Sponsored

Problems with deez nuts

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Well actually it is my lug nuts I'm having issues with. The factory lug nuts are already showing signs of distortion. Wheels have been removed 3 or 4 times so I'm not really sure why they are already having issues.

Two questions for the group:
  1. Has anyone else experienced issues with the factory lug nuts?
  2. What are some good replacement lug nuts for the factory 18" wheels? I don't wish to spend a ton of money unless they can also be used on aftermarket wheels. I eventually will be replacing the wheels.
Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I think people have been showing that these lug nuts only have a chrome cover on them and that they give up pretty easily with an impact gun taking them on/off more than a few times.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
OE nuts are complete junk. It is really sad that Ford could not source a better product.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
glad i saw this post, i kept looking at my socket like wtf is wrong with this thing?

Ah, the lugs suck. Amazing considering its 148lb torque you would think the nuts could take it.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. So what are our alternatives? I don't want to go from bad to worse and sure don't wish to keep "trying" until I find something worth while.

Sponsored

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
As stated, the OEM nuts are complete garbage, I've seen onions that were harder to peel than these nuts.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I have the Gorilla lugs off CJPP. They survived being torqued to what I would guess is well over 200lb-ft by the dealer (enough force that it sheard off a 3/8" wrench adapter in the socket when I tried to break them loose).

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I have the Gorilla lugs off CJPP. They survived being torqued to what I would guess is well over 200lb-ft by the dealer (enough force that it sheard off a 3/8" wrench adapter in the socket when I tried to break them loose).
This. The Gorillas are solid metal bolts. The stock oem are 21mm (I think) shell with a 20mm nut underneath that shell. They're flimsy are prone to rounding.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Gorillas have been holding up really well and I switch wheels about once every two weeks. The stock ones gave up a long time ago.

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Mine had issues and were hell to get out of the sockets. This was after minimal impact use.

These are the gorillas to get as they are the same bulge size and completely fill the hole. Others I have seen there is a small gap left as they are smaller where they seat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G91GQ8E

They make a black version of the above too

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Its not uncommon we have seen it happen at our own shop and I have heard cases of this.

Gorilla has some good oem spec lug nuts.

BRYN@N4SM

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
n4sm.com
First Name
Bryn
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT vert
A bit late to the party but I have to agree that the factory lugs are little better than paper weights. I took my first s550 in to the dealer for a TSB on the non PP brakes and they got one lug stuck in the impact gun, damaging both the lug and their tool :lol::tsk:

A couple guys have mentioned Gorilla lugs and I can attest to their quality and durability. I've used the same lugs for over a year. Removed the wheels probably close to 20 times. Still going strong. I do however only use hand tools, never impact guns to tighten or remove lugs. Here's a link to what I have...

Gorilla Locking Lugs 14x1.5

:cheers:

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
U better be glad it didn't round off still secured on the wheel. I use the impact after I break them loose, and to run them snug. The chatter is what beats the material away.