Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Hybrid or not they need to improve the front end of the '18!

Ford please return to form, the '15 looked great when first saw it (as did the '05).
Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
The decision to hybridize the mustang is being driven solely by consumer demand
Prove it!!

It only makes any sense on a mustang if you use it
for AWD with something like the EB. Using it for more
low end torque with the V8 is not required. Hard enough
to get traction with just the stock V8 now.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
If you want weight loss buy a sports car not a muscle car!
One of the most short sighted statements I've ever read. Lower
weight helps every aspect of a vehicle, except maybe a tow rig
which I believe tow better when the tail is not wagging the dog.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Hybrid or not they need to improve the front end of the '18!

Ford please return to form, the '15 looked great when first saw it (as did the '05).
Right here is when you discredited yourself. Ford is moving away from retro at flank speed, thankfully.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Prove it!!

It only makes any sense on a mustang if you use it
for AWD with something like the EB. Using it for more
low end torque with the V8 is not required. Hard enough
to get traction with just the stock V8 now.
I'm not going post anything confidential. People can choose to believe or not believe what i'm posting it's no skin off my back.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never thought I'd see so much hybrid support on a Mustang forum. Like I realized months ago when this thread first started, there's two types of people in here. Those who love the sound and feel of a V8 and those who simply drive the V8 version because it's currently the fastest model. That latter group welcomes whatever performance improvements they can get, even if it means gradually morphing the car into a Tesla. Enjoy your 2.5 sec 0-60, fully electric and fully silent Mustang in 2025 or 2030. I'll still be enjoying my V8. :cheers:
I would also suggest that there is a third group, one that likes the v8 and prefers the v8 but still understands the market place is dynamic and changing and that manufacturers need to change with it.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I would also suggest that there is a third group, one that likes the v8 and prefers the v8 but still understands the market place is dynamic and changing and that manufacturers need to change with it.
Sure, I understand Ford needs to build what sells. But I think there still needs to be fundamentals and core attributes that don't change, instead of just bending to whatever the current trend is. I see this car going in the direction of the Mustang II. As much as people like to rag on it, the Mustang II sold really well and was the right Mustang that was needed and wanted at a time when everyone was concerned about fuel economy. Sound familiar?

Electric seems to be the future that the masses and politicians both want, and to keep up with the "dynamic and changing" marketplace, the Mustang will go electric too. In 10 years the conversation will be how we're just grateful the Mustang is still able to actually be driven and not fully autonomous like so many other cars. Who knows how long they'll hold out on that one either.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I never thought I'd see so much hybrid support on a Mustang forum. Like I realized months ago when this thread first started, there's two types of people in here. Those who love the sound and feel of a V8 and those who simply drive the V8 version because it's currently the fastest model. That latter group welcomes whatever performance improvements they can get, even if it means gradually morphing the car into a Tesla. Enjoy your 2.5 sec 0-60, fully electric and fully silent Mustang in 2025 or 2030. I'll still be enjoying my V8. :cheers:
I doubt it. Gas will likely be 3x what it is now, at least.
As more and more motorists move to EV, there will be less demand for gasoline, and economies of scale will diminish and force the price of gasoline up.

The availability of non-autonomous vehicles will be heavily impacted by insurance rates. It will become much cheaper to insure autonomous vehicles. High performance manually operated vehicles will likely go up in cost to insure.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I doubt it. Gas will likely be 3x what it is now, at least.
As more and more motorists move to EV, there will be less demand for gasoline, and economies of scale will diminish and force the price of gasoline up.
That won't stop enthusiasts. Gas prices now are nearly double what they were in the 90s (even adjusted for inflation) and even the general public drives far more now than ever. In the UK they already pay 3x what we do, and people are buying V8 Mustangs like crazy.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, I understand Ford needs to build what sells. But I think there still needs to be fundamentals and core attributes that don't change, instead of just bending to whatever the current trend is. I see this car going in the direction of the Mustang II. As much as people like to rag on it, the Mustang II sold really well and was the right Mustang that was needed and wanted at a time when everyone was concerned about fuel economy. Sound familiar?

Electric seems to be the future that the masses and politicians both want, and to keep up with the "dynamic and changing" marketplace, the Mustang will go electric too. In 10 years the conversation will be how we're just grateful the Mustang is still able to actually be driven and not fully autonomous like so many other cars. Who knows how long they'll hold out on that one either.
I understand what you are saying but that line of adapting vs sticking to core fundamentals is fine line to walk. GM/Ford/Chrysler got themselves into trouble by not listening to their customers and just sticking with the core fundamentals and what it knew, everyone learned their lesson and are now more in touch with what consumers want, and the results of that is that i would say that at this moment the auto industry best reflects the needs and wants of all segments. Never before in history could you buy from the same manufacturers cars that are zero emissions/fully electric and also 500-800hp track monsters.

On your example of the Mustang II you are correct, this was the car that the market demanded and it did quite well, but the rest of the story is that ford thought the market was changing to FWD during the fox body years, but the market outcry was so great that they scrapped that and kept the RWD platform and launched the probe as a stand alone vehicle instead of a mustang replacement. The probe did not sell very well, the fox body mustang did and the mustang carried on and the probe did not. Consumers voted with their wallets and ford responded to the market

The situation now is really no different except that v8 enthusiasts fear that they might be on the other side no longer representing the majority. Its a valid concern, and the other concern about fully electric mustangs is also a possibility if the market shifts and demands it, but what Ford is not going to do is turn its back on a large market segment (v8 enthusiasts) so long as the marketshare exists. So my advice is vote with your wallet, and share your enthusiasm with your kids/nephews/nieces/neighbor kids and get them excited about it, its these millennial that will in many ways be shaping the automotive landscape. While you are at it, get them excited about driving a 6spd manual too!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the most short sighted statements I've ever read. Lower
weight helps every aspect of a vehicle, except maybe a tow rig
which I believe tow better when the tail is not wagging the dog.
It's a muscle car not a sports car! If you want a light car there are plenty of examples out there.

Making a car light will generally be more expensive. Muscle cars are about spending the money on the engine rather than on light exotic materials. Also, in a crash a heavier car will mostly come out better.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right here is when you discredited yourself. Ford is moving away from retro at flank speed, thankfully.
Why have I discredited myself by saying I like the '05 and '15? I prefer the '15 to the '05 but still liked both designs when I saw them.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
When Mustang began 53 years ago it could any car that anyone wanted. A six cylinder econo car to full blow race car. Now Mustang will never be that car again but the hybrid will broaden Mustangs appeal not everyone buys a Mustang to go racing in.

You do realize the Mustang is available as a 4 cylinder econo car to a GT350 R?

Or, apparently not..

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I don't think the v8 will go away for another decade. We'll see! I just made a sizeable purchase of ford stock because it's relatively low right now compaired to the others. More so because of the direction ford is taking . NO, I don't like the self driving hybrids but that's the way of the dummy future and well... it's an investment decision....tech is the way forward.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.