our scenario. He said that it can be used to dial from the HU with a settings change in the "Labs" section. Although our current HU already does this, the DriveMode app is much cleaner looking. The only issue is, DriveMode doesn't like forced Portrait mode, but he said they are working on that as we speak.
I need to try that DriveMode app you're talking about lol. I really like the way AA is working so far... :cheers:

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
OpenXC has it's own API to communicate with the Canbus. What stopped me was the offer that Patrick did to me to dev the Tesla HU. I like challenges and I see a lot of potential in the HU. Just need to tweak it around. I really like the way I managed to do my prototype (Probably one of the best I've made! I found an exploit in AA to run my phone in the car via wireless. Let me explain. Most of the custom HU that people build would love to control their phone via the tablet (Mostly the dial part of the phone. Which for now nobody was able to do at all. Other than just plug the phone in Jack or USB (Usb isn't that stable). The other way around was to buy a third party Bluetooth but still had some trouble with the tablet to control the phone part to dial a number. When I saw what AA could do and has a dev secret menu... I had to find an exploit to make believe the tablet was actually a real factory HU that you'll find in new cars and make my phone connect to it. From there I built an app on the tablet and run AA on the phone like you'd do if you have a car that support AA from factory. However I didn't like the USB part so I found another exploit to make it work via wireless and I'll use my usb on my lighter to charge my phone. My main goal was to keep the factory parts of the car without creating a big custom harness. Which I successfully did! I haven't posted much information about it because I moved to Tesla right after that... I also built a micro controller with Arduino. I wanted everything open source :p If you wanna know more let me know by PM. I don't wanna confuse people lol. I'm not even sure if all I said will make sense to you. sorry in advance :D
I understand. For some reason I thought that OpenXC only allowed read only canbus communication but maybe I'm mistaken. Also, if the AC controls aren't hooked up and you have a OpenXC device communicating via the OBD2 port, are you still able to control the AC unit?

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand. For some reason I thought that OpenXC only allowed read only canbus communication but maybe I'm mistaken. Also, if the AC controls aren't hooked up and you have a OpenXC device communicating via the OBD2 port, are you still able to control the AC unit?
Canbus and OBD II are kinda similar... To my knowledge I know we can toggle them via OBD II but only via Ford IDS. (so, I'd say technically yes. but via regular OBD II and regular software, no...).

Sponsored

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Canbus and OBD II are kinda similar... To my knowledge I know we can toggle them via OBD II but only via Ford IDS. (so, I'd say technically yes. but via regular OBD II and regular software, no...).
Gotcha. I'm looking into doing something with an ODROID board

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. I'm looking into doing something with an ODROID board
there's a similar board as our Tesla HU I forgot the name. I was also thinking of using a Android PI for my project but since I had my Nexus 7 sleeping in the closet I thought I'd give it a shot with it lol. Turns out it was a perfect fits! For the backup camera I ordered a special chip as well and built a custom app. As soon as it would've detected the camera it would've showed up directly on the Nexus 7.

Sponsored

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
there's a similar board as our Tesla HU I forgot the name. I was also thinking of using a Android PI for my project but since I had my Nexus 7 sleeping in the closet I thought I'd give it a shot with it lol. Turns out it was a perfect fits! For the backup camera I ordered a special chip as well and built a custom app. As soon as it would've detected the camera it would've showed up directly on the Nexus 7.
I used to have a Nexus 7 in the dash of my F250. The problem I ran into was that during the summer I couldn't keep it charged. The heat really messed with it.

I think that a touch screen from MP3 car that has a built in backup camera input with automatic switching would be the way to go since you wouldn't have to wait for Android to boot up before the backup camera worked.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to have a Nexus 7 in the dash of my F250. The problem I ran into was that during the summer I couldn't keep it charged. The heat really messed with it.

I think that a touch screen from MP3 car that has a built in backup camera input with automatic switching would be the way to go since you wouldn't have to wait for Android to boot up before the backup camera worked.
I didn't have too many issues with the battery and I added multiple source of power. It would've ran off the direct power from the car and a big capacitor and then when the car shutdown it was on battery. Here's a video I posted a while back. I even had the SWC working without problem.

[ame]

Sebastianq52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None for now :/
Just got my unit today. I believe it's the new revision with everything integrated into the screen.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got my unit today. I believe it's the new revision with everything integrated into the screen.
Yup! that's the new revision! That's what the 6 members that ordered it will receive! Thanks for the pics!:coolphotos: It was about time they change that big a** fuse lol.
Sponsored