Sponsored

Dr.ColorChip-any expriences?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Hi,

I've got a lot of paint chips from an unusually harsh winter.

Anyone tried the Dr.ColorChip system that I see advertised on TV during the auto auctions?

Bonus points for anyone with a Deep Impact Blue car :headbang:
Sponsored

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hi
I've got a Magnetic & have used it. Color match was great, sure looked like it matched.

Get a set of brushes from Hobby Lobby, the one that comes with the kit stinks.

It also doesn't work well on deep chips without a bunch of applications.

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
It works ok, but the color match (ingot silver) is a bit off when you look at it from some angles. Silver is difficult to color-match anyway. I've talked to others who used it, and it seems to work better on darker colors. Like Bob_Whit said, the brush that comes with the kit is not all that great.

It will likely never look 100% perfect, but if you take your time it can work well.

Here's a video that you might find useful. He doesn't use Dr. Colorchip, but it has a few tricks that were helpful to me.

[ame]

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
It's good for thin, deep, scratches and small chips.
I had someone hit my bumper and it was two half inch long scratches about the width of a pencil eraser, i would consider this the absolute limit. For this it took a ton of applications to get it even nearly right and you can still see it easy. when wiping it up it also took some of the color out of the paint.
On thinner spots it was easy and made some scratches disappear.

17MustangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
Used it on my 2012 VW GTI, the color matched perfectly and after adding a few layers slowly through the course of an afternoon the spot was not noticeable which was great as it was on the roof near the door pillar. I would recommend it to someone else just read all the directions and take your time.

Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Fixed literally thousands of chips on the rear quarters from the PP tires on my DIB... worked as advertised... may not be quite perfect, but it's pretty close.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Fixed literally thousands of chips on the rear quarters from the PP tires on my DIB... worked as advertised... may not be quite perfect, but it's pretty close.
If at all possible, can you post up some semi-close pics showing the repair with DrC?

I've been debating ordering a kit for my RR, as I was not sure how the repair would look since RR is also a tri-coat metallic flake paint.

Thx!

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
If at all possible, can you post up some semi-close pics showing the repair with DrC?

I've been debating ordering a kit for my RR, as I was not sure how the repair would look since RR is also a tri-coat metallic flake paint.

Thx!
No can do... before photos did not come out; after photos are impossible.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
used it on the mustang and viper, great results and color match. Really hard to tell where chips are once you level them off with the kit. For deep chips you may have to do multiple fills. Much better than blobby touch up paint pens

TheDoctor66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Name: Sylvanas
Has anyone used a mobile chip repair before? I have one on my trunk that is tricky for a newb like me.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's pretty good for the effort you need to put into.
I have a chip thats all the way to metal and it filled it in pretty good with a couple tries.
The good thing is you can easily correct it.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
With Dr. Colorchip, it doesn't get rid of the chip or scratch, it just hides it pretty well. You can still see blemishes if you look for them. If you are 20 feet or further back, you won't notice any chips or scratches with this system.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
With my RR paint it matches well enough I can't find it after it's done in most cases. The main use for me is road rash from the tires on the front of the rear wheels. It hides those pretty much perfectly.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I haven't tried chips yet but I tried it on a 2" scratch on the rear fender that Ford wants $1500 to fix (said they'd have to blend the whole fender).

It's still pretty noticeable, it didn't fill in as much as I hoped it would. I may do a few more applications to see if it helps, but for the price I wasn't too satisfied. It did work better than touch up paint though, that would have looked messy. Now it just looks like a filled in scratch.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I haven't tried chips yet but I tried it on a 2" scratch on the rear fender that Ford wants $1500 to fix (said they'd have to blend the whole fender).

It's still pretty noticeable, it didn't fill in as much as I hoped it would. I may do a few more applications to see if it helps, but for the price I wasn't too satisfied. It did work better than touch up paint though, that would have looked messy. Now it just looks like a filled in scratch.
One thing I did notice is if the damages is very small like a pin hole size or very shallow, it does not stick very well.
Sponsored