Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Don's Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR Mustang GT Premium PP
That's what happened to mine a few weeks of the odd smell on start-ups. Then the cold passenger side warm driverside. The first time it happened it just stopped blowing cold air completely. Dealer told me since it was leaking the passenger will blow colder because it's closer to he evaporator., the further the vents the warmer the air. Took them two days to fix, at first they just replaced the actuator. For the blend door. And that didn't work so replaced the whole thing.
Yeah I'm dropping my car off tomorrow morning. It's pretty ridiculous that this is happening on a 2 year old car with 30k miles. I've been debating on trading the mustang in for a F150 because of all the recent problems. They've literally had my car for almost a month of recent.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
the f150 probably has the same problems. pretty sure evaporator and hood corrosion issues are across multiple ford models.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Stuff like this reminds me why people always said don't buy American, I mean I know all manufacturers have problems but come on man this is just ridiculous, stuff like this happens cause they wanted to save 5 more cents on each core and got the cheapest of the cheaps. At least the Japanese try to get most the most reliable components possible.

Don's Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff like this reminds me why people always said don't buy American, I mean I know all manufacturers have problems but come on man this is just ridiculous, stuff like this happens cause they wanted to save 5 more cents on each core and got the cheapest of the cheaps. At least the Japanese try to get most the most reliable components possible.
Owned a 2006 Mustang GT before this one and I had no issues other than the obvious alternator and battery. This 15 however has given me multiple issues which is why I should have stuck to not buying first model year.

TetVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My Ford dealer replaced mine. Had the car for two days and gave me a Mustang loaner to use that only had 650 miles on the clock.

The tech did an excellent job. You can't tell that anything had been taken apart. A/C working fine again. The service writer sent me a picture of the repair when it was in in progress with all the dash and console parts, etc. out of the car.

Can't say how relieved I am that everything went back together like it came out of the factory.

I had a Lexus GX470 that had the same problem (not under warranty cost: $2,000) and the Lexus dealer did a crap job putting the dash back together. The glove box never lined up right. Had several other problems with that car - my first and last Lexus.

Sponsored

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
i made an appointment yesterday, but it's a week away because i need a service loaner. i'm jealous of those of you who can get another mustang to drive... we only get base model fiestas where i am, or if i'm lucky, a focus.

one thing i've discovered is that the a/c fan on the radiator is always on even though the climate control is not, and will only shut off when the ignition is off. what is going on...

Don's Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't get a Mustang loaner I got a 2017 F150 XLT STX with sync 3 and the 2.7l ecoboost. This thing is fun to drive.

SIMS1724

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS Ingot Silver
Yup! Here's an image I snagged from another thread from Need4Speed15. This is a 2015 mustang. Having it done on my car now :frusty:
IMG_4186.jpg
That's ridiculous. Hopefully i can just buy an ACPRO and get it fixed that way

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
I didn't get a Mustang loaner I got a 2017 F150 XLT STX with sync 3 and the 2.7l ecoboost. This thing is fun to drive.
a dealer in my area used to have trucks, but someone got caught posting pics online of one the loaners being off-roaded, doing jumps, etc... so no more.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
a dealer in my area used to have trucks, but someone got caught posting pics online of one the loaners being off-roaded, doing jumps, etc... so no more.
I heard those dealers weren't too happy seeing online pics of their Fiestas jumping after the change.

Sponsored

Don's Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well got the car back today and it's fixed so hopefully it stays that way. If not I'll drive it off into a ditch somewhere. All jokes aside if these problems persist I'm going to pursue another vehicle I've had my eyes on.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Here's my latest update. I had my 2nd Evaporator replaced in back in June, so that's 3 total. Since then I've put about 200 miles on the car, since I only drive it about twice a week. The passenger side vent is already not blowing cold and I can smell refrigerant again.

So now I need to take it back in for a 4th evap core. My car has 9,970 miles on the odometer, and I've owned it for 22 months (since Nov 2015). Not a lot of driving, NO hard driving, and it's a garage-kept car.

The dealership I am working with has done right by me so far as I can tell, but if the part is prone to leaking, then fixing it doesn't fix it, it just replaces it with another leaky core. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight for this problem.

For the first time since I bought this car I'm looking at selling it. I took a risk buying a Ford because this is one of the best looking production cars ever in my opinion, and driving it always makes me smile (at least when the AC works.) Now I'll start looking for a cheap replacement (maybe an Elantra or Mazda 3 or something) just to get me out of it. I had my fun but maybe performance and reliability are mutually exclusive features in a vehicle.

Absolutely heartbreaking. I bought this car with the idea that I could keep it forever, since it is the dream car I waited my whole life to own. Now I'm just hoping the long term exposure to refrigerant fumes isn't going to cost me my health somewhere down the line.

As I have 2 other times, I'll update this thread when I take it - again - to get a new evap core.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Damn. Just Damn. Have they looked at other areas like leaking schrader valves? I'm going out on a limb here saying this, but I also was convinced I was smelling freon. They found a leaking valve on mine.
I'm still in the theory they were putting me off because my warranty is about to expire though.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
This is bad news. Sorry to read this man...

I had my evap replaced a couple of weeks ago and I thought that they put in the latest version that was not supposed to leak. Now I don't know what to expect...

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
if It wasn’t due to the evap and hood corrosion issues, the car could be a keeper
Sponsored