Sponsored

Tow Hook / Roll Cage - Suggestions / Input

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Hello All,

I did a search and came up with limited results. Has anyone installed the Ford Performance tow hooks - front / rear?

I've narrowed it down to ZL1's tow hooks and Ford Performance.

Also, looking at putting a roll cage in the car. I've seen pics on FB, but thought I'd ask here. This cage looks like a winner, just looking for some feedback.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43536&highlight=roll+bar

Thanks in advance for any input.

:cheers:
Sponsored

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
It so happens, I've done both of these mods to my 2017 GT-PP this year.

I selected the ZL1 Tow Hook but decided on the center-mount option, since I was concerned about torqueing it when pulling from the side. Also, I did not want to have to cut a slot in my upper grille. I was able to align the hole location in my lower grille.

If you decide to go this way, the Ford Perf. instructions do a good job of showing you how to remove the front bumper cover as one part. Wasn't too bad, just a lot of screws. There is a small angled screw right around the headlights where the plastic cover meets the metal fender that was a bit of a challenge, but otherwise not bad.

I've attached a couple pix I took of the hook. You can briefly re-hang the front to make sure you hole aligns, then mark the holes to drill in the bumper. You need good bits for that. It took me a while to drill through the hardened steel.
___
I also installed the Cool Tech roll-hoop - a buddy had one in his 2012 Boss 302. It works well, the hardest part for me was aligning the 4 holes on each side with the holes you have to drill. I tried to mark them the best I could, but drilling on a curved surface through 3 layers of metal was just tricky. Took a couple weekends for me to get it all done and buttoned-up. There are other threads on these forums where folks have installed them (as well as other forum sites). Oh, I installed a black one, but if you ask, they can match your external color, etc.

Note I also used the Cool Tech floor mounts for my 6 pt. harness. They sell a harness, but I used a Schroth 6 pt. for my setup.

I've attached a few pix from my phone, I hope you find them useful. :)
Tow Hook 1.jpg
Tow Hook 2.jpg
Roll hoop.jpg

OP
OP
Next Phase

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Thanks for the post Tenn Tex. I'll probably tackle this over the winter. I prefer the center mount for function, but prefer the looks of it mounted to the side.

Cutting up the car will be fun...

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
Your welcome Next Phase.

Yeah, I did the roll-hoop last Winter, and did suspension mods (and tow hook) this summer ahead of upcoming Fall track-days.

Have fun!

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP