Oil change far too early on '17 GT

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The color of the oil isnt a very accurate way of measuring its remaining life.

[ame]

In the end, if you want to know for sure: Blackstone oil testing
Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I'm at 4k miles ish, and my OLM just came on. Never did an oilchange in my life. Take it to the dealer or do it my self?
hmm iirc it's 5W20 right? Any real difference between brands?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'm at 4k miles ish, and my OLM just came on. Never did an oilchange in my life. Take it to the dealer or do it my self?
hmm iirc it's 5W20 right? Any real difference between brands?
Nothing like being able to do your own oil changes. First, take note of if you have a safe place to change your oil, a jack, jack stands, and a place to take your used oil, oil jugs, and oil filter.

If you've done all of that and you can meet the above requirements, oil changes are the easiest maintenance you can do on a car outside of changing the air filter and rotating your tires.

Follow the instructions in the owner's manual for fluids - 5W20. Not all oils are created equal. If you're treating your car like a normal person would, then you can just stick with Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend for an unmodified car.

Plenty of info on oil, jack points, filters, etc. here on the forums.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I've now done 5 engine oil analysis checks since my car was new. Depending on what your driving habits are, higher mileage on the oil, even up to toward 10000 miles, might very well be acceptable. In each of the cases, I could have easily gone above the 7500 mile mark. See my journal thread posts for more information.

To the OP, at what speeds do you conduct your highway driving? Also, do you know if your monitor was reset after your first oil change?

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I've now done 5 engine oil analysis checks since my car was new. Depending on what your driving habits are, higher mileage on the oil, even up to toward 10000 miles, might very well be acceptable. In each of the cases, I could have easily gone above the 7500 mile mark. See my journal thread posts for more information.

To the OP, at what speeds do you conduct your highway driving? Also, do you know if your monitor was reset after your first oil change?

In the Mobil1 study on Mobil1 0w40 they noticed no degredation in oil performance until around 7500 miles. 5K is short, I think we can go 7K safely.
Sponsored