jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
So tonight I went out to eat and parked the car. I got out of the car and then noticed how close my front spoiler was to scraping the curb. I knew that the BMR springs would be great and I knew the stance would look killer, but I had no idea I would be cutting it as close as I am to scraping on city curbs. I certainly do not think one can get any closer than this.
IMG_0952.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
So on Saturday I installed BMR's rear sway bar and BBK's headers (passenger side only). On Sunday, [MENTION=26707]Mootang[/MENTION] and I installed the front sway bar and deleon business along with the driver's side header.

This car is turning into a handling beast and sounds absolutely incredible. However, I must admit, if the install for the headers was not so difficult, I would remove them and replace them with the stock manifolds again for the following reasons:
1. The sound...not sure I really like the sound of the car with the headers...but maybe they need more time to brake in
2. The install...what a pain in the ass...seriously...
3. Performance...what performance...no detectable increase in torque or HP, but maybe everything has not broken in and I might need to reset my computer to re-learn everything.

In my opinion were the BBK headers worth the buy...not really. But too late.

Now as for BMR sway bars...WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!

Seriously, I went up to Auburn yesterday and took it around the turns and had an absolute blast.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
So on Saturday I installed BMR's rear sway bar and BBK's headers (passenger side only). On Sunday, @Mootang and I installed the front sway bar and deleon business along with the driver's side header.

This car is turning into a handling beast and sounds absolutely incredible. However, I must admit, if the install for the headers was not so difficult, I would remove them and replace them with the stock manifolds again for the following reasons:
1. The sound...not sure I really like the sound of the car with the headers...but maybe they need more time to brake in
2. The install...what a pain in the ass...seriously...
3. Performance...what performance...no detectable increase in torque or HP, but maybe everything has not broken in and I might need to reset my computer to re-learn everything.

In my opinion were the BBK headers worth the buy...not really. But too late.

Now as for BMR sway bars...WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!

Seriously, I went up to Auburn yesterday and took it around the turns and had an absolute blast.
Honestly shorty headers add slightly deeper tone but it should not dramatically change the sound of your car to the point where you'll want to go back to stock. Heck I'm running un-branded Magnaflow competitions and x pipe along with my shorties and it is still fairly quiet (though still significantly louder stock). What gaskets did you use? If you used those junky BBK crush gaskets, take them out and swap the stock MLS (multi layer steel) gaskets back in along with some copper RTV. Those BBK gaskets will blow out over time (no matter how many times you re-tighten them) causing severe exhaust leaks. You should not have to reset the battery to feel gains. Check out post #48 in this thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76385&page=4 While these numbers are nowhere near accurate (in fact ignore the hp/tq #s) I am making it still shows changes and gains are made from swapping from the stock log manifolds to DNA shorty headers.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Honestly shorty headers add slightly deeper tone but it should not dramatically change the sound of your car to the point where you'll want to go back to stock. Heck I'm running un-branded Magnaflow competitions and x pipe along with my shorties and it is still fairly quiet (though still significantly louder stock). What gaskets did you use? If you used those junky BBK crush gaskets, take them out and swap the stock MLS (multi layer steel) gaskets back in along with some copper RTV. Those BBK gaskets will blow out over time (no matter how many times you re-tighten them) causing severe exhaust leaks. You should not have to reset the battery to feel gains. Check out post #48 in this thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76385&page=4 While these numbers are nowhere near accurate (in fact ignore the hp/tq #s) I am making it still shows changes and gains are made from swapping from the stock log manifolds to DNA shorty headers.
I am re-using the ford gaskets. I knew the gaskets supplied by BBK were crap. The only reason why I would want to reset the computer is because I am getting some unexpected AFR's. I am running richer than I expected. I thought installing the BBK headers plus the big-mouth ram air scoop would lean out the mixture, not make it richer.

Once I drive the car once more, I think I will get used to the sound. You are correct in that the sound is deeper, but the overall tone that i had before is still there. What I liked about my setup before is that people compared it to a Maserati or Ferrari. Now I am unsure...but again, maybe I am still waiting for the headers to break in.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I am re-using the ford gaskets. I knew the gaskets supplied by BBK were crap. The only reason why I would want to reset the computer is because I am getting some unexpected AFR's. I am running richer than I expected. I thought installing the BBK headers plus the big-mouth ram air scoop would lean out the mixture, not make it richer.

Once I drive the car once more, I think I will get used to the sound. You are correct in that the sound is deeper, but the overall tone that i had before is still there. What I liked about my setup before is that people compared it to a Maserati or Ferrari. Now I am unsure...but again, maybe I am still waiting for the headers to break in.
Double check for exhaust leaks and if it is not leaking it may take a few drive cycles for it to compensate. However this is a good example on how every vehicle is different, both you and I could do the same mods correctly and have different outcomes. A properly datalogged custom tune would be your next logical step. :cheers:

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I'd love to see the pedals and paddle shifter extensions. I have the Scott Drake dead pedal as well as the gas and brake but haven't installed them yet.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I'd love to see the pedals and paddle shifter extensions. I have the Scott Drake dead pedal as well as the gas and brake but haven't installed them yet.
Here is a shot of the pedals.
IMG_0961.jpg

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! How difficult were they to install?
They weren't too bad. I recommend getting a 90° drill adaptor to make it easier to drill the holes. Also, do not follow Scott Drakes instructions as to which bracket to use for the accelerator pedal as they mixed it up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
And California Special splitter was installed yesterday. Love it. Feel that the splitter tastefully accentuates the wonderful lines of the car. And with that, the exterior modifications are complete (unless something else comes along that I might like).

Photos below show progression of modifications (of course, the modifications for the front and back are elsewhere in this thread, easy to find).

First photo is first when I bought the car. Second photo is after lowering the car. Final is with the C/S splitter. Enjoy :)
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg