Sponsored

Trunk Paint Damage - What the Heck

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I go to get something out of my trunk and i see on the bottom edge of the top part of the trunk what looks like dirt. I go to wipe it off and my heart sinks. It turns out to be mars that have gone through the color coat and onto the primer underneath, one part is through to the metal. What the Heck!

I never scratched this part or closed the trunk on anything and it is on both sides of the middle black decklid. I dont know how long it has been there or how it got there. I dont touch that part and dont remember it from its last cleaning but ill admit i dont really look at it much to begin with.

I dont think the trunk lid is aluminum and it doesnt look like the normal hood bubbling. Im going to clean and use some touch up paint on it tomorrow but i would like to keep this from happening again.

anyone else have similar damage?

Pics:
http://imgur.com/a/vBOqk
Sponsored

Last edited:

Popcorn

Loves His Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium DIB with Black Accents
I go to get something out of my trunk and i see on the bottom edge of the top part of the trunk what looks like dirt. I go to wipe it off and my heart sinks. It turns out to be mars that have gone through the color coat and onto the primer underneath, one part is through to the metal. What the Heck!

I never scratched this part or closed the trunk on anything and it is on both sides of the middle black decklid. I dont know how long it has been there or how it got there. I dont touch that part and dont remember it from its last cleaning but ill admit i dont really look at it much to begin with.

I dont think the trunk lid is aluminum and it doesnt look like the normal hood bubbling. Im going to clean and use some touch up paint on it tomorrow but i would like to keep this from happening again.

anyone else have similar damage?
Guess i'll have to take a peek tomorrow and see. Do you have a photo?

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Guess i'll have to take a peek tomorrow and see. Do you have a photo?
added a link to the pics.

the only thing i can think of is i had a PDR guy do a lot of work but i cant see him doing this. To do this he would of had to clip something onto the back right then and then scrape it off or rubbed the rods they use right against their over and over.

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Just noticed this weekend some paint missing on the far left edge of the trunk lid. There's really no way anything could have hit it there. It's not a spot you would grab at to close the trunk either.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Touch it up and move on with life. It wont even be noticeable with the trunk closed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Touch it up and move on with life. It wont even be noticeable with the trunk closed.
Youre right it isnt and i am, but i dont want it repeated. Its also on the lip where water loves to hang so it can be prone to further damage or rust.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It seems like it's by the taillights.
There is no way it would be hitting the tail lights.
I bet it's just bad factory paint job.

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
No contacts is being made by the tail lights. Im not sure if its a bad factory job as the color is the only thing off in most places except for the big one is down to the metal.

I think when the PDR guy was working he may have rubbed into it with the rods they use. I cant prove it and i hope its not from that but the way the wear was in the metal makes me wonder.
Sponsored