Sponsored

2017 Mustang GT cloth vs leather

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
The cooled seats work fine on my car if you're wearing gym type shorts, but I've noticed with jeans and thicker pants/shorts that you really can't notice it. The heated seats work great though.
Sponsored

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I've owned a 2013 Premium and 2016 Base

My premium leather looked like crap literally after I drove it off the lot. The seats wrinkled so easily and Ford said it was characteristic of leather, so they wouldn't replace them. Also, its not real leather

The base material is actually quite nice and cleans up well. No real need to treat it either

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's not leather, it's vinyl. And it wears terribly.

Nice when new, terrible in a few years.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It's not leather, it's vinyl. And it wears terribly.

Nice when new, terrible in a few years.
Parts of it are leather, if it were not then Ford would get sued for false advertising. Hence the terminology "leather trimmed". I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know what percentage is leather to qualify as "leather trimmed" but certainly less than all. Of note, this is true on almost all "leather" seats in cars. Normally the actual seating surface is leather, and everything else (side bolsters, headrest, back) are Naugahyde or similar.

You can tell by doing the "press test", taking your thumb and pressing firmly on a spot. Leather will make sort of spyder web wrinkles.

On a slightly different note, from the pictures floating around it looks like the 2018 has a different finish on the standard seats. Anyone see them?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Parts of it are leather, if it were not then Ford would get sued for false advertising. Hence the terminology "leather trimmed". I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know what percentage is leather to qualify as "leather trimmed" but certainly less than all. Of note, this is true on almost all "leather" seats in cars. Normally the actual seating surface is leather, and everything else (side bolsters, headrest, back) are Naugahyde or similar.

You can tell by doing the "press test", taking your thumb and pressing firmly on a spot. Leather will make sort of spyder web wrinkles.

On a slightly different note, from the pictures floating around it looks like the 2018 has a different finish on the standard seats. Anyone see them?
The seats aren't leather, they're not naugahyde, or anything similar. It's vinyl. All of it. The seating surface, side bolsters, backs....everything.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Been that way for years and years. Most of the seat coverings advertised as "Leather" are actually vinyl. Wait until it starts to wear, and you'll see and understand the truth of what I'm saying. As it ages it turns more plasticky, and when it cracks you can see that it's vinyl with a mesh under it.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
The seats aren't leather, they're not naugahyde, or anything similar. It's vinyl. All of it. The seating surface, side bolsters, backs....everything.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Been that way for years and years. Most of the seat coverings advertised as "Leather" are actually vinyl. Wait until it starts to wear, and you'll see and understand the truth of what I'm saying. As it ages it turns more plasticky, and when it cracks you can see that it's vinyl with a mesh under it.
Naugahyde and vinyl are not mutually exclusive terms. Naugahyde is just a brand name for a particular PVC (the V is for vinyl) fabric bonded material. Again, something has to be leather or they couldn't market it as "leather trimmed". I have no idea what or how much.

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
There is leather. The inserts of the seat, the perforated area, is leather. Side bolsters, backing, headrest are all synthetic.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Leather vs. Non-leather, round II, FIGHT...!

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
Naugahyde and vinyl are not mutually exclusive terms. Naugahyde is just a brand name for a particular PVC (the V is for vinyl) fabric bonded material. Again, something has to be leather or they couldn't market it as "leather trimmed". I have no idea what or how much.
Everyone knows that Naugahyde comes from the skin of naugas, an animal that sheds its skin without being slaughtered and is approved by PETA.

It is about as silly as the 'leather' vs "leather-trimmed" argument.

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I would prefer leather but i got the base because i didnt want all the extra electronics bundled with it. The cloth seats are comfortable and hug me pretty well at the same time. Maybe down the road i will go with katskinz leather if i want it.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
The cooled seats on ours work pretty good even while wearing jeans. Haven't tried the out the heat setting yet. (Garage Queen in the winter). :)
I've heard they had a recall on 15's and early 16's for a seat cooling issue. My car is an early 16' build so it could be one of the problem ones. My car is outside all day, everyday. I won't drive it in the snow though and have a cover that I use for snow days. I owned a 94' Mustang back in the 90's which I drove in the snow.....never again, it was scary. :D I do wish I had a garage though.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
I wish I didnt go premium. The leather isn't great and the cooled seats don't do squat.

Also now somehow I got a vertical scratch about 3 inches long on the drivers seat. :headbonk: :headbonk: :headbonk:
I am looking to swap TO leather from cloth. Mine has ~900 miles. PM me if interested + $$$ in your pocket.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me, or does it almost feel like you're peeing when the air conditioned seats are on?

;)

The cooled seats on ours work pretty good even while wearing jeans. Haven't tried the out the heat setting yet. (Garage Queen in the winter). :)
Sponsored